1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Excessive Oil Consumption?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by rgevans871, Mar 25, 2019.

1. rgevans871

rgevans871 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My son is driving my 2012 Prius and reports he is having to add a quart of oil approx. every 4000 miles. The dealer tells him it would not be unusual to have to up to 3 quarts between the 10,000 mile oil changes. I think this is excessive. When I had the vehicle up to 65,000 miles, I didn't have to add any oil between oil changes. I'd appreciate some input as to what might be going on here. By the way my son is nearly 50 and is a very sensible driver with a lot of highway miles.

Ron.

PS. Forgot to note that the car currently has 130,000 miles on it.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    On our 2010 with 199k miles, it burns a quart of oil every 5-6 k miles, so not abnormal.

Tell him to continue checking the oil frequently and add as needed so as to not run it low.

You’ll have other “non manualled” maintenance to do soon, like the egr circuit cleanse.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The canary in the coal mine for Exhaust Gas Recirculation circuit condition is it's connecting pipe to the intake manifold. It's relatively easy to remove/inspect. If it's filling up with carbon that's what the rest of the circuit will be like, at the least.

Have a look at @NutzAboutBolts videos, pinned at the top of 3rd gen Maintenance Forum. Firstly the EGR pipe cleaning, then the full EGR clean, and also the intake manifold cleaning.

A good thread on the subject:

EGR & Intake Manifold Clean Results | PriusChat

And kinda related, on Oil Catch Can Install:

Oil Catch Can, Eliminate that knock! | PriusChat

Merkey likes this.
  4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How fast is he driving? If I keep it 65 and under, and drive like a tourist, about a quart or less every 10,000 miles.
    If I drive 70mph, and drive normal, I double that.

From my experience, and MINE ONLY, the faster and harder you drive the Prius, the more oil it will burn.

ALS likes this.
  5. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ASRDogman that is so true. My Volvo 960 127K miles works the same way on the highway. 1170 mile highway trip each way at the speed limit (70mph plus) will burn through about 3/4 quart each way. Drive at a maximum of 65 mph and it goes through 1/2 quart round trip (2340 miles). Plus I get two and a half to three miles per gallon better mileage at 65 mph over 70 mph.

#5 ALS, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. rgevans871

rgevans871 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the input. I passed it on to my son. I think he might join the forum. I have a Ford Fusion Hybrid now, but miss the mileage of my Prius.

bisco likes this.