1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Even more petty complaint -- Cupholders

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mjw, Nov 11, 2005.

1. mjw

mjw New Member

OK, so this is really petty, but I am so disappointed with the cupholders in my '05. With all the fantastic engineering in the car, why are these so poor? I'm dreading the day when I spill coffee in the new car.

1) They're shallow (compare them to the height of a typical coffee travel mug).
    2) There's no spring-loaded arms or other similar device to "grab" your cup and hold it steady in these big rectangular openings.
    3) There's no padding to keep the cup from rattling around.

The ones in our '03 Accord were MUCH better than the ones on the Prius. Of course, we still traded in the Accord for the Prius...

Anybody found a good insert that makes the cupholders more tolerable?

The same commute that pushed me to get the Prius also pushes me for coffee every morning!

mike

2. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have a problem with them. The one towards the front is not as good for larger cups (great for soda cans), but the other one has been fine for anything I've put in it.

3. shawn7

shawn7 New Member

Not a coffee drinker. Sorry.

Maybe a coozie to put the mug in? Might make the bottom diameter larger...

~Shawn

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My last car didn't have any cupholders so anything's an improvement.

5. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< I note that mjw is a "new" Forum poster. I note his/her "Petty" description of the "complaint." I am reminded of music critics who take the title "critic" quite literally - just have to find something to criticize. Just some offhanded observations.

The cup holders work quite well for me, as does the rest of my Prius. What a remarkable engineering achievement.

7. mjw

mjw New Member

That's why I said it's petty :) I love my Prius -- I am an engineer, and I absolutely think the engineering involved in this car is amazing -- my post wasn't intended to be taken as any more than a little light-hearted observation...

Anyways, I'll see ya around -- not sure when I stop being listed as a "new" poster, but I'm planning on keeping this car for a long time, and I've been really enjoying PC :)

mike

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I got your back, MJW.

I'll admit that one of the first things I noticed was the shallowness of the cup holders - especially the one in the front. I have a tall coffee travel mug and HAVE to put it in the back one. Not a problem except that my wife will sometimes have a bottle of water and it will fall out of the front one. Yeah, yeah, I know there are water jug holders in the doors, but they are actually too large.

As for the rattling, my travel mug is stainless steel. When it's empty and I'm on even the slightest of bumpy roads, it rattles around.

I will say that for the length of my arms, the placement of the cup holders is perfect.

9. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    1-liter bottles fit in the front non-folding cupholder just fine. Anything else I regularly put there rattles around. I'd have preferred an auto-adapting holder...

10. darwin100

darwin100 New Member

well compared with the cup holders in my old car which blocked access to the heater, the radio and almost evrrything else these are a dream!

11. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i like 'em a lot...esp. how they disappear from sight.

12. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  13. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm not the biggest fan but my old civic didn't have anything so it's an improvement. Still, the tall skinny 24 oz (710 mL) bottles don't sit well in them. They're tall and too skinny for the holders so they bounce around a lot. Does anyone have a suggestion about ways to improve them? I really like the VW holds. Those are the best stock ones I've seen yet.

14. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What we need is a custom shaped PriusChat Insulated Coffee mug that snugs right in there :p

15. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How 'bout two different styes, one for each hold, custom fit. :p :p

16. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  17. JKnight

JKnight Member

The cup holders in my classic are kind of pathetic. The rear fold-down ones tend to fold completely out and drop on the floor.

My previous car, an Acura Integra, however, had no cupholders whatsoever.

I believe this is the one area in which American manufacturers have a definite edge over the Japanese. :)

Jan

18. slortz

slortz New Member

Add me to the petty complainer list. :p We must all use the same type of coffee mug. Every morning when I back out of my drive way I have to hang onto the mug as the car goes over the curb to the street. Otherwise, the mug teeters over and coffee seeps out all over the lid and down the sides...quite irksome.

19. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Unless the cup is seriously loose, take this as a challenge up your ability to drive smoothly, especially turns, so you don't spill anything. :)

20. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

Just like the driving test in Licensed To Drive. Spill the full cup of coffee and fail. Love Mercedes (Heather Grahm) in that movie.