1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

evap canister

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Smog, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Smog

Smog New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2012 Prius III with 120,000 miles just showed a "check engine" sign in the right side of my dash. Today I took the car to my local Toyota dealer and after checking it out I was told that is was the carbon filter (evap canister) "due to water getting into the filter and the lines." The charges are $939.00! But they did not have one in stock so I must schedule this repair for next week.
    Can I keep driving with this abnormality?
    Is this a reasonable charge?
    After I left the service department the light was no longer on but I was told that it will come back on in a few days.

Not sure what to do.

Smog

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, you can drive it. no, the price is outrageous.

are there any hybrid mechanics in your area?

if not, at least call around to other dealerships for competitive pricing.

3. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any idea how water was introduced into the system? Was it in a flood? Water shouldn’t be able to get into the system under normal circumstances. If it did, then there is a defective part. If you are in a C.A.R.B. State, this component should still be in warranty (10yrs or 150,000 miles). I would talk to Toyota direct.

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Another reason why you don't top off your gas at the pump all the way to the top, gasoline can make its way to the evap canister. If the part is not covered through the warranty, and when you fail smog check, there is a program that will help you financially with repairs if applicable in your state.

5. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Could you ask your dealer what error codes you are getting and post them here? That might help us help you.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but you are not damaging the car at all by driving with the check engine light on and a bad evap canister. The check engine light is all about emission control. The EVAP’s function is to keep gas fumes in the gasoline tank from reaching the atmosphere. You may be polluting the air a bit more than you would if the evap canister were not fouled.

A simple and cheap Scan tool that you can find on Amazon can reset the check engine light. There is a socket easily accessible under the steering wheel. You connect it, press "erase code" then unplug it. 30 seconds tops. As the dealer said, the check engine light will be off for several days after resetting, so plenty of time to get an inspection sticker if that is something your state requires. A state will not issue an inspection sticker to a car with the check engine light on.

6. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Typically your car will not pass emissions test by simply clearing the codes. Emmision test equipment will detect a code that’s been cleared resently without addressing the underlying problem. It takes enough mileage to verify the problem no longer exists. Most likely the MIL light will reappear before you can log enough mileage.
    For example: if you have a loose gas cap and it triggers the light, you can tighten the cap and the code will clear itself after a few miles. This isn’t the case with a defective emission control device.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does virginia have emissions testing?

8. Johnny Cakes

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes and no. If you live in 10 areas considered high population, then yes. Hybrids are exempt if the have an EPA city mileage rating of 50 or higher.

bisco likes this.
  9. Johnny Cakes

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    True. You must complete a drive cycle. You use the scan tool and verify that 0 monitors are incomplete and 8 are ready.

10. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good ol Californicate requires emission testing on all hybrids five years or older. There are so many Prii out here, they have to, to keep the money flowing. Bastigis’s!!!

11. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You will fail smog check even without a CEL but w/a monitor offline. Some mechanics will be nice enough to tell you that you probably just hooked up the battery. They'll also plug an "advanced" OBDII reader and tell you which monitors are offline. A mechanic I know who smogs even told me not all monitors need to be online to pass smog check also.