1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Excessive Blow by 06 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by freshedie92, Dec 16, 2015.

1. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey guys;

I wanted to bring this up, i noticed a drop in mileage on my prius that caused concern. It went from 49 mpg to 44 one tank to the next on a long drive. I noticed oil was below the lowest point on the dipstick. But the engine was warm at the time, i noticed it misreads when its warm.

Regardless i was due for a oil change, changed the oil, and am back to 48 mpg on my last tank, but i noticed that i also have a lot of blow by with the engine on and oil cap off.

I am burning oil, cant say how much, maybe 2 quarts every 5k.

I recently rebuilt the battery and dont want the motor crapping out on me after an expensive rebuild. I was wondering what you guys think i should do from here. Leakdown test to see if i have a leaky valve stem? I also read people mentioning that the piston rings can get stuck and it would be a good idea to add some detergent directly to cylinder overnight. I plan on doing the pcv soon, but its going to wait till the weekend. There is no oil in my airbox though, so im pretty sure the pcv is okay.

As for the blow by it feels like a hair dryer on medium, not scientific but its fairly strong. Advice much appreciated. :)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's not much you can do, save your money and add oil to the engine as needed

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...just checked mine for you, and I have the same behavior you have on first start-up.

5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    PCV-valve replacement and trying the detergent in cylinders are pretty much all you should try. If they don’t fix it probably best is to install used engine.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OP says he is getting 48 mpg which is very respectable. He also says the rate of oil consumption is one quart per 2,500 miles. I don't see what is the problem that would warrant replacing the engine. As previously suggested, replace the PCV valve if the car has logged more than 100K miles, and then don't worry.

The fact that there is no oil residue in the intake manifold is not proof the PCV valve is good. If anything, that may be evidence the valve is clogged and bad.

Dino33ca likes this.
  7. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry should have mentioned this earlier. It has an odometer change, but based on carfax, i can assume its around 225,000 mi. Currently using 5w30, before i would use 0w20, and synthetic since ive owned it. I owned it for 25k 1.2 years.

I havent looked inside the intake manifold, i looked at the airbox. The throttle body looked to be dirty, but normal, not wet and oily.

The blow by was measured after a lengthy drive, the car was fully warmed up.

I understand that it might not be too bad to have that much oil consumption at my mileage, and i still get good mpg. But I should be getting 50 easy, if not better, i used to. Also I don't like the fact that i am polluting excessively. If it is a relatively easy fix such as detergent in cylinder or pcv i would like to do it. If i need to change valve seals, it doesnt seem like it would be too hard. I almost finished swapping a head on my cherokee, and recently rebuilt the hv battery so I am mechanically inclined. I just wanted some feedback.

We have one other prius that exhibits this much blow by, i dont think this is normal but can anyone else check and report back?

Thanks again you guys are being super helpful :)

8. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bad valve seals (valve stem seals) don’t cause blow by. They only cause oil consumption. Blow by is gas getting past piston rings.Oil consumption can cause blow by but only by first gumming up piston rings.

It’s unlikely to be profitably to fix the old engine. So replace PCV-valve. And if you want clean piston rings with solvent. Do that for long enough. If that reduces blow by but engine still consumes oil then you can think about replacing valve stem seals.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I did check and I have the same behavior on a 2006.

I don't recall anyone on PriusChat ever saying that was a valid test on a Prius, to take off the oil cap and start engine to check for air flow out the oil port. But if anyone has a 2006/2007 without this behavior, let us know.

10. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When you do the blow by test in a Prius you need to put it into neutral. If you do it in any gear or park engine can be under full load (engine will seam worse than it actually is) or just spinning around by MG1 (engine will seem better than it actually is). Other vice test will work exactly the same as on every other car. Just don’t let the battery run empty.

Prius base idle

wjtracy likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    for 225k, it's really in great shape.

12. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for that, you are so right.

im starting to think that i might benefit from adding a detergent to pistons. Anyone have experience with a certain product, or procedure. Does the detergent leak into engine oil, since i just did an oil change i wouldn't want to do another one.

Thanks a lot, never knew that. I will try that out this weekend. It seems strange that that much crankcase pressure would be normal under any circumstances though. Im surprised this hasn't been discussed yet.

First thanks for chiming in :), and i did see your first post where you mentioned you experienced this. I know that no one has talked about this being valid on prius, but i think the prius engine is more similar to a standard engine that one might think. I could be wrong but at this point I am just trying to troubleshoot.

I sure hope so, with the money dump that is the hv i was hoping to stick with this thing for a few years :).

This whole issue came up because of a drop in mpg, which has gotten better since the oil change and tire inflation. I guess my mileage could be worse do to abnormally cold weather in so-cal. I guess im just used to seeing very consistent numbers and when things went awry I panicked.

Still, I am thinking of doing a compression test, if i do i will report back.

Y'all are awesome :)

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Has there been a steady decrease in fuel economy over several tanks? What is the FE pattern?

There's a difference between repairing and restoring a car and it sounds like you may have crossed that point. At what point do you cut your losses and sell the car?

I'm with the others on this, monitor & record the oil usage. Oil's cheap.

14. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pattern has been 49 avg

recently started driving to san diego, first few times it was right around 49. All of a sudden it dropped to 45, i just filled up and mfd lied and i calculated 45 again. right now mfd is saying i got 43mpg over 100 mi so i dont know what to think. If i have a chance i will fill up tomorrow and report back. but such a drastic drop in mpg is strange. The differences are, tire rotation done before drop. tires inflated warm at 44 warm in front 42 warm in back, oil was dangerously low so i changed it and instead of 0w20 mobile 1 i went with 5-30 penzoil platinum.

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The switch from 0W-20 to 5W-30 will account for ~5% mpg reduction. Your engine's oil consumption rate may be reduced with the heavier weight oil but you have to expect the engine will be slightly less fuel-efficient.

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ..also CA has RFG reformulated gasoline (same here in Virginia) which is basically lower energy content to allow cleanest possible combustion, so 49 MPG is superb. MPG varies all over the map depending on phase of the moon etc.;) Be sure to fill-up outside CA on your next trip!

17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So true. I usually get 50+ mpg locally here in AZ. When visiting CA the mpg usually drops down to low 40's.

18. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    5% would only be 2.5 mpg. im getting 10% reduction. i might just do an oil change on it again and put that oil in my jeep if you guys feel that it makes that much of a difference.

I know that we there is a change with winter gas, but nothing i havent already experienced. unless this year the gas is diff? Also since my avg of 49 is with ca gas i think its only fair to keep comparing my mpg drop to same gas. But its good to know that other locations offer higher energy gasoline :)

Starting to eye some used prii on cragslist :(, i dont want to spend money. Btw 2016 prius is fugly, i would rather not go there lol.

Patrick Wong likes this.
  19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    winter fuel is probably 1-2% less MPG, but many parameters are worse in winter. in cold tires have more rolling resist, lubes are thicker, fuel is lower energy, HV battery puts out less juice. In short winter stinks re: MPG.

freshedie92 likes this.