1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

evct transmission noise

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by xerox6135, Jul 25, 2013.

1. xerox6135

xerox6135 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    My Prius c has always made a high speed whirling noise when braking but now at speeds of 42 to 46 MPH this high speed whirling noise is there and when you are just coasting anybody else have a noisy transmission or is this something I should be getting to the dealer with

2. maddog61

maddog61 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sounds like the regenerative braking... never noticed transmission noise....

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    best thing to do is take a drive with the service manager. if he thinks it's normal, drive a new one to see if it makes the same noise. these cars aren't silent, so, it's hard to say what's normal and what isn't without a comparison.

4. X HCH2

X HCH2 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  5. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

There's only 2 c's here and neither exhibited the noise you describe. Make sure you document the call to your dealer by getting a copy of the shop report and make sure the sound is well descibed. Additionally, it wouldn't hurt to strap a tape recorder to the transmission and document the sounds there as well. Resting on the tranny will pick up sounds you don't hear in the drivers seat but which are important to the investtgatuing engineer.
    good luck.
    PS your description sounds like a rough place on one of the cones.

6. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Cones?

7. ChinchillaGirl

ChinchillaGirl OrcaCar

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I've had a similar experience while decelerating from about 65to 45 - coasting, no brakes. Sounds a little like howling zombies, or a decelerating spaceship, I can't make up my mind. And, I notice it also only happens when outside temps are over about 80F. Heat shields?

8. type17volkswagen

type17volkswagen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Mine does this (or something similar-sounding) too at around the same speed. To me, it sounds enough like the usual regen sound only faster and louder.