1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Everything you thought you knew about sharks is wrong!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Jan 13, 2009.

1. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    While scuba diving in the Maledives, I have been surrounded several times by sharks. Not the really huge fellows, but still large enough to really impress.

The sharks over there have never attacked a diver, apparently for two reasons:

1. There is really plenty of fish, so they are never hungry enough to attack something that looks unfamiliar.

2. The have never been fed by divers. Apparently, sharks can quickly make the link diver -> food, and become aggressive if that is not the case.

2. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Funny I know of two fatalities off the Gulf Coast of Fl and 1 major mauling in the last few years.

3. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What is funny? Did you even look at the link I provided? It shows 4 fatalities and 397 attacks. Florida leads the world in shark attacks.

I still doesn't change the fact that the chance of being attacked by a shark is statistically tiny.

Drowning and other beach-related fatalities --- 1 in 2 million
    Drowning fatalities ------------------------------- 1 in 3.5 million
    Shark attacks ------------------------------------- 1 in 11.5 million
    Shark attack fatalites ---------------------------- 1 in 264.1 million

4. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I do not consider sharks a major threat. I have been diving for a living since the late 60's so have tons of experience with them along with many people I know in the business I'm in. As a group the encounters have been from Whites on down the list. I have had friends die from the bends, drowning, and misc accidents while diving but never a shark attack. That being said there have been shark attacks in the areas I dive. One was a guy snorkeling with dolphins (just like Daniel) on a tour (survived), one was a kid with a boogie board in a few feet of water next to the shoreline (he bled to death) near my house. I still take my daughter and her friends to the same spot to swim with the dolphins. Maui has seen a few attacks also.

The coke machine statistic is a bit misleading. If you take the same amount of stupid people shaking a 400lb top heavy machine to the point of tipping over and exposed them doing equivalent stupid behavior with sharks the sharks might have more of a chance to catch up a bit.

While true, the amount of people going in the water vs shark attacks makes the odds of getting bitten by a shark small there was probably little exposure to sharks anyway. The millions of people that visit Waikiki waters every year are rarely exposed to any sharks at all.

If you are eaten by a shark your odds just went to 100%. At least you will know you died in a pretty unique way.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am gratified to see that so many (nearly all!) the posters to this thread are indeed aware that sharks are not the vicious killers portrayed in popular culture, and that they are worthy of saving as a class of species.

Thank you.

6. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And the Prius is a high performance luxury car that doesn't have a ticky tacky interior.

7. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I, too, am well aware of the senseless slaughter of sharks, and like the wolf analogy, when you remove the top of the food chain the littler critters abound exponentially leading to yet more unintended consequences.

However, I also know first hand the fear and havoc the great whites create when they troll at popular swimming beaches. I both live and vacation within what is called the red triangle here on the left coast and out to Hawaii. I've been on the beach when surfers hauled out a fellow surfer who was bitten. Word to the wise, keep that wet suit on after an 'event' as it hinders blood flow. I've been on Maui and swimming the same place the day before a person was taken and the event witnessed a couple of years ago. Here in CA I've seen fins trolling just offshore (don't know enough to state what type of shark). I was once bumped by something massive while swimming well offshore of CA, and let me tell you it's a hard choice to panic and swim manically to shore after such an event, or choose to calmly sidestroke to shore so as not to create excitement. That time I did not see a fin and the bump could have been an elephant seal or sea lion, all I know is I keep closer to shore now.

Since I don't use soft drink machines and do regularly swim in the ocean I guess my odds are with the beasts, tho I can think of much worse ways to die than becoming a shark's meal.

The TV documentaries showing 'finning' and pushing the remains of the magnificent creatures back to die a slow death far more appeals to my sensibilities of right and wrong than the fear of ocean swimming. The healing qualities of warm ocean water far outweighs the fear of becoming lunch.

While most of my shark 'experience' is with great whites, I think I'd fear bull sharks more as they can and do travel up rivers where one would think pollution would be a greater concern than ocean going beasties.

8. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    " both live and vacation within what is called the red triangle here on the left coast and out to Hawaii. I've been on the beach when surfers hauled out a fellow surfer who was bitten"

What!!!??? Are you implying that sharks are dangerous?

9. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I take it your idea of long-term financial planning is buying lottery tickets, because the odds of you getting the big prize in that is MUCH better than your odds of being attacked by a shark. Yes, people get attacked, nobody is saying they never do. However, people also win the Lotto, too, but I'm not going to run out and spend my life savings on tickets.

10. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not just any lottery tickets. Powerball.

I'm still not going swimming here at night

11. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Listening to all this warm and fuzzy huggie crap about sharks...

First off... it IS true the shark populations are being decimated by asian fishing... and they are not taking the whole fish, they are discarding the majority of the meat.

It is a sad fact that they are being overfished because there is no regulations regarding them in most waters.

Now that that has been said...

ANYONE that says sharks are not maneaters is sadly mistaken, woefully incorrect, and utterly a PC moricon.

How about a little education before you say that...

Google the USS Indianapolis
    USS Indianapolis (CA-35) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Re: Listening to all this warm and fuzzy huggie crap about sharks...

Those sharks were misunderstood. They were actually trying to carry the sailors to shore but with the sharp teeth it just didn't work out.

13. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I think the Bull Shark in this case just wanted to play with swimmers:

Jersey Shore shark attacks of 1916 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually, I totally don't disagree with Daniel... most sharks are pretty harmless. However, if someone feels that all sharks are harmless and misunderstood, I invite that person to go swimming with bull sharks for a quick attitude readjustment.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I remain gratified that most of the posters in this thread understand that the likelihood of a swimmer being attacked by a shark is minuscule, compared with the other risks he or she takes: Assuming the swimmer does not live on the beach, he/she is far more likely to be killed in an auto accident on the way to the beach, far more likely to drown than to be attacked by a shark, even more likely to be struck by lightning than to be killed by a shark.

It's understandable, though, that a few still advocate fear as the primary response to the existence of sharks. Those big teeth are sharp and scary. And the few shark attacks that do happen get widespread and extensive media coverage. The far greater risks that we accept every day receive little or no concern, because deaths from them are so common that the media ignore them. It's understandable, but contrary to all logic, that the least common ways to die receive the most media coverage, and therefore generate the most fear, while the greatest dangers are accepted precisely because they are the most common.

Millions and millions of people go swimming every day, and yet on average there is one death from shark attack every two years. And when the water conditions allow good visibility, sharks will swim right by humans, and if they take any notice at all, it's to swim away.

15. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Seriously. Keep trying

16. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Yep, a Bull Shark killed a guy in a canal in Tampa a few years ago. Right behind his house.

Alligators are friendly too. The one that dragged an old woman in Sarasota out of her garden and into a pond was just overly friendly

17. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Who's advocating fear? I advocate a healthy respect for any animal which can kill you with minimal effort.

18. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I knew someone was going to bring this up. The USS Indianapolis is not your typical swim. We know that sharks follow large ships and eat the garbage that is discharged into the sea. With the Indianapolis you had large numbers of injured and dead sailors in the water. Lots of blood, other bodily fluids and decomposing corpses to attract sharks. Even then if you would have read the your source material:

"About 300 of the 1,196 men on board died in the attack. The rest of the crew, 880 men, floated in the water without lifeboats until the rescue was completed four days later. Three hundred and twenty-one crew came out of the water alive, with 317 ultimately surviving. They suffered from lack of food and water, exposure to the elements, severe desquamation, and shark attacks. The Discovery Channel has stated that the Indianapolis sinking resulted in the most shark attacks on humans in history, and attributes the attacks to the oceanic whitetip shark species. The same show attributed most of the deaths on the Indianapolis to exposure, salt poisoning and thirst, with the dead being dragged off by sharks."

19. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't it ironic that the Indy had just delivered the "Fat Man" and "Little Boy" weapons to Tinian Island on July 26. She is then sunk 3 days later on the 29th. No one knew she was missing for 4 days. Hiroshima and Nagasaki disappear a week and a half later on August 6th and 9th.

Talk about KARMA!

Imagine if the Indy was torpedoed BEFORE she offloaded the weapons!!!

What might the world be like today?????

73 de Pat KK6PD

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Statistically, driving to work is one of the most dangerous things we do. Somehow, the risks are laughed off, yet people are far more afraid of lions and tigers and bears. And wolves and sharks. Go figure.

I talked with a taxi driver in Detroit (talk about a hazardous job!) on Tuesday, and he said he'd be afraid of hiking in the forest because of the bears. But he feels safe in inner city Detroit?!