1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Event Data Recorder in Prius 2006 ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by smcracraft, Nov 26, 2006.

1. kDB

kDB New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Nov 27 2006, 07:01 AM) [snapback]354392[/snapback]</div>
    They might be up to five minutes now. It's really just up to the manufacturer. Though I think it would be pretty rare to need more than the last ~30 seconds of data before an accident to tell what went wrong.

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Nov 27 2006, 07:01 AM) [snapback]354392[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly... its pretty funny... the only ones I see with problems about big brother, ie: phone tapping, money tranactions etc, are the ones that have something to hide.

I don't think uncle sam cares about my job, or what I"m getting for groceries.

There is always fear someone can take that info and misuse it... and thats true... we don't trust uncle sam due to a history of reckless harsh dealings with us through the IRS, and other governing offices that seem totally incompetent without care or regard for our actual lives who only go for blood without the mentality of "serving".

No one wants to hand thier lives over to an authority they cannot trust will serve them.
    After all, so far, we still live in America and we are free agents.

With that being said.. as soon as knowledge of these little black boxs hit the media, there will be a revolt.
    So far, they have managed to squash that info.

Personally, if "I" am the one buying my car, I expect I should have a choice over what I am getting, how much, and how its configured.

Sneaking them in on us if the very thing that destroys any shread of trust we may have had.

Even if the companies are the ones who are instigating it "which I question" we should know about it in advance and be given a choice.

We are talking about "companies" here....... institutions who only want to make money for the most part... who skimp on parts, expense, and weight as much as possible.

We buy cars with airbags because thats our choice and preference.. but do you think it will be a good selling item to advertize the little black box?.. people won't even turn into the parking lot of the dealer once they learn about those.

Maybe the companies are tired of being sued for things the drivers are really doing?.... maybe, .....but we should still know about it, since its personal information they are holding.

If its not already so, next they will be tied to the gps to track exact our locations all in the name of finding your car if its stolen!

Its true, I agreed to buy a car at a certain price and I got my car..... but my expectation of a car did not have a black box in it!

Shouldn't you get what you are expecting, no less and "NO MORE?"

3. nicoss

nicoss New Member

Much discussion on “how the black box MIGHT be usedâ€.
    Many personal views on “why it SHOULD or SHOULD NOT be usedâ€.
    Unanswered question: Is there a “black box†in the Prius?

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Nov 27 2006, 11:27 AM) [snapback]354415[/snapback]</div>
    True, but only if you drive on your own roads. We often have to compromise when we share resources with the public, such as with speed limits, stop signs, and not smoking in theaters. My autos are required to have functioning brake lights even if I don't like brake lights. I might not like it, but the majority of the public and our lawmakers think it is a good idea, so I'm stuck with the lights. I can take them off when I drive on my own land.

Tom

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The question has been answered. the answer is yes. There is a black box data recorder in the Prius - it doesn't record your life's history, just a very short sliding window when you are in an accident. As Galaxee told us, it's activated by the airbag deployment (and since her DH is a Prius tech, it's probably good information).

6. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Nov 27 2006, 10:07 AM) [snapback]354429[/snapback]</div>
    At this point its relatively harmless.... but just the fact that they didn't tell us about it tends to make you think they may add more.

The way governmental agencies work is they are always looking for avenues that are already established to step in and alter "in the good of public interest of course"... then what else will be added later.. gps?... maybe a 72 hour history... memory chips are very cheap!...

Its just the fact is so secretive makes me not trust the whole gammet.

If its activated by airbad deployment, then isn't it pretty useless?... how many accidents happen "after sliding" for 50 feet? Can that box tell if your tires weren't turning because you were skidding or airborne or on water, snow or ice?
    How can it tell the mph at point of impact?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Nov 27 2006, 10:04 AM) [snapback]354426[/snapback]</div>
    I understand sacrificing for the good of the whole, but

Who voted these in?
    And why the big secret?
    Why are not the details of what they hold made available?
    Why don't they want you to know?

Do you really not mind finding out about these?.. what else are they gonna pull?
    Can't they just be open and say "its mandated that all new cars will have this"... are they afraid of the will of the people being followed?

Is this "really" a
    when did you cast your vote? I don't recall even knowing about it?

I guess once the word gets out, if it sticks then we will know people can live with it.

And we wonder why people don't trust the government?... oh I forgot "they" know best.. we are just children wandering around with no voting power or sense to know whats best.

I wonder how "they" got into such an office to know what we want without asking?.. Did "we" really give them permission?

Or were we lied to with the typical political games and then they just did what they wanted keeping it a secret?

7. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it can be difficult when taking into account ice and water and such - thats why it's probably not just a 10 second window. Plus, it also records things such as accelerator and brake pedal position, wheel angle, etc. This indicates your driving intention. So if it show that you were going along at the speed limit, slammed on the brakes as hard as possible, and hit someone 30 seconds later, it's pretty clear there were some other factors (since you should have been stopped long before that). obviously, thats in the extreme, but you get the idea... it's not just velocity that's measured and recorded to attempt to recreate the situation.

And i definitely agree with you... the secrecy around the whole thing is rather disturbing. This type of thing *should* be posted right on the window sticker at the dealer: *Now with a 5 minute accident memory!*

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Nov 27 2006, 10:33 AM) [snapback]354441[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly my wishes.... at least the people can either get excited at its benifits or get enraged and it "lack" of benifits.. at least the people will decide, not some slick devil lobbying congress to help thier court cases.

9. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Nov 27 2006, 08:40 AM) [snapback]354443[/snapback]</div>
    I missed the law which required this tattle tale. I thought it was the companies which decided to install these things to protect themselves from the liability which their owners present to them.

If you think this kind of thing is going away because it makes you uncomfortable, you have another think coming.

10. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

ok my question is how do they get the data out of the box. Pull a chip and read it in a reader or ??? if it's just in a chip cut the lead that puts the data in the chip. If and when some accident occures and they go to get the "goods" on you they'll find a big blank chip. Data storage is usually end unit, meaning it's the last thing that happens to the data and it should be easy to stop it getting stored. So has anybody pulled the ABS ECU to see if they can tell which chip is the memory? Man makes them man can stop them.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Our insurance corporation was doing a pilot project earlier this year or some time last year.

They offered to put an EDR in your vehicle and given your driving habits, charge the appropriate cost of insurance.

That may seem extreme at first but to be honest, I'm sick of paying high premiums just because other 16-25 year olds crash their expensive BMWs or ricer Civics.

Our insurance corp. claims they don't charge differently based on race, gender, age etc etc but it's obvious that there's a group labelled 16-25 and anyone in there gets slapped with higher premiums whether they've crashed or not.

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 27 2006, 11:48 AM) [snapback]354462[/snapback]</div>
    I do like the concept of that idea.. but some people drive "fast" and are safe... others aren't.
    I have never had an accident, nor caused one.. some people cause accidents for going too slow, but that would look really good on there black box readout.

Some of the people who drive the slowest are the drunks.....

The information gathered on the box would not be a good indicator of safe driving and likelihood of an accident.

Of course the color of your car isn't either and they don't mind using that against you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Nov 27 2006, 11:00 AM) [snapback]354451[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sure thats their big fear!....

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Nov 27 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]354476[/snapback]</div>
    True but I think it's more like how many times you touch the brake pedal at any speed over 20mph haha. That may indicate tailgating.

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 27 2006, 12:16 PM) [snapback]354477[/snapback]</div>
    Could be.. but nervous nellies do that too.. I have a sister in law that drives me crazy!.. I hate to ride with her.. she is constantly tapping the brakes for no reason....

Its really hard to tie a common denominator to all people and come to a general conclusion that works.

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

These things HAVE been in the media. After all, that's how this topic got started!

As for GPS, already done. Have you heard of OnStar?

Info up to impact can be quite useful, no matter what ECU is doing the storing. Originally it was freezframe data for diagnostic purposes, and still is used for that. Vehicle speed, outdoor temp, engine temp, engine RPM, wheel speeds (may require ABS to have that data), etc. A triggered DTC will record at least some of this info. And guess what? Airbag deployment has a DTC!

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32 @ Nov 27 2006, 12:21 PM) [snapback]354481[/snapback]</div>
    I knew about onstar, but you pay for that or get a trial that runs out.. at any rate you choose to have it.

17. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kDB @ Nov 27 2006, 09:40 AM) [snapback]354407[/snapback]</div>
    The last thing that I read in BusinessWeek mentions only a few seconds but I know that the figure has been listed in other articles as five minutes:

Bringing "black boxes" into the open. According to legislation signed into law on Sept. 16, manufacturers must disclose the use of an event data recorder (EDR) on any vehicle sold or leased in the state [of New York]. Commonly called "black boxes," EDRs capture and record vehicle speed, steering and braking inputs, and other data for several seconds immediately before a crash. Nearly all Ford and General Motors vehicles now come equipped with factory-installed EDRs, as do a substantial number of cars and trucks from other manufacturers.

update
    Of course, I may have remembered it being 5 minutes when, in fact, it was 5 seconds but I'll keep looking. One of the more interesting things that I came across:
    http://www.keepyoursecrets.com/Secret/secfrm_00gps.html

also: http://www.johncglennon.com/automobiledatarecorders.cfm
    ---
    http://www.harristechnical.com/cdr.htm
    ---
    http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/edr.html
    ---
    From http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7386

"Toyota reports that all its '05 models except Scion xA and xB, Lexus IS300, Tacoma, Tundra, and GX470 have EDRs. These black boxes are mounted under the seat, behind the center console or in the instrument panel, varying from one vehicle to another."
    ---

18. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Most OnStar users are unaware thast even when turned off, it is possible for the OnStar people to listen in to conversatoins in the car. Just declare you as "suspicious" and then you can get a warrant (thanks to Bush's war on freedom, oops I meant to say, war on "terror") and they can listen in.

They never told you that when you bought it, did they?

19. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 27 2006, 10:48 AM) [snapback]354462[/snapback]</div>
    I would love this, but then I am probably considered a granny driver since I drive the speed limit and use my blinkers o_O to signal a lane change.

20. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Nov 27 2006, 11:05 AM) [snapback]354498[/snapback]</div>
    What? You have turn signals and use them for lane changes. It seems like most people don't even use them when turning at an intersection. It always irritates me when I've waiting to cross and intersection and don't know whether the other person intends to turn or go straight. Basically I can't trust them to do either.

The other think that irritates me is people that use the turn signal, but not until they've actually started to turn.

Dave M.