1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured EV's on the market, where are the ads?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Ashlem, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Electric cars are on the market, so where are all the ads?

Thoughts on this? Those of you living in California or CARB states may see more of them, but in the rest of the nation, there are hardly any commercials for plug-ins.

Hopefully this changes in the near future as more plug-ins show up on the roads, along with charging infrastructure in more places such as workplace and apartment parking lots.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can only guess that they figure the demographic doesn't watch tv with advertising, and you tube stuff is more effective.

otoh, if you're losing money with every sale, you don't want to sell more than the carb credits you need.

3. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    It doesn't matter. Most people who look to buy bleeding edge cars like plug-ins and EV's are the kind who research their cars and knows their needs thoroughly.

It's the mindless buyer who end up disappointed on efficiency or range that ends up complaining and giving these cars a bad name. Unfortunately, hybrids have become common enough there are a lot of mindless hybrid drivers out there.

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    What EV or plug-in is in such surplus that ads would increase profits? They are either production constrained, or perhaps the makers don't really make money and don't want to kill their ICE sales by touting the advantages of alternative propulsion cars. If you were GM or Toyota or even BMW, what are the cash cows in your lineup and where are the loyalties of the executives who grew up in those product lines.

Trollbait likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In Huntsville, AL, I'm seeing ads touting 'price' including the Prius but nothing on the efficiency we care about. So I chatted with our house keeper we 'sold' the 03 Prius and it turns out she is most impressed by how far the car goes after 'blink'. She has noticed that fuel savings.

Bob Wilson

6. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    bombarded with fiat 500e and leaf ads.

I suppose the self-driving Chevy Bolts creeping around San Francisco could be considered an ad.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How many ads were there for the Prius in the early days?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't remember yesterday.

hill and RCO like this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota lists their Hybrids in a separate category from cars & SUVs/trucks.
    As long as automaker marketers consider EVs and Hybrid as something other than a normal vehicle, we will not see them as being marketed to the average vehicle buyer.

I have heard of a couple of people at work with Leafs but the word spread primarily by word of mouth. Although we do not have any official charging locations. I have heard there are a couple of places where you can sometimes charge.

Trollbait likes this.
  10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the DC media market (we call it the DMV: DC MD VA) we do not get too much plug-in or hybrid coverage. MD is CARB and DC has good incentive$ even for hybrids, and VA still has free HOV for hybrids and plug-ins (within limits).

11. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah. My DC area dealer in VA has not sold any PiPs but sell quite a few Prius.
    It looks like some of the slightly larger dealers in the area got a few Primes, though.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV