1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EVO Mode works up to 9 mph

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by TempusFugit, May 23, 2009.

1. sluday

sluday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the evo mode really useful for? Say if your Prius ran out of gas, would you be able to use evo mode to get to a station ? Can someone please give me some real world uses for EVO mode.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's when you need to race a 2.0 litre turbocharged 300hp Mitsubishi :D

Plenty of uses (I know I've listed them all out somewhere.. not comprehensive mind you but all the possibilities that I could think of back then). Lemme see if I remember

• Moving around underground parking or areas with poor ventilation
    • moving the car a short distance e.g. changing parking spots or moving in/out of the garage
    • on a stretch of road you know it'll normally shut off the engine and you want to shut the engine off because it's still running
    • the last trip of the day back home downhill and the engine's still running. (last trip b/c that means you don't need a warm engine)
    • Moving around at the top of the mountain because you'll be recharging them back when you head down
    • delay the start of the engine because you know you have to wait to turn right onto a main street so you EV from the parking spot to the exit
    That's all I can think of right now

Well if that's the case, then it's working normally and nothing new has been programmed.

The reason why it cuts off if you accelerate faster because it doesn't know if you were accelerating to get out of a dangerous situation or not so it's programmed to cut it off when a certain pedal angle is achieved.

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use EV to quietly move out of my garage onto the road at 6AM. My garage is about 3 metres from my neighbours bedroom.
    I use EV to drive from my parking space to the gate at work when I have to lock the gate.
    I use EV in slow moving traffic, although the car will most likely do this anyway.
    I use EV to impress my friends or spook them out.
    I use EV when I leave a petrol station after I fill up, not often.
    I use EV in multi story carparks to prevent the engine starting when gravity is doing all the work.
    I use EV sometimes to get home from the main road (about half a kilometre) without the ICE running. Sometimes I don't use EV and still get home without the ICE coming on, even though it is up hill.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use EV mode for only 2 things any more.
    1) backing the car out of and then back into the garage to wash it.

2) To save gas--but here's how. During warm-up (after S1, but before engine temp has reached 157F) as I slow to a stop light I hit the button to shut the ICE off. I immediately hit the button to turn EV off when the light turns green so I can accelerate and continue warm-up. Thus, I may only do this a few times a week when I really want to save every little drop of fuel. But notice, this is NEVER to acclerate, only when decelerating and before I can get into S4 where it automatically shuts the ICE off when I'm not accelerating (below 42mph).

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The guys have already answered the "what's it for?" part. I'll take a stab at the "use it to get to the station" part.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!
    No Prius should ever be driven without gasoline in the tank. The Prius is a hybrid, not an electric vehicle. Please do yourself a favor and don't test it.

6. jstmike

jstmike New Member

Model:
    IV
    I was dissapointed too with the EV Mode. In the morning I pressed the EV button pulled out of the garage and the ICE comes on to warm up. Oh well. ICE warms up and I press EV again go 10mph and get the warning and EV turns off but I noticed the ICE is still off.

I did a test yesterday around the neighborhood and drove 2.2 miles in pure electric. The CONS. displayed 99.9 MPG. Oh what fun!!!

Here's what I do: Keep the car in ECO Mode. Then put the display on the HYBRID SYSTEM INDICATOR screen where it has the ECO Meter. Now the engine will only come on after the meter goes past the halfway mark or if the battery is low. So if you keep that meter below there you will be in all electric. Sure you might need to start off slow but you can build your speed to about 30mph.

In fact you can maximize the electric time on the freeway even. Say you're moving along at 55mph just take your foot off the gas and the engine will cut off. I can't really hear any difference but you can look at the MPG indicator on that same screen and see you're at 100. Now just press the gas down and just be sure the meter doesn't go past half and you're in electric still with the MPG indicator still at 100. This method really works the best on 25mph-40mph roads though. It's great getting 74MPG making my way to downtown.

I've put on about 260 miles so far and the gas meter just went down a notch. It still says I have 420 miles on the tank. My last car was a Nissan versa with got about 28MPG and I would just about be filling it up.

7. TempusFugit

TempusFugit Prius 06, IV 10 & four 11

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hope the Test Drive articles don't focus too much on EV mode. Sure wouldn't make the car's "electric only" mode shine very bright

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok, i actually got it into EV mode and up to as much as 22 mph, but this was at the end of a drive. went to store, pull around to garage in back to unload since most of it (we went to Costco) gets stored on shelves in garage and broken down later to bring into house. well after unloading, i pull around to front to park and hit EV mode just to see what i could do with it and worked ok.

so, maybe the car cannot be started cold and pushed very much in EV mode.

9. swich2mac

swich2mac Go Hard or Go Home!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What does "ICE" stand for?

10. Lafferty

Lafferty Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Internal combustion engine.

11. krouebi

krouebi 2012 Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I remember reading in a German Prius forum of a guy who actually made it (under a kilometer, though) in EV mode (with a European-spec 2nd Gen, which has always had an EV button) after deliberately running the tank dry - to see what the REAL fuel capacity is.

IIRC nothing special happened, except that he was able to put far more than the "official" 45 litres in :cheer2:. I guess that if you drive mainly in "known territory" and wish to know what the actual maximum range between fillups can be stretched to, it could be interesting to try out.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to rain on your parade but staying left of the middle of the HSI does NOT guarantee that the engine stays off. That particular area means that it's the most fuel efficient range and the engine may come on. To the right of the centre line, as you've stated, the engine will be on.

Which leads me to the highway bit. The engine isn't off because it shows 100mpg. It shows 100mpg because that's the most that you can display. If you're running with L/100km, you'll see that it's not 0.0L/100km (which is what it'll show if the engine is off). It'll be showing 1.xL/100km (which is oevr 200mpg and that's more than what your mpg meter is capable of showing)

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    other monitoring systems will show higher mileages. i see 10 to 180 mpg frequently on the freeway while going down a slight hill.

either way, even with limited experience on the 2010, the mileage claims are definitely valid. looks like i will be averaging pretty close to 60 mpg simply be driving conservatively. took a trip today, averaged 59 mpg and doubt i would have done much over 54 on the SPM

14. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    this is off topic, and I don't want to create a thread for it. But has anyone taken the new prius up to top speed? Im curious if they increased the top end speed, not that speeding or driving fast is a wise thing to do. The NHW20 can hit 108mph, stock tires rated up to 112.

15. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I hope Erica or Doug jump in on this, but my understanding and what I remember from my experience with the prototype vehicles is that if EV kicks off due to acceleration it will tell you with a "EV Shut Off Due to Excessive Acceleration" message. If SOC was too low or the engine wasn't warmed up, then it would say "EV Mode Not Available".

Otherwise it shouldn't kick you out until you hit 25 MPH.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's 116 according to the Chief but you might wanna double check with Danny.

17. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Either way... top speed "should only be tested where legal and safe" (i.e. Montana or a race track). ;)

18. REDWIND88

REDWIND88 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I do think in my case its the battery that need full charging to work-only negative so far

19. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've been able to put the car into EV about three times so far. Each time I did it while already in motion, and already in what I am assuming is Stage 4 (and with the ICE off). I didn't take the car above 23mph, but everything worked just fine. I've used it only in my neighborhood, travelling the final three or four blocks home.

I have had it reject the EV attempt three other times, each time there was a message advising me the battery was too low.

20. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Two questions for a very lucky '10 owner:

1. The transition between ICE off & on (and On & Off...) From a NVH standpoint - is it better or same as G2? ie shudder. Especially when taking off normally from a stop and the ICE kicks in. Quite noticeable in the Insight during my test drive.

2. When I would drive around the neighborhood or parking lots in EV mode, my thumbs would not be far from the horn. Is the '10 a dual horn setup or a Roadrunner beep beep?