1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Everything died while going down the road! Please help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by #1 Toyota salesman, Jun 28, 2018.

1. #1 Toyota salesman

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First off, please excuse the screen name, become a member on here many years ago when I sold Toyotas. Forgot I even had a profile here until I want to make one, for some help on my current car.

2007 Prius
    Recently acquired it, he was selling because the dealership told him he needed a new AC compressor, and that the part of the inverter that controlled the AC, was going bad.
    Put a salvage yard compressor on it, I know what I'm doing with AC, while. Instant air-conditioning.
    Ordered an inverter...had some issues with the condition of the one I received, so I was sent to another one, low mileage off of 2009. It arrived the other day...
    That night...I was Driving down the highway, cruise control shut off, VSC parking brake red triangle lit up on the dash. Within two minutes I lost all power. Except the 12v power. All lights horn lock turn signals hazards work. Dead screens nothing when I hit the power button.
    12 V battery is a 2y/o correct replacement, and shows 12.59v , the fusible link shows 12.58v, at both ends.
    I was very hopeful, that it was the inverter, since when I pulled the lid off the old inverter, it just smelled like burnt electric and ozone .
    I just got done replacing the inverter, on the side of the road and 95° weather, but it was not fun. Needless to say, I wouldn't be posting, if that had done the trick. Still nothing when I hit the power button.
    PLEASE HELP
    It's on the side of the road 80 miles from my house. And I'm worried that it will be towed away, with all the holiday traffic.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you test the inverter pump?

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    12v battery.
    Feel free to call me if you want to do some trouble shooting in real time

Chodronish likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check the am2 fuse in the engine compartment, if it's blown, then your inverter pump most likely shorted. You can disconnect the harness to the pump and replace the fuse. That should allow you to start it and drive a short distance.

I've attached a picture of how to disconnect the pump Screenshot_2018-06-16-13-14-02.jpeg

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you 80 miles from Greer/Spartenburg, in the direction of Columbia?
    In the photo above, the AM2 fuse is on the right, the bottom 15 amp fuse.

If it is blown, as mentioned above, it is most likely due to the inverter coolant pump.

There are two options:
    Just replace the fuse and hope for the best or unplug the inverter pump, then replace the fuse and hope for the best.

If you're close to Columbia, I can throw some tools in a bag, grab my laptop, a practically new 12v and a used inverter pump I have in the shop. If it ends up being the pump we could install it right on the road.

#5 TMR-JWAP, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Chodronish and SFO like this.
  6. #1 Toyota salesman

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That was intentionally long , to detail what happened, as well as illustrate that I have addressed all the usual suspects...
    THANKS AGAIN!

7. #1 Toyota salesman

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Normally I would say yes I am, however the car broke down your Fairplay, on 85, near the Georgia border.
    The car is on the side of the road, for the night, as I have to go to work in Spartanburg. I will check that fuse when I go back to it in the morning. This is what I was looking for, further ways to diagnose it. Sidenote, I replaced the inverter pump also on the side of the road. I had everything ready to go,
    perhaps in the morning on my way back to the car, I will stop at a junkyard, that I know has a Prius in it. And grab a couple of fuses.

8. #1 Toyota salesman

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've only owned the car for a few thousand miles . Even though the car was well maintained mechanically, since the inverter was being replaced, I went ahead and had already bought a new OE Toyota pump .
    I've also already changed the oil/filter, plugs, transaxle fluid. My new VVT oil control valve comes tomorrow (was getting P0011 codes)
    I know well-maintained, they will go 500,000 relatively easily, that is my goal. I have the mechanical knowledge , just the hybrid part is little tricky and new

9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can't you just send AAA out there to retrieve your car and drop it off in your driveway? Then you don't have to worry about it and you can even get it up and running tonight.

10. #1 Toyota salesman

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    AAA? Isn't it bad enough I drive a Prius? LOL
    I wish I had AAA right about now

But I'm guessing it has to be that fuse, or similar. there is some sort of failsafe, that went out. It was all just too sudden, and I really think the inverter took a dump on me. Like I said, it smells bad . I'm sure those of you who have experience with electrical know exactly what I'm talking about.

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get a scan tool so you can read the codes. Takes a lot of the guess work and unnecessary parts swapping out of the equation.

If you already have an old laptop with Win7 on it, you can get VxDiag Nano for Toyota (better but more expensive, bit still good value) or a Mini VCI (cheap and can take a few goes to get a good one) are two good options.

If you want to go phone/app combo (borrowed from EricBecky (thanks Eric ;)), for ~$75:
    • Android phone/tablet
    • Elm 327 Bluetooth OBDII adaptor
    • Torque Pro app
    If you want to have a hand-held and spend a bit more, Autel have models that work on Prius, but make sure it is one that can be uploaded with Toyota extensions to accommodate all ECUs and not just a basic model that only reads engine, brake (and maybe SRS) ECUs. You need the ability to read live data and dig into freeze frame data also to be truly useful.

#11 dolj, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  12. #1 Toyota salesman

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been looking for an old laptop, was going to get techstream, and monitor things
    But that helps me not one bit right now, since there is no power...
    Any other suggestions, as to why the HV part of things shut down? Or any other things to troubleshoot

13. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Time for some clarification about no power.
    Does the dome light come on?

14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OBDII port only requires 12 V. So you're saying the car is totally dead? No 12 V anywhere. Seems to contradict your opening post, so forgive me if I didn't pick up on that.

15. #1 Toyota salesman

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    12V works fine.done lights etc...aks, hazards

The only way I have ever been able to get 12v per to the OBD2 port is with the POWER ON (ready etc)

16. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As mentioned above, bring multimeter and check AM2 and the associated fuse.

17. #1 Toyota salesman

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've never seen a car where the OBD power isn't switched power (key on)
    I'm an ICE car this means turning the key to accessory
    the few times I have had the prius scanned. I had to have the car basically "running" (READY)

18. #1 Toyota salesman

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Eric,
    As mentioned above, that's the plan in the a.m.lol
    the multimeter is already in the car,
    Like I said, I'm going by junkyard in the morning, where they have a Prius. I'm going to grab every fuse and relay I can, of fthat thing and just checking I guess when I get there. Any other suggestions if it is not that fuse?

I REALLY apprecall the input

19. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius OBDII port is constantly powered and also has a switched power. Some adapters use the switched power some use the always on power. On of my cheap Bluetooth dingles uses the constant power and blinks an led. It's actually a fairly significant drain if left plugged in for a couple weeks.

And with 12v power you can get the car into acc mode. On but not ready. If it doesn't do that, you've got bigger problems.

20. #1 Toyota salesman

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    NOTHING happens when I push the power/start button.
    Door open, security, hazards, on cluster light up
    key "slot" is lighted, all dome/courtesy lights work, SKS/power locks work

Just driving down the highway, suddenly, the typical, "oh man, this can't be good" array of warning lights on the display, and then BAM! NOTHING! Dashboard and MFD went black no power, I managed to after/coast to the side of the road.