1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exclamation Triangle, may need to replace HV battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KatieS, Oct 19, 2016.

1. KatieS

KatieS New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Two days ago after I left a parking lot and was driving down the road, the exclamation mark triangle and several other warning lights lit up. It had been storming very had the previous days, but no major temperature changes- just a lot of rain and wind. Today I took it to an automotive shop to get the codes read, and it said the hybrid battery pack needs to be replaced. I have a 2007 Prius with 103k miles on it, the last time the warning lights came on it was the inverter coolant pump that had gone, and I've had it replaced since.

I noticed the HV battery vent started blowing today, which evidently means the battery is overheating, even though it hasn't gotten over 60 F here. I suppose one way or another I've got to get the battery worked on now. I hadn't noticed any driving issues before very recently, but now it seems the car lags in accelerating out of a stop. That seems to be the only problem otherwise; the info display shows that the battery still charges all the way up however, which is confusing. My local Toyota dealership told me they didn't have any appointments available until November 4th, 16 days from now. Will my car even last that long?

My main concern is whether or not I have to worry about my car giving out on me while I'm driving, or having it refuse to start. If anyone could tell me what to expect until I can get this fixed, I'd appreciate it a lot.

#1 KatieS, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! your battery has a 10 year, 150,000 mile warranty. get the to a dealer for a fee replacement. are there no other dealers available?

3. KatieS

KatieS New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's fantastic if that's true! Unfortunately though, it is in fact the only Toyota dealership in the county. But I'll call them tomorrow to ask about that warranty, and maybe if anyone canceled their appointment, haha. Thanks!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wish i could tell you that you can drive the car with no issues, but it's hard to say for sure.

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Be ready to provide VIN.

Everything you report are classic symptoms of Hv Battery failure: dash lit up like xmas tree, no power, hearing battery cooling fan in back.

If the car has maintained registration in California or any CARB State registration since the very first owner (whoever that may be), and assuming this car is not a salvage title, you won the HV battery lotto. You have to get to a dealer, so they can confirm.

STOP driving the car immediately. Battery is getting weaker and can not help power the car to drive. There will be a point in time, in the IMMEDIATE NEAR FUTURE, the car will refuse to go, leaving you stranded. Get it towed to the Toyota dealership. Get a rental; maybe Toyota will cover the rental?

6. KatieS

KatieS New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought it used salvage, yeah :( so the warranty probably is void. I wonder whether whatever caused it to be considered salvaged is the reason both the inverter pump and the battery have gone out relatively early.

7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, you will have no warranty whatsoever, and the manufacture has no legal obligation to provide any warranty coverage. There is nothing preventing the dealer from providing the warranty coverage to you and absorbing that cost, but this is unlikely.

Extensive water damage or repair costs coming close to 50% of the car's value at the time of the accident, usu cause insurance companies to write the car off. These cars then go off to auction.

You don't know if the current odometer reading is even correct. It is possible the original combination meter (speedometer, trip meter, P/R/N/D/B indicator) went bad and the rebuilder replaced it w/ a used one that had low mileage. Don't waste anytime wondering. It is what it is.

Since it seems you knowingly purchased a salvage vehicle, did you at least get it inspected, and what did this person look at?

To give you pricing perspective, a new OEM HV Battery pack can be had for $2071. A new OEM HV battery WILL OUTLAST any rebuilt battery from a scamlist (AKA Craigslist) rebuilder, or business such as Doorman or Fraudtech (AKA Greentech).
    https://lovetoyotaparts.com/parts/2007/Toyota/Prius/Base/?siteid=215143&vehicleid=189812&section=HYBRID%20COMPONENTS
    Prius 2004-2009 category | GreenTec Auto
    https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/NHY2001002/NHY2001002

You can attempt module replacement for a few hundred, but don't expect great longevity. Some people have been fortunate to achieve longevity, but that is the exception.

The HV pack can always be transferred directly into another Gen2. Or transferred into a Gen3 by swapping all the modules from the Gen2 case into the Gen3 case.

#7 exstudent, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  8. KatieS

KatieS New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did, but I bought it quite a while ago and can't remember how in-depth the inspection was. I know the inverter coolant pump issue was a problem for a lot of Priuses and put under recall at one point...neither issues are terribly uncommon, so I don't know if I'm being paranoid about my car's integrity or not.

I'm friends with a very good mechanic though who replaced the pump for me and looked at the car a few other times, he never found anything amiss besides the pump, but we were only focused on what's under the hood.

9. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A mechanical inspection is a good thing. But that's only half of the equation. A physical inspection (interior and exterior) looking for body work repair is the other half. Some body work is of such poor quality, that even a "blind" person could see it.

I would be concerned about the car's integrity. Salvagers make money at your expense. They have to buy the carcass, get parts (stolen or legally purchased), and fix the damage to be somewhat presentable. Many skip corners, b/c they want to make a profit. Doing proper repairs will eat into the profit.

Salvage repairs skimped, resulting in death.
    Did Air Bag Failure Lead To Teen's Death? - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego

Tips for Buying Rebuilt Cars - Consumer Reports

For a fee, CarFax and VIN Audit could tell you the accident damage area and other things about any used car in question.

I would be concerned if the air bags are even functional. They could be wired to trick the computers to think there is a proper working airbag, where there may not be.

Hopefully you paid very little for this vehicle due to the salvage title.