1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EV's a Long Way Off?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by EZW1, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My main concern is that we stop BURNING crude oil soon enough so that future generations will still have crude oil to make plastics and chemicals to maintain the high-tech lives that we enjoy today. (plastics and chemicals make possible water sanitation, food sanitation, the medical industry, pharmaceuticals, food packaging ... in addition to just about everything else that exists in our modern society). When our grand children go to manufacture more solar panels, where do you think all of that silicone is going to come from?
    Yeah, I'm sure we can make a lot of different chemicals from bioethanol, but it will be VERY energy consuming, and not all chemicals will be able to be produced from an ethanol feed stock.

Funny that you mention that. I just read an article on Yahoo News, titled "Now would be a good time to sell that SUV that you couldn't sell two months ago." They point out to readers that with OPEC talking about cuts, and China and India's demand for oil once the global economy rebounds, oil will back up at $100/barrel inevitably.

2. PeakOilGarage

PeakOilGarage Nothing less than 99.9

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I approach this from an entirely different angle.

1) We are in an era called Peak Oil.
    2) That means gasoline supplies will not always be available as easily as we are accustomed to.
    3) That means the smart people will make other arrangements now before the panic starts.
    4) form, fit and function be damned. I want to be able to get from point A to point B.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    < $2 gas is about as permanent as the sand dunes in Saudi Arabia, so that point is moot. All low prices do is slow things down for the change over to alternatives. The bad thing is that or society as a whole are so complacent, that we loose steam unless we're at a crisis. Take a look at the folks during that tidal wave in micronesia (or where ever it was) ... after the first wave hit, there were still folks standing around to watch.

4. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You think the writer is right because of made-up assumptions? Tesla is now building almost 10 units per WEEK, as others have pointed out. And they have other revenue streams from their battery packs.

Mostly because they stopped taking orders. In fact they never intended to go over 800 at first. And then 1000. And now there are over 1200, I believe.

Yes we do. We don't know what it is on a daily basis, but we care. We care because low gas prices keep everybody else in their gas cars which doesn't do any of us any good.

When I bought my current EV for $42,000 six years ago, gas was selling for $1.60. I wasn't hard-pressed to buy it.

Indeed, I predict that they'll come in 1996. Hey look at that! I'm still driving an EV as our main vehicle that was designed for the 1996 model year.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona