1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Even SoCal won't have the 2008 ready until nov. or dec?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sea-horsea, Aug 24, 2007.

1. sea-horsea

sea-horsea Junior Member

is it right or ?? I was told by 2 dealers that they won't have the 2008 ready for sale until nov. or dec. and since Prius is a popular car for Toyota and the inventory are getting low they won't have much discount off the MSRP...is it true? I am planning on buying a Prius either a pkg. #2 or #5 and now I am confused..wut should I do...thank you

2. jstack

jstack New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sea-horsea @ Aug 24 2007, 02:18 AM) [snapback]501435[/snapback]</div>
    TOYOTA has said they will not produce the 2008 model early. They have checked as wanted to release it as the first lithium battery hybrid but decided not to with all the lithium battery issues in the news. They have said it will be a jump ahead in technology but haven't publicly said too much. They don't want to tip off the competition.

In Europe the have the vitz model that is a little smaller. That could become a 70 -100 mpg hybrid. They have also said they are looking at having 3 prius models a smaller one, the same as now and a more luxury bigger model.

They are also testing a few plug-in hybrids but also have no firm announcments. Only time will tell.

If I was waiting I'd buy one now. They are too good to wait. I have a 2005 model and love it. The only option I would like is the plug-in choice. BUY NOW, ENJOY NOW help Save the world now.

3. Sonny Jim

Sonny Jim New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Obviously no one can make the decision for you, but if you are ready to buy and do not want to wait for a 2008, there are dealers with plenty of inventory in stock who are willing to negotiate.

I purchased mine from Longo Toyota in El Monte, and they show 80 Prii in stock as of this morning. Click here--> http://www.longotoyota.com/VehicleSearchRe...l=discountPrice

Between the Toyota "Eco-nomic Savings Program" and the discount I negotiated, I saved almost $4500 on a 2007 package #6. I actually paid less for it than I did for my 2005 package #6 :huh:

If you are set on a 2008, then by all means wait for one. But they may not have the Eco-nomic Savings Program on 2008s, and may not be willing to discount as deeply. Then again, maybe they will. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. :)

4. sea-horsea

sea-horsea Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sonny Jim @ Aug 24 2007, 08:30 AM) [snapback]501501[/snapback]</div>
    Sonny Jim who did you buy it from and how much was it OTD when you bought it? I mean wow $4500 off...I can go this weekend and get it...let me know thank you :p

5. Sonny Jim

Sonny Jim New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sea-horsea @ Aug 24 2007, 02:18 PM) [snapback]501729[/snapback]</div>
    You have a PM...Good luck :D

6. sea-horsea

sea-horsea Junior Member

Thanks for the info. Sonny...what month did you get the car?

I found a pkg 5 window price at $26344.....does anyone thinks that I can get it down to $24500 out the door with cash? If so I will be a proud owner of a new prius by end of the month. Thank you all.

7. Sonny Jim

Sonny Jim New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sea-horsea @ Aug 26 2007, 01:17 AM) [snapback]502282[/snapback]</div>
    August 2007, I bought it less than three weeks ago.

8. ronmarcusps

ronmarcusps New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sea-horsea @ Aug 26 2007, 01:17 AM) [snapback]502282[/snapback]</div>
    You should be able to get close, paricularly if you use the Costco car buyer's program and if that particular dealer is Costco's dealer in your area. Log on to Costco.com click under "services" and then car buying, enter your info and you will immediately get a list of the Toyota dealers in your area. I live in SoCal as well, and my local "Costco price" was $900 above dealer invoice which was about $1500 less than sticker! As far as waiting for the '08's, if you like the car I would get it now, as the '08's are likely to be higher priced due to the recent rapid appreciation of the yen against the dollar. IMHO, anyway. . .

9. lolabelle

lolabelle New Member

Hey Seahorse,

I'm moving to L.A. in late October and have called every area Toyota dealership for quotes on a 3-year lease for a 2008 Prius and not one of them has told me that I won't be able to get my car by then. Where did you hear this?

10. sea-horsea

sea-horsea Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lolabelle @ Aug 26 2007, 10:57 AM) [snapback]502356[/snapback]</div>
    just told by a internet manager from longo saying they should start to get the 2008 prius deliver to them in 2 weeks but he's not sure if they will start selling it right away though...I guess they not sure about when the corportate will allow them to sell the new 2008s.

but thanks for the info. I am gonna go shop for my new car now....will update with you guys. Thanks again.

11. lolabelle

lolabelle New Member

Hi again Seahorse -

I think that's pretty unlikely because the only reason they would hold back selling the 2008s once they've received them is if they haven't sold out of their 2007 stock and we all know how well the Prius is selling in SoCal (and across the globe)!

I was even thinking maybe I could get a special price on a 2007 once the 2008s are out but the dealers have all matter-of-factly told me there will be no 2007s left by the time I come to pick up my car (late October).

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lolabelle @ Aug 26 2007, 01:39 PM) [snapback]502422[/snapback]</div>
    You'll do better if you don't insist on being able to step right into your exact color/package car the minute you step off the plane. The more desperate you are, the more they'll lie and then bait and switch. Plus add on high priced cr@p you don't want. Captive audience. They know you'll take whatever they give you at whatever price they quote.

And it may still be a 2007. Even in October.

If the 2008s truly won't be out until Dec. on then there WILL still be 2007s in October. And you should be able to get a good deal by then. But probably not in L.A.

Make sure you read the threads on the dealers...good and bad. Start making a list of dealerships that have jerked people around so you know to avoid them. Your North Hollywood dealer may be one of them.