1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EWP80 (Electric Water Pump)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by NortTexSalv04Prius, Jan 20, 2014.

1. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Retro fit electric water pumps for perfomance, racing, and gear heads have been around .
    On another forum site(not PC) read where a craig davies electric water pump (EWP80) was installed on a Toyota. This would apply for Gen2 Prius (Toyota improved the Gen3)
    My concern about this modification for Gen2 Prius are as follows

......space
    ......mounting/placement/mating
    .......lower radiator connection
    ........do you remove belt drive pump(would require machined plate) for cover
    .........cost $280 pump only
    .........benefit (some increased engine torque)
    There are several choices that summit racing sells for electric water pumps this is the link on the EWP80

EWP80 (12V) ELECTRIC WATER PUMP - PART No: 8005

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was thinking about going this route, but the Prius C hybrid pump would be a direct fit on the gen2 Prius as they use the same engine. No plumbing alterations, and no mounting or space problems.

John (Britprius)

3. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so you are saying remove the belt driven water pump and replace with the prius c electric water pump

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, but I do not know how much this is.
    A variable speed drive system could easily be made to reflect engine temperature, and could also be arranged to come on when the car is turned off to remove engine soak heat.
    Alternatively the pump could be made to run at a fixed speed with an engine run signal. The pump could also be used to supply the cabin heater without having the cabin heater electric pump in place using it's electrical supply as a turn on signal for the engine pump when heat is required.

John (Britprius)

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It is difficult to give an exact figure but this would possibly free about 3hp load from the engine depending on rpm.

John (Britprius)

7. Jim Porta

Jim Porta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do we have any reliability figures on the Prius C water pump?

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not seen any reported problems, but it is probably much the same as the gen3 coolant pump with a different mount, and no reported problem there either.
    The gen2 mechanical pump is not that reliable (leaking coolant).

John (Britprius)

9. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I hate to be a stick in the mud, but the oe pump is really easy to replace, and both mine went over 100k. (maybe I should take a look at the wife's, she's got about 130 now...) I don't think it takes 3hp to drive that little sucker either.

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It must be beneficial to fit an electric pump else why would Toyota go to the expense of doing this on the gen3 and the Prius C. The gains have to be real taking load however small off the ICE. These gains would be shown mostly at higher revs such as on the motorway/freeway and climbing hills. With respect not in any way demeaning your efforts with cold air intakes less costly and with less effort.
    At 100,000 miles on my gen2 I feel it would be prudent to replace my ICE coolant pump. If I change it to an electric pump I can offset the cost of the new electric pump against the cost of a replacement pump, the drive belt, and the tension roller. The coolant can be changed at the same time as it is due.
    The control electronics I can build for nothing with parts I have on the shelf, and with a little thought the cooling system could be improved with less heat loss, faster warm up, very useful in the colder months, saving even more fuel.
    Extended cooling to the ICE after the engine is shut down both on the road, and at the end of a journey in hot weather improving engine reliability.

John (Britprius)

11. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    the cai is very easy and cheap, and easily removable. I don't doubt an electric water pump would help if properly controlled. but i'd bet it would not be cheap or easy at least for most folks who really wouldn't be able to figure out how to control it for maximum efficiency. I would suspect the oe electric pump is controlled by the ME, I wouldn't have a clue how to set up a control unit for a retrofit. but if you have the means and know-how, go for it. but take pix and give us a good write up. it would be interesting to see it done

12. ive

ive Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cd offers an electronic pump temp controller No development required

iPhone ?

13. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    how much does that cost?

14. ive

ive Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    pump plus controoler are abouit $400. Controller alone around $200 I have such a combo i8nstalled in my supercharged Rover K engined Elise as a helper pump.

iPad ?

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    While I agree this controller could be a useful quick solution but the Prius requires some extra control compared with a standard car setup. The Prius engine does not run all the time, but there are times when the engine is not running that the pump may be required to run to provide cabin heat so some extra control wold be required.
    It is also somewhat expensive, but for those without the knowledge to build there own system I can see the attraction of a ready built solution.

John (Britprius).

16. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think a belt driven pump is < $50. but it would be cool if someone did install an electric pump and did a good write up w/ pix.

17. ive

ive Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    the CD pump controller only cares about coolant temp. it adjust pump speed to first reach and then hold the set temp. it would also work on a Prius.

iPad ?

18. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think it would be good that the ecu be able to run the water pump independently of the ice; can the pump controller be controlled by the ecu?

19. ive

ive Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The controller Runs the pump independamtöy of the ICE. It regulated coolant temperature via flow. Low flow for warm up and fast flow for extra cooling. It uses pulse with Modulation to do so and a proportional controller. You can set the coolant temp on the controller.
    I do not understand your question. It works with the engine running or not or in a bucket of water or a pond as long as it gets 12v. It also has fan control and after cooling after ign shut down to provide a measure against hot spots after shut down.

Just read the manual of the CD electronic pump controller

iPad ?

20. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    simple question really. ideally the ecu should be able to control the water pump. there is more to it than just trying to keep the ice at a specific temp. if your not gonna have ecu control of the pump, its kind of a Rube Goldberg mod. and without the ecu knowing you have removed the oe pump, it may run the ice when its not needed.