1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Evan Johnson, HyTech Power, and Hydrogen for the Masses

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by kenmce, Feb 17, 2018.

1. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Article in Vox.com about another (apparently) heavy hitter who steps up to the challenge of Hydrogen.

And though HyTech Power, where Johnson serves as CTO, obviously seeks financial success, Johnson sees its products as something more: a way to use hydrogen to immediately reduce pollution while scaling up and driving down costs enough to enable more fundamental changes to the energy system.

HyTech Power may have solved hydrogen, one of the hardest problems in clean energy - Vox

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'soft spoken and deliberate, with a neatly trimmed beard', 'tall rangy and blonde'.
    i like how he gives you a description of each person he is writing about, so you don't have to use your imagination on how the technology works.

that was a long slog, but all i could come up with is another guy claiming another breakthrough with no proof.
    did i miss something?

#2 bisco, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    He forgot to say "loves to hold hands while taking long walks on the beach"

RCO and bisco like this.
  4. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    No, it is light on any kind of technical detail. I brought it here anyhow because fake or real, it's the kind of thing we should know about.

bisco likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The story reads like another HHO or brown gas fraud.

Bob Wilson

6. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is elementary, really. If the technology has not yet been developed to produce hydrogen efficiently, just go ahead and build it, you silly people!

Quote:

It begins with the electrolyzer, which pulls the hydrogen out of the water. Johnson couldn’t find one as cheap, simple, and efficient as he wanted, so he built his own.

/Quote

This "magic" new and more efficient electrolzer upon which the whole concept hinges was just built because Johnson couldn't find one that he liked. It's that simple! This is laughable at best.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    got nuthin' on my mr. fusion.

RCO and kenmce like this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Can you spare me a few banana peels?

9. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I couldn't get past the beginning, but looked up the company. I think they are putting out press trying to get investment. The chief product is hydrogen injection for diesel engines to reduce pollution. My guess is means Friends of CARB's fuel cell push may invest in the company for pr to reduce a little pollution from a small number of diesel trucks and busses and claim, hey hydrogen is great for the environment.

The tech idea is pretty old. You use excess electricity to create hydrogen, and store it in a tank. Then the hydrogen is port injected into the air at certain points to change the combustion character.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Hey - what ever it takes & whatever the cost .... status quo demands they avoid the impending Tesla semi.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...bunch of fluffy writing, with a bunch of obligatory bad-mouthing current technologies, as usual. If you got something better, it will speak for itself and be good invention for society.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    brown gas ? not sure if that's a slang name for hydrogen reformed from brown coal - or just the aftermath of cabbage & boiled eggs.

RCO likes this.
  13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Oxyhydrogen - Wikipedia

The term Brown's gas refers to oxyhydrogen with a 2:1 molar ratio of H2 and O2 gases, the same proportion as in water. It was named after Yull Brown (Ilia Valkov, Bulgarian: Илия Георгиев Вълков), who suggested it to be produced by the electrolysis of water to be used as a fuel for the internal combustion engine.[4] Later "Brown's gas" and HHO has become fringe science terms for a 2:1 mixture of oxyhydrogen obtained under certain special conditions; its proponents claim that it has special properties.[5]

Bob Wilson

RCO and hill like this.
  14. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob does have it right, just a little typo, as he said above, the company is producing brown's gas (2H2 +O2) from electrolysis on the vehicle or home. In the vehicle just like the scam artists, they are taking load from the alternator to produce the gas from water, then storing it in a tank.

The state of texas sued one of the scam artists companies for fraud. IIRC they bilked texas residents out of over $300K for such devices for cars as a efficiency measure, but unlike a hybrid's battery these things at most add a tiny bit to efficiency, and often make the vehicle less efficient.

This company though appears to be doing something more scientific. They are using the gas in a diesel engine at certain loads and temperatures to reduce pollution. It probably works, but not as well as diesel hybrid plug-in trucks or lng trucks or short haul electric trucks and busses. University of Wisconsin has a really interesting engine that has gasoline and diesel injectors. Depending on the cycle it can be much more efficient than diesel, and in all cycles there is much less pollution, which means less expensive particulate filters and not as much urea is needed for SCR.

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The sad thing is Brown's gas can work IF the engine needs a tune up. The lower ignition point means a crappy mixture or marginal spark plug can (might) work if there is enough Brown's gas in the mix. But I agree with @austingreen and the State of Texas ... fraud.

Bob Wilson

RCO and austingreen like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is obvious that the writer has no understanding of chemistry, but i don't understand it either, and she got a job as a writer, so she's one up on me.

RCO likes this.
  17. Twoflower

Twoflower New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There are some hard facts in the article, though buried pretty deep. Looks like FedEx believes in this technology at least!

"The ICA has been listed by the EPA as a candidate for emissions-reduction technology; respected testing firm SGS found that the ICA boosted the fuel efficiency of a FedEx delivery truck by 27.4 percent; FedEx is currently road testing the ICA on a fleet of trucks and finding 20 to 30 percent better fuel economy and substantially reduced DPF maintenance costs. In third-party testing, and in limited local sales around Redmond, the ICA has performed as promised."

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Installing a tank of hydrogen or brown gas in a commercial diesel truck for efficiency and emission improvements is magnitudes easier and cheaper than switching the individual car fleet to pure hydrogen for fuel.

RCO likes this.