1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Example of hubris regarding climate change!

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by icarus, Nov 24, 2012.

1. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You missed an announcement.The IPCC changed their policy to use non- peer reviewed information.
    IPCC Gives Up On Science, Makes Grey Literature Official

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Another perspective is available from the IPCC themselves:

http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/ar5/statement/newscientist.pdf

There are large regions (mostly Africa I suppose) where the published literature is relatively scarce. One may perhaps sympathize with the idea of admitting more grey there. Absolutely not, with the idea of excluding published literature in favor of grey. That would be like the title of the article linked in #21. It would be bad.

If it happened.

I had a beef with IPCC AR4 concerning Amazon drought responses. Several journal articles were missed, and their summary was mostly from grey. (the authors who wrote the missed papers were peeved as well, and probably with better reason). If they do that again, I will be disappointed again.

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    As I said, it will be interesting to see if they have reformed. The two biggest areas of grey that have been brought up was on glaciers, which was really a big public embarrassment for the IPCC where it got the science obviously wrong. This was compounded by the chapters editor seeming to have no expertise in the subject matter. The other area was the huricane frequency where Landsea walked out in protest of the lead author using grey liturature that supported his own personal prejuduce and ignoring the peer reviewed science.

That note from the IPCC seems full of hubris -

It seems to be pretending that it has not had a problem in the past, even though this is well documented.

Sure if it spells out problems with its sources and allows full peer review, where critics are listened too, there is no problem with including some grey or preliminary numbers. Unfortunately the peer review process has been totally broken in the last couple of reports and this does not look like they are trying to fix it.

We shall see if the Pachari tries something again, like "we are the IPCC" you have no right to question our science again. It was televised, the support of bad grey literature. There should be another apology every time they try to slip this crap by us. Grey literature on glaciers were reported to be peer reviewed. The US government should cut off funding from the IPCC if they don't address the issue of grey literature.