1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Evolution of Math Teaching

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, May 10, 2006.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A sad commentary on our educational system. A teacher once told me it takes 10 years for an educational theory to be proven right or wrong. By then your child is on to college and doesn't know how to make change let alone balance a checkbook. I learned how to write checks in the 6th grade !!!

Last week I purchased a burger and fries at McDonalds for $3.58. The counter girl took my $4.00 and I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies. While looking at the screen on her register, I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.

Why do I tell you this?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s.

Teaching Math In 1950

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His
    cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his
    profit?

Teaching Math In 1960

cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What
    is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1970

cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

Teaching Math In 1980

cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20 You
    assignment: Underline the number 20.

Teaching Math In 1990
    A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is
    selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the
    habitat of animals or the preservation of our
    woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of
    $20. What do you think of this way of making a living?
    Topic for class participation after answering the
    question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the
    logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong
    answers.)

Teaching Math In 2006
    Un ranchero vende una carretera de madera para $100.
    El cuesto de la produccion era $80. Cuantos tortillas
    se puede comprar?

1 person likes this.
  2. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

Heh, blame the education system all you want, kids that want to learn can get a first class education anywhere. Parents need to start instilling that desire to learn, as well as something resembling respect for authority and the rights of others. Our education system (inside and outside of school) is our own fault, and the only way to fix it is to work on the next generation of good men and women.

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ May 10 2006, 05:29 PM) [snapback]253193[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: Now there's a evolution I can believe in? Sad Sad Sad. . . :(

4. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 10 2006, 05:43 PM) [snapback]253204[/snapback]</div>
    Not only sad, but completely untrue! I'm sure Priusguy04 was joking, but I'd like to see any approved K-12 math textbook with a story problem nearly that inflammatory.

If you're going to get mad at something, get mad at something real.

Oh, and when I was in Jr. High and High School (1980's), taking at least one year of a foreign language was required, and we did do some story problems in the foreign language. (I took Spanish and German. Did not become fluent, now can't understand much of either.)

- Bob R.

PS... Don't take German from a Swiss immigrant who also teaches French. My German relatives all told me they couldn't understand the dialect, so I completely lost an incentive to learn. :-(

5. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is a sad state of affairs, I agree, when someone can't figure out the amount of change to be given. I remember going through exercises in tenth grade for some kinda business class that made us figure out differing amounts of change for different transactions...and how to do it with the least amount of coins possible. The thing that struck me (and I remember this almost 21 years later) was the number of people who struggled with this exercise in class while I (and a few others) flew through it.

There are always people who are quicker or slower at counting, and the ones who can't figure it out amaze me, just as when people don't use commas correctly (ahem), Priusguy04.

Let's not blame the system. Computers and calculators are allowed in classrooms today...no more slide rules for you! The use of technology as a crutch is easily identified as the problem, as that poor girl demonstrated.

Hell, we don't even have to know how to write checks any more. Debit cards and self-printing check-outs are the modus operandi today.

The world changes, and not always for the better.

6. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ May 10 2006, 08:29 PM) [snapback]253193[/snapback]</div>

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PRICELESS!!!

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1. people at mcdonalds are there for a reason and it's not because they were particularly successful in school...

2. so apparently teaching of spelling has drastically improved since you were in school, eh priusguy?

8. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 11 2006, 09:38 AM) [snapback]253414[/snapback]</div>

Ouch galaxee! I want to teach someday! You have to have had at least one teacher that was positively brilliant and taught just because he/she wanted to pass that fire along... I was lucky - I had probably a dozen teachers from kindergarten to high school that were STUNNING and made me feel like I was the reason they came in that day.

9. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geologyrox @ May 11 2006, 10:03 AM) [snapback]253420[/snapback]</div>
    oh crap... :mellow: i meant the girl working at mcdonalds... should have been more clear on that... sorry

10. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 11 2006, 10:12 AM) [snapback]253427[/snapback]</div>
    LOL - no, that was obviously me thinking of ll the sub-par teachers I've had alongside my golden dozen =)

PS - I worked at Burger king all through high school, and a couple summers in college =) The store manager was the mayor of my small town, uncle of my best friend from elementary school, and I was good enough (lol, what an accomplishment!) to get to pick my schedule, and I for some ungodly reason liked it.

I have to say, my strong feelings about certain parts of education came from that job - I trained a lot of young dumb kids, and it being a small town, I knew their teachers, I'd had their teachers. We all went to the same schools, we all lived in the same subdivision. Parenting (or in some cases, any individual attention) was the largest variable. You can try giving more or taking away or better qualified teachers or standardized testing requirements, but you either need better parenting or some darn good substitute. whoops! ::endrant:: =P

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geologyrox @ May 11 2006, 07:03 AM) [snapback]253420[/snapback]</div>
    That's probably cause you're cute and brilliant. ;)

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geologyrox @ May 11 2006, 11:14 AM) [snapback]253467[/snapback]</div>
    it is largely a factor of individual development, which is dependent on parental influence, i wholeheartedly agree. i think individual motivation also plays a role here, as well as natural variance in ability- some of us are visual learners, some experience learners, etc. there's no way a teacher can cater to all that, and that's where the parent should step in and help with homework on terms the child can understand if they're struggling.

(i must still be in academic writing mode... i really don't talk so formally in casual conversation :blink:)

a little dose of tough love never hurt either, but that seems to be against american moral principle nowadays...

i worked at mcd's for 3 weeks or so... i quit because they treated everyone like children and i was surrounded by high school dropouts. i didn't want to deal with that kind of crap. :lol:

13. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I used to go thru the drive throughs and ask the gril if they took OUT of STATE money.... They would look at me like a deer in headlights then say hold on I'll ask the manager, then they'd come back p*ssed off because they looked stupid.. LMAO! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The best one was when I asked if the took laundered money that one even stumped the Mgr.. :lol: :lol:

14. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The bill: $16.09.

I hand over a $20 bill, a $1 bill, and a dime.

She hands back the $1.10 and says, “the $20 is enough and I can make better change with just the twenty.â€

She then hands me back a TEN, four ONES, and ninety-one cents.

She was so right - it did make for better change. :lol:

If store managers and owners are not willing to pay a high enough wage to get someone qualified to do the job . . . the least they can do is pay us customers for having to deal with that quality of employee. :blink:

15. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ May 11 2006, 12:54 PM) [snapback]253557[/snapback]</div>

hee! I was the person they'd come to and ask when someone would do something like that! You people made my Friday nights =P

And I was hardly a cute kid, they don't make them annoying like I was very often. I think it just turned out that the easiest way to shut me up was to give me a book on the subject, and it worked out pretty well for me =)

16. GuamKelly

GuamKelly Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As a teacher, I have a couple requests/bits of advice for prospective parents;

1) Turn off the TV frequently, put your kids on your lap, and READ to them, pointing out letters and words as you go. There is NO age too early to start.

2) Have a variety of age appropriate reading materials easily accessible at all times.

3) Insist that they, too, turn the TV off frequently.

I can always tell on Day One which kids came from reading families, and I can teach them ANYTHING.

4 people like this.
  17. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    HOLY THREAD RESURECTION...

But YES, if you don't put in the time to teach em from home first, there is a far greater probability of failure when they come of age to have to depend on themselves to get by... even things as simple as addition.