1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EVSE cable has a mind of its own

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by rogerv, Dec 21, 2012.

1. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No matter how carefully I coil the cable, I can't seem to get rid of the twists and kinks. Has anyone else noticed this, and any ideas how to make it coil more easily? I've tried slightly twisting each loop as I coil it up, as I would do with a standard electrical cord. I've also stretched it out in the sun for a while. Nothing seems to get rid of its tendency to coil back on itself and kink.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I use this method for garden hoses, and will give it a try. The thing is, my EVSE cable came out of the storage area in the car the first day with the tendency to twist and kink I described in my opening post. I've never experienced what the guy in the video claims in the way of ruined extension cords, and I have three of them that range from ten to thirty years of service. Always willing to learn something new, and PC is a good source for that! :D Thanks for the link, cwerdna.

4. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    personally i use the cord pro organizer that's linked in my mods thread. however, i have discovered that if i don't unwrap it fully, the cord can get pretty warm.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine coils very nicely. even in 35 degree weather, i have no kinks or twists. i wonder if warranty would cover it?

rogerv likes this.
  6. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The EVSE definitely has a warranty but I have my doubts about a dealer willing to replace it just because it's twisted. My 2ยข.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe if you go to the dealer and have them compare it to one from another car?

rogerv likes this.
  8. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    The best way to keep hand rolled wires and devices alike is the one shown in the video, over- under with a finger twist.
    I had been using this method for the last 40 years and became 2nd nature while fiddling with extension cords, cat 5, and mic cables in staging set-ups. Never a kink...

9. AvLeg

AvLeg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Mine is also kinda "kinky". I leave it out all the time in the garage and plug/unplug every day. Over the last several weeks it has developed a "mind of it's own". I think I am twisting it without realizing when plugging it in and disconnecting.

10. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Bisco,
    Your cable coils nicely, but how do you coil it?
    I do the over/under method. It works well, although the cold hardens the cable.
    I don't like the video, since I don't coil it with just 2 fingers, but it gets the point across.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i coil it the old fashioned way, laying it in the back of the hatch, brick first and then slowly coiling and twisting, rotation the other end as i go. i don't have to uncoil it much at work because i can park right below my office window. there's a spigot there so i hung a 4" pvc pipe fitting on it to hang the evse on. it hasn't gotten very cold here and it spends most of the time in the garage between 45-50 degrees, still flexible. however, the 30 amp cable i got from the open evse project is pretty stiff!