1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

evolution vs creation vs Intelligent Design

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Apr 6, 2006.

1. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geologyrox @ May 23 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]259844[/snapback]</div>
    I recall that Sanford was mentioned in Time magazine as one of the worst governors in the country. I know that SC has a pretty bad economy, so I suspect that's true.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ May 23 2006, 08:41 AM) [snapback]259709[/snapback]</div>
    See, one of the problems about talking to you folks is that you are so mired in the fantasy that there must be a god, and that humans are somehow the "highest" thing in the universe, that when an atheist says there's no god, you accuse him of thinking that he is god! From what empty place in your feverish brain did you dredge up the notion that I think that "we are our own gods"????????????? When have I ever said anything that would suggest that I think such a thing? When are you going to stop putting words into my mouth???

And what the bleep do you mean by your phrase "To think we are our own Gods and we were created our our own conciousness..." Are you speaking in tongues now? The underlined phrase has no grammatical meaning. It just doesn't say anything.

Are you such a pathetic typist that you meant to type "and we created our own consciousness" and then were too lazy or in too much of a hurry to proofread it?

If so you are once again claiming that I believe things I've never said.

Creationist: "God made us."

Atheist: "There is no god. We evolved by natural processes."

Creationist: "Oh, so you think you created yourself?"

Atheist: "No I don't. I said we evolved by natural processes. Are you deaf?"

Creationist (aside to other creationists): "They think they created themselves.

I'm not sure whether you are a scoundrel, to continuously put words in my mouth that I've never spoken, and to continuously attribute beliefs to me which I have repudiated, or whether you are merely too brain damaged to be able to understand what my position is so that you could address your arguments to my actual position rather than to one you've invented for me.

3. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ May 23 2006, 12:41 PM) [snapback]259867[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly. Christianity has nothing to gain, and everything to lose, by purporting to out-science science.

4. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What is "natural"?

Without a norm you cannot define boundaries of "natural".

It takes a protocol of defined order to have "natural".. in your world anything is natural.
    If I have a son with two heads... its natural.......
    Someone "God" has to set the boundaries of what is natural without our limits to access, verses "supernatural" where limits exceed normal boudaries.

I'm amused that you don't like my typing...... life itself is a book to read and interpret.... seems you read into it what you want anyway.

You respect no rules or government, because that would mean you would need to submit to an authority greater than yourself......
    Thats what I mean when I say you set yourself up as a God, because you won't admit there really is a God.

That would be too hard to be accountable for your actions... its easier and makes you feel more secure to stick your head in the sand and play like he doesnt' exist.

Am I wrong?.. we'll see.

It appears you don't know yourself as well as you think..... but that makes sense too.....
    Because if you did, you would change.

5. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 23 2006, 06:57 AM) [snapback]259666[/snapback]</div>
    Those Muslims are WRONG I happen to know that it's 72 on the button. Whoever says there are only 20 shall burp in hell forever! :lol:

Wildkow

p.s. Come on daniel why are your facts always wrong? Geeeez eternity with only 20 virgins? Get real!

6. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 23 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]260167[/snapback]</div>

What gets me.... how long do you think they would be virgins anyway?

What do they say they do with those virgins... put them on a shelf and watch them?

Once they have sex with them.. they aren't virgins anymore?...

What a pain........ 72 or even 20 virgins.... way too much estrogen for me! :lol:

7. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 24 2006, 12:43 AM) [snapback]260167[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ May 24 2006, 01:06 AM) [snapback]260181[/snapback]</div>
    I'm glad to see that you guys are capable of laughing at religion...well, as long as it isn't your own religion.

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ May 23 2006, 10:06 PM) [snapback]260181[/snapback]</div>
    Come on, Windstrings. You ought to be able to figure that one out: In heaven all things are possible by the grace of Allah. It's a miracle.

(Or maybe nobody cares if they stay virgin, so long as they are virgin when you get them. I'm not at all clear on Muslim theology.)

Of course, I don't believe it. But Muslims are willing to die for it, and you were the one who used the argument that if people are willing to die for a belief then it must be true.

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 24 2006, 03:57 AM) [snapback]260245[/snapback]</div>

Your right... there's nothing wrong in mocking false Gods......

Your ought to go read this famous "show down" story...

(1 Ki 18:25 NRSV) Then Elijah said to the prophets of Baal, "Choose for yourselves one bull and prepare it first, for you are many; then call on the name of your god, but put no fire to it."
    (1 Ki 18:26 NRSV) So they took the bull that was given them, prepared it, and called on the name of Baal from morning until noon, crying, "O Baal, answer us!" But there was no voice, and no answer. They limped about the altar that they had made.
    (1 Ki 18:27 NRSV) At noon Elijah mocked them, saying, "Cry aloud! Surely he is a god; either he is meditating, or he has wandered away, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is asleep and must be awakened."
    (1 Ki 18:28 NRSV) Then they cried aloud and, as was their custom, they cut themselves with swords and lances until the blood gushed out over them.
    (1 Ki 18:29 NRSV) As midday passed, they raved on until the time of the offering of the oblation, but there was no voice, no answer, and no response.

10. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ May 24 2006, 11:58 AM) [snapback]260352[/snapback]</div>
    I'll keep that in mind.

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 24 2006, 10:53 AM) [snapback]260426[/snapback]</div>

:lol: :lol: :lol: .... I'm glad to see your playing it safe...

12. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ May 23 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]260167[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, the "72 virgins" is a mistranslation of one of their ancient texts.

When the 9/11 hijackers got to the afterlife, they were each greeted individually by a very somber looking guy. "Come this way for the first of your 72," he said, and they all followed with great expectation. The somber man opened the door, and the terrorist was met by a young George Washington, who proceeded to beat the bejesus out of him. Finally, the door opened and the somber man said "Follow me to the second of your 72."

When the terrorist got to the second room, he looked in and saw a very upset looking Thomas Jefferson. The terrorist said "Hey, wait a minute, where are my virgins?" and the somber man replied, "not VIRGINS, VIRGINIANS!"

13. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ May 24 2006, 09:59 PM) [snapback]260763[/snapback]</div>
    LOL :lol: Wish I was from Virginian. ;)

Saw this today had to laugh cause I'm orginally from Bozeman . . .

Three strangers strike up a conversation in the airport passenger
    lounge in Bozeman, Montana, awaiting their flights.

One is an American Indian passing through from Lame Deer. Another is a
    Cowboy on his way to Billings for a livestock show and the third
    passenger is a fundamentalist Arab student, newly arrived at Montana
    State University from the Middle East.

Their discussion drifts to their diverse cultures. Soon, the two
    Westerners learn that the Arab is a devout, radical Muslim and the
    conversation falls into an uneasy lull.

The cowboy leans back in his chair, crosses his boots on a magazine
    table and tips his big sweat-stained hat forward over his face The wind
    outside is blowing tumbleweeds around, and the old windsock is
    flapping; but still no plane comes.

Finally, the American Indian clears his throat and softly he speaks, At
    one time here, my people were many, but sadly, now we are few."

The Muslim student raises an eyebrow and leans forward, "Once my people
    were few," he sneers, "and now we are many. Why do you suppose that is?"

The Montana cowboy shifts his toothpick to one side of his mouth and
    from the darkness beneath his Stetson says in a drawl,

"That's 'cause we ain't played Cowboys and Muslims yet but it's a coming.

14. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ May 25 2006, 12:40 AM) [snapback]260756[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not- my definition of false gods is more all-encompassing than yours.