1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Excessive oil consumption solved by a Ford dealership

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mikeflores2000, Jun 15, 2018.

1. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not the EGR. But I cleaned the intake manifold about 100k miles and it looked brand new when I took it apart, and changed the PCV valve too.

bisco likes this.
  2. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I did my first oil change on my 2016 Prius about three week ago and don't like the plastic cover. I always had a habit of checking the garage floor after an oil change looking for drips. I don't know how much it would have to leak to show up on the garage floor.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There might some sound deadening on the top side of that cover too, might absorb a minor spill.

On my third gen I remove the entire panel, to avoid stressing that brittle "hinge". Fourth gen it's more tempting though to just take off (completely) that sub-piece at the oil pan. Maybe take the whole panel off anyway, good for leak check, and CV joint look over.

4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wish the oil filter was on the front of the engine at least. Next time I will get the car higher in the air for easy access. I have the equipment, I'm lazy.

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I leave the door open. I change the filter, then drain the oil. While the oil is draining I check the boots by hand, because, as Mendel has stated, you can't see them very well unless you remove the whole undertray, and I'm very lazy! Then refill the oil to "approximately" the correct level (can't tell because the front is so far up - can't even easily reach the dip stick) so I add the "correct" number of litres. Start the engine, check for leaks. Close the door after shutting off the engine. Back the car off the ramps, and then check the oil level and adjust if/as required. My ramps lift the front of the car about 18" off the ground. I have to use a wheel "chock" to make sure it stays up there. ;)

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    David, what I do, is let it drain good, torque the drain bolt and filter, underpanel back on, car back on the floor (I do the lift with a floor jack and safety stands) and then just add the spec'd. quantity, dub it done. I'll take a cursory look at the dipstick, just to make sure it's registering.

I will check the level more carefully a day or two later, after some driving. So far it's always been right at the top mark, or ever so slightly low, by this method.

#26 Mendel Leisk, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My method- tighten the filter with filter cap til I can't tighten anymore, it actually stops/bottoms out safely. Tighten drain bolt and stop when I see the washer slowly physically bend or lightly crushed.

8. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My little metal tab is sitting in the drawer of my toolbox. It just seemed to get in the way of my oil filter wrench, and then when I got the wrench on it would still be trying to prevent the filter from loosening. Total pain in the butt.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wished they would put the filter on top like BMW does. That would be extremely easy!

Merkey likes this.
  10. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If they made it easy everyone would change their own oil. :p

Raytheeagle and frodoz737 like this.
  11. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know! What a nightmare that would be! :)

12. mikeflores2000

mikeflores2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No, more likely oil leaked underneath oil filter out of sight and onto roadway during cruise. Stevens Creek Toyota in San Jose, CA
    denied any leaks despite ordering an inspection but they went ahead and comped me for an oil change next time.

13. mikeflores2000

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toothless yes, but give a heads up to buy or pass on these problem vehicles.

bisco likes this.
  14. mikeflores2000

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Point granted however leaking and consuming not known until root cause found. In my case the leak went unnoticed and putting in oil to replenish was perceived as consuming oil. Hindsight is consuming oil means burning oil with clouds of smoke which is not the case.
    So yes, point granted could have titled Excessive leaking of oil.