1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Excellent car registration

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hkmb, Mar 8, 2017.

1. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect the British members and those who've lived in Britain - people like @GrumpyCabbie, @RCO, @Data Daedalus , @ftl and @hill - are the most likely to appreciate this one.

I've seen this car a few times - I think the owner lives on my street - but this morning was the first time I've had my phone to hand.

IMG_20170309_082623.jpg

So who is this guy? It's difficult.

• Is he a non-British English speaker who knows that "Nob" is short for "Nobility", and who wants to show that because he has a new Bentley he is very classy?
    • Is he a remarkably self-deprecating British person who knows what else "Nob" (also sometimes spelled "Knob") means, and who wants to show that just because he's bought a Bentley doesn't mean he's lost his sense of humour?
    • Or is he someone who doesn't know what it says on the back of his car?

Hmmm.... It's a mystery. But it is the most car-appropriate personalised rego (registration number / licence plate) I've seen since this one a couple of years ago.

[​IMG]

Incidentally, the most pathetic I've seen (no photo, unfortunately) was a Chrysler 300C in Melbourne with blacked-out windows and massive chrome wheels with "G4NG5TR". Hmmm..... No, you're not.

Data Daedalus and RCO like this.
  2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps the Bentley owner/driver is a backward Frenchman...
    .. that'd be 'good.'. :ROFLMAO:

Data Daedalus, bisco and hkmb like this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the red plate a weekend plate? or does it mean something else? (like diplomat)

I'm going with 2. sense of humour.

I saw a plate once that had a rather unfortunately combination of letters and number. I eventually figured out what it was supposed to say. Let's see how long it takes you. It was on a Lexus RX.

INHER8NS

Data Daedalus, RCO and hkmb like this.
  4. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm hoping it's 2. Or am I? Maybe 1 is better.

You can pay extra for a registration plate in any colour you want. You can also pay extra for plates that have ornamental designs on them (the Harbour Bridge, a beach, a surfboard, etc), or that have the logo of your favourite rugby league team (personalised registration plates and rugby league fandom kind of go hand-in-hand), or for a design that's similar to German plates. It's all at myPlates. So this guy will have paid a one-off fee for "Nob", and an annual fee for his red plates that match his leather seats.

There are "club registrations", which is kind of like a weekend plate: it's for classic cars, and you can only drive a limited number of km per year, but you're exempt from certain safety regulations.

Diplomatic registrations in NSW are yellow and start with CC (Consular Corps), and in Canberra they're blue and start with DC (Diplomatic Corps).

Data Daedalus, RCO and Tideland Prius like this.
  5. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    .... and maybe the Prius owner is a not-very-good backward dentist.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow the annual fee is expensive! Not gonna complain about our $40/year fee to maintain the rights to the personalised plates!

Data Daedalus and hkmb like this.
  7. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I've never understood why people would do it here. And it's expensive to buy the rights to that registration number too, if you're getting it transferred from someone else. It costs a lot, and while there's the occasional funny one (near us, I quite like "HUNDAN" ("bastard" in Chinese), and the SMUG Prius is of course brilliant), most of them are pointless. Why would I pay all that money to have "KAYEN" on my Porsche Cayenne, or absolutely tonnes of money for "BMW 328" on my BMW328i? (I've seen both of these.) It's only telling me what I already know ((1) Your car is indeed what it say it is in silver letters just above the registration number; and (2) You're a bit of an idiot, and, if I might be so bold, a bit on the nouveau side. Another person who lives round the corner from me has "00 IXXI" on his 911. Ugh.

I remain mystified by "TE5LA" on an old BMW X5 near my kids' school.

When I lived in Hong Kong, my neighbour, Keith, had a BMW 850 with "KE174" as its registration number. We'd lived in the same village for a couple of years before I realised what it was supposed to be.

#7 hkmb, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  8. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do like that one.

9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was in RAF at Sek Kong N.T. not on the island in the late eighties. Were you Kowloon side or Mid Levels?

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd say he's going for the nobility interpretation, but then he's missing an S.

My plate says HYO, and the car's silver. I thought it was blindingly obvious, but no. People ask me what 'aitch why oh' stands for.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They don't make The Lone Ranger series anymore, pity. In those days the good guy wore the black mask! Kids these days (and perhaps their dads too) miss out on lots of thrills we enjoyed.

12. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was in the New Territories, on the road from Sai Kung to Sai Kung Country Park, for most of it. I lived on Hong Kong Island for a couple of years, in North Point, and then moved to Sai Kung. It was a lovely place to live.

13. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but we young folk get to sit with our kids and watch Supergirl. And before that, Peppa Pig. So I have no complaints.

14. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect you're right.

Ahha. So that's where it comes from. For those who can't work it out and ask what it stands for, perhaps you could suggest, "Hey, you're obtuse!".

I just took the easy option and changed my real name by deed poll to LCW936T. Hey presto! A personalised registration number with my name on it, without the expense!

15. afob3

afob3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I love it when a custom tag makes me smile. Here's some of my favorites.
    [​IMG]
    KDZRGON

[​IMG]
    LNCHLDY - Perhaps an Adam Sandler fan :)

[​IMG]
    Nuff Said

16. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was born in UK, and lived there until I moved to USA in 1983. When I was a kid, when a vehicle was first registered it was assigned a registration-plate which stayed with it even when it was sold. You could determine the yera and county of registration from the alphabetic part of the registration, and vanity-plates were quite rare (and very expensive). I remember seeing a Bentley, owned by Jimmy Tarbuck (UK comedian from 60s & 70s) with the registration COM 1C, and I also remember seeing 505 EXY (SO SEXY) on a Lotus Elan...

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

17. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    BTW, my Prius used to have my Ham-Radio call-sign K1WD, but after a while I changed it to CHGYPYG (readers from South West UK will understand why...)

18. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Once saw the then world smoker champion Steve Davis in his car and his plate was POT 1 I think.

19. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm. You might have to help me out with that acronym, Will. Perhaps because I only moved down here in the last 20 years.

20. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Prius reminds me of a large (Magnetic Gray) woodlouse, and in the south of England (Devon in particular) wood-lice are called "Chuggy-Pigs" or "Chooky-Pegs", over here (USA) they're known as "Pill-Bugs" or "Roly-Polys".