1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

exchange 12 volt battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by windstrings, Nov 4, 2005.

1. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    h
    I touched a bit of this in Cigar lighters.

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes Yes Yes.. Bill Merchant.. he's our man!... If he can't do it, no one.... opps sorry! :huh: :blink:

3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ?????????????

4. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

You must have disconnected it while the car was running... otherwise how did you get it started?
    And if so.. wouldn't it be running off the inverter power that normally feeds the system while the car is running?... the main danger of a disconnect is the battery is no longer there to absorb any voltage spikes you may encounter.... you were totally dependent upon the voltage regulator... good thing it worked well.. you could have had fireworks!

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm sorry.... every time I see Bills name something just takes over! :blink: :blink: :blink:

6. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Totally broken thread!

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ah.... just kiss it and make it better!

8. kk6yb

kk6yb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just want to correct a misconception here about diodes. Back a ways in this thread it was stated that diodes wouldn't let a backup battery fully charge....

Voltage drop across the diode is a function of forward current. It's typically 0.7v for a silicon diode at some specified forward current. Take a look at the voltage vs current graph for a typical diode at this web page.
    [​IMG]

As the backup battery approaches full charge the current will drop towards zero and the voltage drop across the diode will also approach zero. The backup battery voltage will fully charge and the charge will taper off as it approaches within 0.7v of the primary battery (due to the diode voltage drop) but will continue to charge slowly until the voltages match.
    Gary

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Even at full voltage drop of .7, the backup would still do fine and get charged ok... but yea you may be right, as the amperage drops because the backup is getting charged and sucks less juice, the voltage drop may be less too.. but I'm not sure about that, but I'll take your word for it. That makes sense when dealing with resistors, but I'm not sure if those properties still exist for diodes or not?
    It may be "set" irregardless of the amperage that passes.. but like I said.. it shouldn't matter anyway.

I've decided to just keep my "portable external battery jumper, air pump, light" close by and just use that if the emergency ever arrived.
    This way, I am also free to help someone else who needs a jump without needing jumper cables.
    I'm not too keen on jumping rigs off my rig anyway... If you are careless and reverse anything, you'll pop the diodes in your alternator.... when it comes to the prius, who knows what you might Pop!.. trying to jump someone if you reverse the cables accidently.

With the external one, your totally safe.. it will even tell you if you reversed the cables and won't let the current pass. I got mine at costco for 49.99... 1100 CCA and 450 or 500AH if I remember right. It has a diode light, 12V aux outputs or inputs, and airpump... a very handy tool to have around.

There are some cheap ones out there too!.. if its not heavy topick up.. don't buy it!

10. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Any reason? Please enlighten me.

I see some cheap ones (~$25) at pepboys able to output something like 400 or 500A. If we look at some data on start up current of the Prius, it's well under 100A. So there's plenty of margin there.

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You need very little for the prius, but if you jump someone else you would like the extra juice. But If I can get that for 50 bucks.. just don't give 50 bucks or more for alot less.

I was just trying to give you an idea of whats available.

12. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh ok. I didn't think about jumping other cars. You are right about needing more juice.

But you were saying if it's not heavy then don't buy it. I was asking if there's any solid reason to heavy = good quality.

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Electronics themselves can always vary in quality.. but these are extremely simple circuits so that shouldn't be much to fret to over.

The weight will basically be an indicator of battery capacity and amount of lead.
    Car type batteries usually have many "thin" lead plates to give alot of CCA "cold cranking amps", yet it can peter out quickly cause they are thin.

A deep cell with the same weight will crank for longer, but will not have as many CCA. The CCA is basically derived from surface area of the plates, longevity is from the thickness and mass.

To put it simple... some rate thier CCA and don't mention much about their Amp hour "which is more indicative of longevity".

To make it the most simple, weight is the final talley. Since its made for cranking cars, you can assume the plates are thin. So heavier will give you more battery for the buck.

A few years from now when your battery has lost alot of its punch, if you have plenty of reserve by getting more battery than you need, you will still be home free getting the prius going.

14. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

OK, let me jump in.
    The outlet in the dash is completely isolated by a dedicated relay when the car is off. You can't light up anything from there without any mods.
    Now the outlet in the console can backfeed to the ACC turn on, which would have the ECUs that operate under ACC to come on, if you had any 12V constant power available. If the OEM battery is dead, you still as of yet do not have any main 12V. The backfeed is blocked in getting to the main 12V feed by a currently open ACC relay.
    What is interesting though, is that even with the dash outlet, if you have a battery saver or a battery connected here, the ACC stuff stay on even if you power off the car.

Note the following diagram:
    The FR power outlet fuse is unswitched (always on), the Power Outlet fuse is switched (only on in ACC).

15. c4

c4 Active Member

Since the spell of really cold weather we've had, my Classic has shown signs that the 12V battery is getting weak (lights dim significantly when ignition is switched off, voltage at battery sags to below 11V within a few minutes of turning off the ignition, charging the battery in the vehicle didn't do anything to improve it).. It was still booting up the vehicle successfully, but with a whole winter ahead of us, I don't think it would have lasted much longer, so I decided to replace the battery (it's the original battery from its manufacture in 2000, so it's put in its time)..

I considered the Mazda battery, but it wasn't easily available (none ot the dealers had it in stock), so I ended up getting a sealed AGM battery meant for a Honda (the guy at the parts counter said it was for a Civic I beleive), which ws the same depth and just under 1/2" taller, but about 1.5" wider, and more importantly, it had the positive terminal on the right hand side like the Toyota battery vs. reversed for most other batteries.. Because it was longer, I had to remove and modify the sheet metal "tray" at the bottom of the battery compartment, but having done that, the battery fits in the space just fine.. I needed a slightly longer bolt for the hold-down strap (due to the extra height), but everything fit in place just fine... I replaced the terminals clamps with regular North American sized ones vs. cutting down the terminals. The new battery did not have a vent, but because the HV battery cooling duct also exhausts into the 12V battery space, and the new battery is an AGM vs. flooded, I'm not at all concerned about gas build-up.

When I got it out, I saw that the old battery case was bulged on either end, which suggests either gas build-up that didn't vent, or build-up at the plates due to sulfation.. I believe it's the latter as I hooked up the smart charger and it went into desulfation mode immediately, but errored out after several hours, indicating that it could not completely desulfate the battery.. The battery will still hold some charge, but its capacity is severely diminished.. I view the battery damage as confirmation of my contention the Prius' fixed 14V charge voltage represents a sub-optimal charging regimen...

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm Not sure the battery charge of a constant 14V is a bad thing... most charging systems are typically 13.8. If the battery gets discharged, the constant 14V will put more amperage into the battery due to the voltage difference. As the battery gets charged, the amperage teeters off to a trickle charge.

Sometimes bulkeling could come from the battery getting sulfated at one time by getting discharged and left that way for a day or more, then during an aggressive charge a piece of sulfate fell off and cause a short between the plates..... future charges will shunt most of the charge through the shorted spot robbing the rest of the battery of charge was well as building tremendous heat at the point of the short...

Just a guess....

17. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The DC-DC converter is supposed to fall back to 13.8V when it detects the battery is charged.

18. jimnjo

jimnjo Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

That sounds like an almost perfect charging regimen. We live 'off the grid' and our house battery system is actually set to fully charge at 14.4 volts, fall back to 13.8 or so and charge away again. Of course in our cloudy Michigan winter, the poor things haven't seen either of those voltages for a while...

Jim

19. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In living off the grid, what kind of set -up do you have? # of Batteries, type.....loads, etc. California is of course perfect for any type of solar, but the payback is never really sensible.

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I used to live off the grid..... in my area.. hydroelectric is the way to go...... high pressure, low volume.... I lived for 12 years that way and loved it... We have full convienences..... computer, refrig, freezer, washer, dryer etc etc... but I got so busy with kids, work, events etc... it became very unprofitable after a while fighting the elements.. "snow, ice, wind, chopping wood, clearing snow"... you know... a cowboys work is never done!.....

I would like to go back to it when I retire.......