1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EVmatch

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by markabele, May 12, 2017.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    EVMatch - Electric vehicle charging network with reservations

basically it's Airbnb for EV charging at people's homes. Love the idea! They are just piloting in the LA area. Really need them to expand to the Midwest. (not affiliated with the company, just love the idea)

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    According to the article -
    From personal experience - the question of "where?" to charge (L2) primarily arrises because of piss poor enforcement. Spots get ICE'd & even though some stalls may be marked as towaway, it just never (or virtually never) happens. Similarly when PHEV's camp for hours & hours after completion, not only do subsequent EV users end up in dire straights, the EVSE owner doesn't get any more customers - unless the evse is set up to continue running up fees to the customer. DC quick Chargers have their own set of challenges too.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Plug share is great but it doesn't show you if there are station(s) there that are occupied - or that are or iced. Even Tesla stations tend to get iced - even though they tend to he out in the south 40 - farther away than ideal parking.

5. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    For some odd reason I'm much much more likely to use someone's home charging station if I'm paying for it. I'm pretty confident I will never use someone's home charger on PlugShare.

Maybe PlugShare will allow people to start "charging" for charging now that there is some competition on the distant horizon.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I used to offer up our EVSE on plugshare. 9 out of 10 times it was a deatbeat phev that could get to where they are going on their ice ... but wanted to get it for free. The thought of an EVpulling up having to wait was kind of bothersome.

#6 hill, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hey now.

hill likes this.
  8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Alabama forbids anyone other than the utility company selling electricity. You can have a parking meter but not a coin operated, watt meter.

Well I need to put some miles on the Prius Prime the has 4,500 miles and I've scheduled a 5k visit to a local Toyota service center Tuesday afternoon. Huntsville-to-Nashville ~120 miles, should easily add 300 miles including playing around Nashville.

Bob Wilson

9. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think a lot of states are like that. Charging for time parked is an easy way around it.

And hill, that's exactly why I don't use PlugShare's home chargers. I never ever want to feel or be seen as a deadbeat. Hoping this new idea has some legs. If it takes off it could really solve a lot of EV charging issues. (definitely not all issues, but some)