1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ever run out of gas in your Prius ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by stevedegraw, May 31, 2006.

1. landstander

landstander darling no baka

A place where the nuts hunt the squirrels
    Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prakash @ Jun 20 2006, 02:47 AM) [snapback]273977[/snapback]</div>
    How much fuel did you add? It takes 3 gallons for the computer to register the change, so this could well be the reason if you used (say) a 2-gallon gas can.

One thing to keep in mind is that running out of fuel can be rather hard on the hybrid battery... particularly if you keep pushing to reach a gas station until the car won't move anymore. If the battery fails as a result of this, Toyota will not replace it under warranty.

2. HSV GTO

HSV GTO New Member

guy have a look at this car and tell me how much fuel you reckon she burns and get back to me with your answer

3. landstander

landstander darling no baka

A place where the nuts hunt the squirrels
    Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HSV GTO @ Jun 20 2006, 06:42 AM) [snapback]274006[/snapback]</div>
    Are you sure that beastie isn't rated in GPM (Gallons Per Mile)?

4. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I never ran out of gas in my 04 Prius but did run out on my first tank of gas in my 06. It went from one bar to flashing to empty in about 10 miles. The 04 would make it about 70 miles and still have a gallon left. My wife teased me to no end.

She borrowed my car for an overnight trip yesterday. I just got the phone call from her asking what all the flashing lights were and why the car wouldn't go anymore. I immediately thought the worst but then thought to ask her how many bars the fuel gage had. When she said one flashing one I knew what happened. I then asked her how long she drove after all the flashing lights came on and she said about a mile and didn't have a good answer as to why she didn't just stop.

AAA is on its way and I hope two deep discharges of the battery don't have any long term effect. We now both know to fillup when it hits two bars because this Prius is much less predictable than the old.

I guess I should be a kind gentleman and not tease her the way she did me.

5. genalex

genalex Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(janetjanetbobanet @ Jun 1 2006, 04:22 AM) [snapback]263930[/snapback]</div>
    Would pressing the reset button on the MFD have prevented the confused displays?

6. taoofbean

taoofbean New Member

Fracking A, I ran out of gas on my third tank in the Prius ever.

I was asleep in the passenger seat when my copilot who, apparently oblivious due to the AC on high and music on high, said "Whoah what is goign on!" I looked and the dash looked like a fracking Christmas Tree. Scrambling to look up the lights in the manual as he glided to a stop off the Interstate, I asked how much gas was left. None or one blinking light. Unbelievable.

Thankfully, after a restart, we cruised 1/2 a mile slowly downhill to a station and did a full refill.

It scared the living crap out of me.

7. meezercat

meezercat New Member

I just filled up for the first time tonight. Was at 2 pips this morning and stopped on my way to work, and every stinking pump was taken. It's 25 miles each way for me, so I figured I'd be fine to get it on the way home. Stopped at the grocery store tonight (not out of my way at all), and when I started back up in the parking lot, I was at one pip. I knew I was about 10 miles from the gas station, and luckily I made it before it even started flashing, but I was nervous, not having any idea how long it would take before the flashing started. Maybe next time I will just wait for a pump to free up ;)

8. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Of course, I drove it in the parkway to the last drop because I wanted to see how much can I squize out of the gas tank and the warning indicator lights. The EV mode kicked in, drove it safely to the shoulder and I start pouring the spare gas container that I have it prepared for the ocasion. That was the time when I made my major miles x gl in my life, about 64MPG. Never tryed again, thou. ;)

9. janetjanetbobanet

janetjanetbobanet Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(electricity_guzzler @ Jun 1 2006, 08:45 AM) [snapback]263982[/snapback]</div>
    My fuel gauge is acting OK now, seemed to recover by itself; and my mileage is good, guess I ended up being lucky.