1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ever wonder what would happen if a Buick hits a Prius broad?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by viffer_pilot, May 13, 2005.

1. shivan

shivan New Member

My VW Fox was totaled out due to frame damage

Good to hear you are relatively unharmed. Sucks that the guy got off with just a ticket. I would be very upset if anyone hurt my Prius. My children tease me about how it has replaced them as my baby.

Stand firm on having it be totaled and getting a replacement. His insurance company will be responsible for paying for it. Your insurance company should fight for your rights. Here's my story:

From a dead stop, my Volkswagon Fox jumped forward into someone's back bumper. The bumper was one of those chrome tubes set up higher than normal. It smashed the front grill and headlights. His bumper had a few scratches, my car was still drivable. Neither of us was cited.

He went ballistic on me because his bumper got scratched but backed down when my son's 6'2" friend stepped out of the car. My insurance company totaled out the car because the frame was bent. It wasn't bent too badly and the repairs were close to the cost of replacing it. But my agent explained to me that once the frame is bent, it is never the same. They could straighten it out but the metal would never be the same strength as it had been.

So just because it doesn't look too bad, doesn't mean that structurally it is sound. Your safety should come first.

2. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope USAA takes care of you. That is who I have. When my F250 was stolen they paid me what it would sell for in this area. I actually came out $8k ahead. Since the Prius is in such high demand I would think you would get more also. Please let us know how much they thought the Prius was worth in your area.

3. Hybrid_Dave

Hybrid_Dave New Member

Re: Ever wonder what would happen if a Buick hits a Prius br

Sorry to see those pictures, and that you had to endure that accident. The important thing is you walked away from it with only minor scrapes and injury. Good luck on your search for a new '05 or waiting for an '06. I don't even have mine yet, but as soon as I get it, I don't think I could wait for an '06 because of an accident, I'm sure I'd miss driving it greatly. Either way, at least you'll be taken care of hopefully.

Dave.

4. jsutherl

jsutherl New Member

Speaking of walking away so did this driver appearantly with a few scratches and a bruise or two. I'm looking forward to driving a car that is designed to crush around the 'space cage'.

Awaiting Salsa Red Pearl pkg.4

5. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

Yeah, but I'll bet the doors don't work very well.

6. jsutherl

jsutherl New Member

But lots of good window exits! ....No good parts left even....I was reading how Toyota engineered the frame by tapering the wall thickness of structural parts to divert energy away from occupants. Also designing the pillars to deform in a certain way to avoid the shoulders and neck. do not know if that stuff helped here but I've got a reply now for my 4X4 buddies who say I wouldn't survive a close encounter with one of them.

Red pkg. 6 huh? How many miles?

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Well, maybe you could turn it into a treehouse. :?

8. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So what happened???