1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exceptionally cheap catalytiv converter theft deterrant...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Georgina Rudkus, Jun 22, 2020.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What police report? What TV reporter? I'm not seeing evidence that either group is sufficiently interested in this issue to be a primary concern to the thieves. Both police and reporters have much higher priorities than cat thieves right now. And cat thieves have higher risk of getting caught by an angry car owner or neighbor armed with a gun / ax / tire iron / another vehicle to run them over, than by police or reporters.
    Honest scrap dealers are not the only available markets for cat thieves to sell their wares.

edthefox5 and Johnny Cakes like this.
  2. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    A similar approach to this issue could be taken from the Amazon poop bomb packAge thief special.

Im sure they would love glitter bombs and human feces flying in their face when they go to hack a cat

3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Correct! That's why thieves prefer and go after Prius cats, although high ground clearance trucks and SUV's allow easier access.

4. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So painting it orange isn't going to help if thieves prefer Prius cats because they are larger and have more metals inside.

I don't keep my Big Gulp cup after I drink the Coke!

5. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Won't hurt, either.

It's like Operation Fortitude, where Patton was put in charge of the First Army Group before the Normandy Invasion. It fooled the Germans into believing the invasion was going to be as the Pas de Calais. That diversion tided up many German troops who could have successfully repelled the invasion.

Fortitude was cheap for the numbers of lives saved.

The same thing happened with Operation Mincemeat and the wasted German troops tied up in Norway and the Channel Islands fortresses.

#45 Georgina Rudkus, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can always repaint the cat conv over the orange paint with the color black and no one would know it was orange before.

Disclaimer- this reply may not apply in all situations.

7. JerryScript

JerryScript Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've seen the cable style protectors, has anyone made a tension release device that would trigger pepper spray? Plenty of space for a large reservoir of pepper spray around the cat, large enough to provide continuous spray for several minutes! Very few people would continue trying to hack through to the cat when covered with pepper spray.

ASRDogman likes this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thieves are after the precious metals inside the cat. They could care less what color it is.Theirs no market for seling the cat.

if your really worried just buy one of the plates I posted. they have anti theft hardware too.

Johnny Cakes likes this.
  9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So this would be trying to deceive thieves into believing that it might be riskier to transport and sell stolen cats. It might work on some beginner thieves who haven't yet scouted out a suitable fence to take the cats, but not on any organized rings such as has seriously depleted the London area of Prius cats.

10. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Generation 3 cats take a lot more work to steal than those of Gen 2, Four cuts must be made just to remove the resonator and heat exchanger. The remover under the car will definitely be drenched in smelly or even hot red engine coolant which might cause second degree burns.

That is before the cat can be unbolted from the manifold. The bolts that are nearly straight back on a Gen 2 cat, are tilted at a steeper angle and harder to remove than on a Gen 3.

And, this needs to be done in a pool of slippery smelly red coolant.

Check out this failed attempt;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06HvMEVKdwg

I posted a diagram of where the cuts on a Gen 3 exhaust needs to be made, but Priuschat took it down.

edthefox5 likes this.
  11. Alain D

Alain D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    great and cheap idea - thanks for posting the police videos too. Where did you get stickers ?
    Also licence plate etching with a dremel should be pretty easy as well.

For gen3 looks like you HAVE to remove the front bolts as there isn't a place to easily cut (unlike gen2 if you get just 1 cat) so wondering if the security bolt as seen here should also be added on the cheap... anybody found those ?

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  12. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Stickers are easily made on a cheap label maker. I used a Brother P-touch.

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Setting ethics aside for a bit, virtually all of the cat thefts happen in places where (believe it or not!!) there ARE Castle Doctrine protections....
    Does California follow the Castle doctrine? (Penal Code 198.5)

HOWEVER
    (comma!!!)
    These protections do NOT in ANY WAY apply to catalytic converter theft, legally.
    Even in red states, a DA is going to have you fitted for custodial apparel if you pop-rivet somebody to your lawn or street for attempting to steal a part off of a 10 year old car.

If you live in a less oppressive state, one can (and some posters in this forum HAVE ;) ) placed aimed warning shots near enough to cause an immediate cessation of the unwanted activity.
    Even this must be done with great care, because a loosed round is the responsibility of the person who fired it.

100 percent correct.

Katko v. Briney involved a booby-trapped farmhouse where a 20-gauge shotgun was specifically rigged to injure rather than kill - and it's a GOOD precedent.
    In this context it would probably apply more directly to my idea of using an electric fence charger to deter cat theft.... ;)

FUN FACT:
    Marvin Katko (the injured burglar) had his OWN house broken into after the case.
    Because......Karma.

Threej and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  14. 2012 Prius v wagon 3

2012 Prius v wagon 3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Can anyone confirm that those 14mm bolts really need to come out during a theft? Seems a little odd for a cat thief to use non-destructive tools. Could it be easily bypassed using a sawzall if the bolts don't come out?

If it really is a commonly used step, then that seems like a great thing to add to the lines of defense.

Personally, I would not go as far as getting security bolts like the wheel locks - too difficult for me. But if they're expecting a 14mm and I can easily swap it to a 17mm hex head with the same (M10?) threads, that would be very easy for me, and might throw off the thief. While I'm there, covering the bolt head in epoxy might similarly frustrate the thief enough to make them give up. Yet, if I ever needed to remove the cat myself, it would be slightly delayed, but definitely possible.

15. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  16. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A