1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exclamation light after 12v change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Davidude, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey all, I bought a new 12v and installed it just fine. Now once my engine turns on, this light stays on. The manual doesn't say much, but I think it has to do with regenerative breaking. I've received poor gas mileage since this new 12v and the light pop up. I have replugged in the 12v twice with no difference. Any advice? Picture won't show so see it here https://i.imgur.com/XPWpYea.jpg

[​IMG]

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what's the brake light on the left?

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is an electronic brake warning. Not ABS but regen or ecb. Not good. Time to get the OBD codes harvested to see exactly what the car is unhappy about.

Auto parts store may be able to harvest the codes for this but dealer for sure but will be $150 to do that. For $150 go buy an Xgauge you can pull the codes yourself. Wherever you get the codes read make sure you write them down complete with all there subset codes
    and post them here.

Is the brake fluid reservoir full? I bet regen braking is not working. Please list the miles on the car.

bisco likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Without a code reader, codes from the brake ECU can be read by using a short piece of wire and counting light blinks, reporting them here. Doesn't have to be big bad news. Sometimes the brake ECU will want to relearn certain calibrations, which is kind of fun actually; you stop in a nice level spot and tell the ECU "ok, do your thing" and you listen to it play little games with the brakes for a minute or two and then it's happy and the light goes out. Remember it was sitting there for a while with no power while you changed the battery.

It could also turn out to be some dreadful brake problem that just happened to crop up at the same time. But either way, you'll know by reading the codes.

5. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My OBD2 reader can't read the codes so I'll have to make my way to a dealership.

My brake fluid reservoir is pretty full, but my regenetive brakes aren't working at all. I have 186K miles on the car. This has never been an issue until I unplugged the 12V so it shouldn't be a real problem, it somehow shook up the system.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Or see #4 if you don't have a usable reader.

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Any chance that something just needs to "re-learn" after the loss of 12 V ?
    Have you driven it more than a few blocks yet ??

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    upload_2020-3-3_7-39-54.png
    I'm reluctant to ask, but would that be the warning that parking brake is on?

Never mind:

upload_2020-3-3_7-46-36.png

#8 Mendel Leisk, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Was the electronic brake power supply located at the 12v battery reconnected properly?

kenoarto likes this.
  10. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes, and I've reconnected it. There is one connector that is stuck and even the local auto shop couldn't get it off. It's the long connector that doesn't go to the brake power supply, but to the doohicky connected to the positive battery terminal. Not sure what happened when I unplugged it. Hoping if I visit a dealership they can take a look at it and maybe they have a tool to remove it. I took it off and put it back in no problem.

11. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    #4?

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Post #4 in this thread, regarding the count-light-blinks method to get brake system trouble codes when no code reader is handy.

13. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ah, how do I do that? Where's the light and what wire?

14. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sometimes around PriusChat, if there's a topic that's been covered to death in years of old threads, we'll just mention it, as a kind of a shorthand. It's not about trying to slow you down or anything, it's just fairly easy to search, and not a lot of fun to type the same stuff over and over.

Stevewoods likes this.
  15. Glen2007

Glen2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Theres a small amp fuse on the + terminal you could check that. What brand battery? whats the voltage car off and car running?
    Before you go to the dealer and spend $ 125 for them to only read codes. You might be better off getting mini vci toyota tech stream and a laptop then you can read every code yourself.

16. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And maybe not too.
    That tends to encourage people with no mechanical experience and training to just start changing parts without looking at the "big picture".

But then, wait, that is not much different than what happens if you take it into a dealership. :eek:
    :(

17. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base

I decided to order the mini vci cable for the tech stream, apparently I have no wire in the house and $30 to diagnose any future issues with this car isn't bad. I'll post an update on Friday assuming it works.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    (y)

Sam's got a point here; once you have your reader, don't be the guy who sees a code like "Pxxyy KANUTEN VALVE" show up on the code reader and immediately thinks "oh, that means I should buy a kanuten valve", because those fortune-cookie quotes that come up on the code reader are not the whole story of what a code means, and the real reason you have the code can lie somewhere else.

But good on you for getting the reader, so you also won't be the other guy who says "oh, maybe I'll read the codes after I run out of expensive parts to throw and my car's still not fixed."

The sweet spot in between those two extremes is around where you get the codes, look up what they are really telling you (the "detection condition", to use the lingo; more info), think a bit and poke around to see why your car had that condition, then fix it.

That way turns out to work pretty well.

19. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base

Thanks, I'm pretty handy but the Prius electronics have always been a confusing mystery to me. I'm almost absolutely certain that there is no brake problem since I never had anything happen until I reinstalled the 12v. Fingers crossed I can reset the code easily. Hate to be that guy that keeps asking questions, but where do you guys find the TechStream software? There's one website that keeps popping up but it looks pretty sketchy.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base