1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Even more petty complaint -- Cupholders

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mjw, Nov 11, 2005.

1. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

They never have those light disks in stock. Anywhere else I can get them? Do they run off batteries?

2. mjw

mjw New Member

Best idea yet!

3. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    And not spilling the coffee translates directly to better tire grip because you're not jerking the car around, or pushing it over traction limits (on none-icy ground).

4. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Anyone know what mfg.first equipped a car with a cupholder?

How did we LIVE without them?

After spilling innumerable half-filled cups (only hold heat a short time, have to drink too fast), which I tried to keep wedged in the right-hand corner of the footwell, I finally had to buy one of those heavy ceramic monstrosities with a 3-inch-diameter drinking lip and a 6-in.-diameter base.

5. emizzion

emizzion New Member

You Americans and your cupholders!! I have to laugh. My front cupholder work fine for my coffiecup, even my chewing tobacco fits nice in there! :p

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    mjw, even the one closer to the console isn't deep enough? Hmm...I do think it's a bit annoying that we don't have the foam pieces for different sized cups but I rarely use the cupholders. I always have one bottle of water in each of the door pockets. I do think the most forward one is shallow, probably for cans only.

emizzion, I remember when it was the biggest thing when we have two front cupholders and then the next big thing to have rear cupholders (single or <gasp> dual!) hahaha

7. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My coffee flew out of the cupholder when I had to stop hard yesterday. Good thing I had it slgithly sealed so nothing got on the upolstery. The cupholders could definatlely use some improvement.

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had to retire my old cup when I got my Prius. It is the only major irritation I have with the car but it just would not fit. It is a MRI stainless covered coffee mug that my son got for me my birthday with his first pay check he ever made. Took almost all the paycheck, he was 15. The cup now sits in a place of honour in my shop! I like the idea of a Prius custom cup.

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    mike,

Being a veteran poster does not necessarily makes one a wise poster. On the other hand, some of the newer members are amongst the most informative contributors here.

Welcome aboard.

10. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

What a wonderful thing! :) My smile for the day - thanks for sharing

11. amacd

amacd Junior Member

I want a holder that will hold a standard Aladdin 12 ounce mug with lid that are sold at almost all mini-mart gas stations. These mugs have been around for years. Mine have a Dari Mart logo on them, but each station has their own logo even though the mugs are all the same. NONE of the holders will hold those mugs. Not in the door, not in the back, not anywhere but between one's legs, like the dumb broad that sued McDonalds.

12. Asian Brad

Asian Brad New Member

seconded!

actually, my car had two "cup stands" which were on the inside of the glove box. they were just flat, round stands to put your cup on. since there was nothing at all on the sides, it was only meant to be used while not in motion. like an afterthough. silly nissan.

13. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

Before getting too "heated up" over the woman who was burned by hot McDonalds coffee, consider that she required a 7-day hospital stay and skin grafts as a result, and that the Jury only fined McDonalds a dollar amount equivalent to two days of coffee sales.

Web sites:
    McDonalds coffee and the Liebeck lawsuit
    http://www.osmond-riba.org/lis/essay_mcdonalds.htm

McFacts abut the McDonalds Coffee Lawsuit
    http://lawandhelp.com/q298-2.htm

McDonalds Hot Coffee Lawsuit and Beyond
    http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0122-11.htm

14. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How about some of that non-slip liner stuff with the holes in it that you can get - usually with the Contact paper display at any hardware store?

Here is one at Camping World:
    Camping World

15. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We're always holding our tall coffee cups on sharp turns...what I wish it had was a coin holder.

16. mwhaley99

mwhaley99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  17. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My old '98 Cavalier convertible had 1 cupholder and it was about 2 inches deep. When I'm working, I buy a 24 ounce cup of coffee at a convenience store. In the Cavalier, it almost always fell out of the cupholder, no matter how slowly and smoothly I drove. At least the Prius usually keeps my cup in the cupholder!

Since I have a short commute and like my coffee 'cool', I rarely drink any coffee in the car - only on long trips, and then I don't drink it for at least 30 minutes. Then I can drink enough to lower the amount of coffee in the cup significantly, and put the cap back on.

My daughter-in-law has a Subaru Forrester, and the cupholders pop out of the dashboard - thin squares of plastic with a hole in the center so you insert your cup part way, and since the diameter of the cup increases from bottom to top, the cup stays firmly in the holder, especially when the height above the 'holder' is much smaller than the 'height' below it - gravitly holds the cup firmly in place.

But, for me, the cup holders are relatively insignificant. There are enough 'niceties' in the Prius interior to make up for the imperfect cup holder.

If there WERE some kind of insert for the holder to accomodate 'standard' take-out coffee cups, I might buy one. If there were a mug specifically designed for the Prius, I probably wouldn't bother. I like the 'disposable' cups; that way I don't have to worry about dragging a cup in and out of the house and having to wash it each night, AND to have to make my own coffee every morning! I make coffee at home on weekends - the Chocalate Macademia Nut coffee at either of two convenience stores between home and my job is too good to pass up! And if I'm running late, I'll wait 'til I get to the office - the free coffee there is pretty decent <g>

Okay, you've outted me - I'm lazy!

18. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There's one absolutely foolproof method where you won't spill a drop of coffee in your car....pop a No-Doz in the morning!!! :) It has 200 mg of caffeine, about what you'd probably get in a large cup o' joe. It's probably a lot cheaper as well, especially if you buy a store brand. Seriously...give it a try. No more burned tongues or coffee stains on your clothes either!!

(Disclaimer--I never could stand the taste of coffee long enough to get addicted to the caffeine in it, so I only use caffeine pills when I have to stay alert on long road trips.)

19. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

Frankly, I like the cup holders in the prius. It's simple. It's easy to clean.

20. OriginalGT

OriginalGT New Member

YOU GUYS DRINK IN YOUR PRIUS! :eek: No food or beverage in my car.