1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Excessive Tire Wear

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tmattern, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nwprius @ Jan 29 2007, 05:10 PM) [snapback]382560[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto.

They're so used to putting 32PSI on Corollas and Echo/Yaris models that they'll accidentally do the same for the Prius.

2. lynnh00

lynnh00 New Member

3. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I was doing some research one night looking for recalls on our 2003 on the www.nhtsa.gov site and found several complaints about excessive tire wear. Apparently in some cars there was a problem with the rear alignment (which was adjusted with shims?). It is my understanding that the rear alignment could not normally be adjusted. Not being a mechanic I cannot explain what was meant by the statement. Perhaps some of the more experienced Prius owners could explain? Maybe it was only some cars of that year?

4. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

Well, I've got a slightly odd occurance, or it is to me at least. My '02 Prius has about 47k miles on it and while the front tires had very unusual tire wear, causing me to replace them at about 35k miles or so, the back stock Potenzas are still looking nearly brand new. They look used, but you'd never think they have almost 50k miles on them.

Those front tires never did get explained. They said it was cause I didn't get them rotated, but to be fair I only drove about 5k miles on them since I got the car. They were fine when I got the car, I believe (more assume since my dad is the one that actually looked at the car and bought it). The new tires aren't showing the same wear so it's all good.

BTW, they were slightly overinflated above the specs in the manual, but not up to 42/40.

5. EnsPulver

EnsPulver New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tmattern @ Dec 12 2006, 02:12 PM) [snapback]361117[/snapback]</div>

I just replaced my original Goodyears after 53000 mi. That was generally with pressures according to the manual. I have since gone to 42/40 after reading about its desirability. Noise is a little higher and ride a little more harsh, but mileage is better and I expect better wear.

6. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I now have over 37,000 on the original OEMs and the wear looks pretty good. I run about 42/40, and have never had it aligned in a year and a half. I expect to easily see 50 or 60,000 out of these. Both of our other cars, Subarus, routinely get over 60,000 to a set of tires, so I don't see that the Prius is any different in terms of tire wear. I'm lazy, and just do 10K rotations (every other oil change).

7. Zimmer36

Zimmer36 New Member

I had a blowout on the highway yesterday and had to replace all four tires at 22600 miles. I have owned many cars in my life but I have never actually had to replace all four at one time. I was getting alignments done and rotating and everything. The toyota dealership said I was constantly losing air and I was constantly having to fill. I am not happy. I went to firestone and had tires put on and bought the lifetime alignment plan and the tune of $455.00. Not what I ws planning to spend when I was on my way to a doctors appt. yesterday. Anyway, the inexpensive Firestone tires look of much better quality than what Toyota put on the car at factory. I love my prius but this is quite annoying. I guess its good I got a Firestone credit card. From these postings I will need it every two years or so.

8. cbs4

cbs4 Member

We currently have 64,000 miles on our 2006 Prius that is still fitted with the ORIGINAL tires it came with as delivered from the factory. Goodyear Integrity P185/65R15.

Now that you guys have got me thinking, perhaps I'll rotate them this weekend. They look like they have another 20,000 miles left, which we'll probably reach by the end of the year.

I've skipped a few tire rotations when I've meant to do them. Usually I run out of time after getting cleaned up from the oil changes, which I don't skip.

We've never had the car aligned.

(But we may have maligned the car a time or too! ;) At least concering other issues like the headlights, the transaxle leak, and the periodic check engine lights).

A couple of the tires had to be repaired on the Prius over the last year due to puncture wounds from road hazard. No tire dealer has ever refused to repair these tires, even with tens of thousands of miles on them, they're in that good of shape treadwise and casing wise.

Maybe driving style has something to do with these same long lasting Goodyear Integrity OEM tires wearing out at an unbelievably low 25,000 miles for other Prius drivers. It is just as hard for me to imagine these tires wearing that quickly, as it must be for them to imagine these tires lasting this long.

BTW, I'm also still on the factory original tires on my 7 year old truck, and plan to replace those tires only due to reaching the recommended age limit of rubber compounds (7 years max), not due to tread wear, of which there is plenty still left.

9. beeper

beeper New Member

We own a 2005 Prius and have averaged about 36,000 miles on two sets of 80,000 mile tires. The first set was put on right after purchase because I did not want the Integritys that came on the car. They were Goodyear Comfortreds and went about 32,000 miles. Next was a set of Bridgestone Turanzas that went almost 40,000 miles. Not too impressive in either case. We are now running a set of Goodyear Tripletreds also 80,000 mile tires. Only have about 6,000 on these so far.
    I am not too thrilled with the mileage but when you've got a hot rod Prius smokin' those tires all the time I guess you can't expect good tire wear :lol: . Okay, maybe not so much. I would expect much better than we are getting. Primarily highway miles too.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(beeper @ Oct 27 2007, 05:47 PM) [snapback]531331[/snapback]</div>
    Do you have an alignment report?

I had a problem with real wheel alignment and was wondering what yours looks like.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

11. RedHotPrius

RedHotPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tmattern @ Dec 12 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]361117[/snapback]</div>

Here is my story: (my tires have been wearing out way to fast also)
    I just changed to winter tires and was told that 2 tires were worn so badly they won't put them back on in the spring. These are stock tires that have less than 20,000 miles on them (I change to winter tires for 5 months) I was told to get an alignment. When I got the alignment I was told that it was so badly out of alignment, they could not put it back in and that the rear axle was bent. This is a 2005 Prius with 27,000 miles.
    The dealer does not believe that this is a warranty issue, that it was caused by impact. I don't think that going through a few potholes (which you generally hit with the front tire) or hitting the curb when you back up (at slow speed) should cause the axle to bend.

If anyone else has had this problem, please email me. The quote for fixing it is almost $2,000, unless I can get a used axle (then it's $1,600). Until then I'll wear my tires out a lot faster than I should.

I called Toyota at 800-331-4331 and reported this. Everybody who has this problem should report it to Toyota, because it is not an isolated problem. They should repair this under warranty. (The warranty for the axle is 36 months/30,000 miles)

12. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got about 30,000 miles on the original tires, then put Michelin Hydroegdes on, and will probably replace them when the car has 110,000 miles. (80,000 miles for those who don't like math.) I took a little hit in the MPG department with the hydroedges, but overall they are a good tire.

I'm thinking that I might replace them with Goodyear assurance triple treads.

Also, I thought these radials could only go in one direction, so they should only be rotated from front to back and back to front. Am I wrong about this?

13. engnrng

engnrng New Member

My story is nearly identical. I check pressure monthly, keep 40f/38r. Tire store ignored 70k mile warranty, says it needs alignment now, even though they have been checking and rotating tires every 5k miles. I am down to 3/32 at 58k miles, also replaced OEM tires at 27k miles with Goodyear Assurance Comfortred (am getting long life with same tires on other cars). Store manager says all Prius 2004+ wear quickly on the outside and inside of the tires. Could the low CG be affecting this?

14. dustyhuskie

dustyhuskie Itchy Tomato

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My experience with Goodyear Triple Treds: I have gotten a new set of tires every year since I put about 35K on them. None of them very spectacular (or memorable) except Eagle GT+4s which Goodyear no longer makes. I bought the triple treds for the 80K warranty since the car was old and I figured they would be the last set I bought. They were "chopped" (radial belts shifted) by 30K. 30K is when I was told they were no good but it probably occured at <20K (not real good about taking the car in when there is a problem). Very loud road noise and lots of vibration/instability. I have never had tires do this. Mechanic said that potholes could cause this but all four tires? Something is wrong.

Also, although they are great in snow, rain, and dry conditions, they completely stink on ice. I have P205/60R15's on the Altima. The width of the tire may contribute to their stinkiness but they still stink anyway.

15. wyounger

wyounger New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Treadwear warranties on tires are worth even less than the old-system EPA mileage ratings. Does anyone ever actually manage to collect on them? Even if someone did, the warranties are pro-rated, so you wouldn't be collecting much.

Tire design is all about compromises. You can have long life in a cheap tire, but you will skate all over the road every time it rains. You can have long life in a more expensive tire, though still nowhere near what the treadwear warranty would imply. You can have a moderately priced tire with good grip, but it isn't going to last as long.

Anyway, the only anomaly I see here is that the tire industry advertises treadwear warranties. 35,000 sounds pretty normal to me. The warranty numbers are really over-hyped and unrealistic, but if any one manufacturer tries to get more realistic, it puts them at a competitive disadvantage. I don't know anybody who gets more than about 2/3 of the warranted life in real-world service, and often it's only 1/2. So like the old EPA numbers, about all those are good for in my book is making relative decisions between buying Tire A versus Tire B.

16. Weinerneck

Weinerneck New Member

We scrubbed the OEM tires off in 20,000 miles pressured at 42/40. Replaced them with 100,000 mile ToYo's and scrubbed them off in 34,000. Both set wore off evenly and alignment in good. The only tire that seems to be holding up is the Nokian winter tires that have about 23,000 on them, can you believe that. I need to get another four tire this spring and would like to get at least 40 45 thousand from a set of tires.

Any one have any ideas?

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we've got 20k on our mxv4's and tread is wearing well.
    actually, we've gotta rotate those suckers this weekend. i should write that down.

18. Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Excessive Tire Wear - 4 Tires Replaced Under Warranty!

At 24,000 miles, all four tires on my 2005 Prius are completely bald on the outer edges. My dealer just agreed to replace all 4 and to provide an alignment at no cost under warranty.

I have maintained pressure, and even paid for $110 four wheel alignment at 20,000 miles. After the alignment, the wear started happening even faster.

I wrote a formal letter requesting that the alignment be done over free of charge, and that the tires be replaced on a pro-rated basis, meaning I'd get them for 1/2 price. Instead, they agreed to foot the entire bill.

Perhaps Toyota has recognized that there's a serious issue with the Prius and tire wear. If you think about it, what good does it do to save all that gas if you have to spend $600 every 25K miles on tires and alignment?

Thanks, Toyota, for doing the right thing!!!

19. tjc712

tjc712 TC

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My '07 needed replacement (all 4) at 19,700 miles due to excessive wear (original Goodyears). My dealership acknowledged poor performance and installed 4 new tires (Yokohama) for the cost of 2 with a promise of superior wear performance. 20,000 miles later and I need 4 new tires again (they were rotated). Dealer appears less willng to do the right thing this time. I replied that since they admitted fault last time, they should be even more forgiving this time (being strike 2). They steered me to the Toyota 800 customer care number where I received a recording stating that they were too busy to take any calls at that time. I will press Toyota on the issue of using tires that only last 20K. It really is BS, whether the dealers want to acknowledge or not.

20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So do what the rest of us do and put more air in them. :)