1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

exhaust actuator recall?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by darkleafar, Nov 30, 2012.

1. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    i have a Prius v three and i went for an oil change at the dealership (i have the extended maintenance plan) and they told me there is a recall on all prius models for the "exhaust actuator" which is supposed to heat up yhr exhaust and apparenlty it has something to do with the possibility of the coolant leaking? this is the first i have heard of this. can anybody chime in on this before my scheduled appointment tomorrow? and one other unrelated question; they recommended that i change a couple of filters, the earth filter and i think thr exhaust filter or something. it will run me about 85 bucks for both. is it worth it?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No I would not change an earth or exhaust filter on a 2012 Prius v. I might consider an air filter and a cabin filter, but only if the mileage indicated in that glove compartment owners manual has been exceeded. If you want to save money and it's time, have Walmart do it for you unless you want to follow the instructions in said manual and do it yourself.

3. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    sorry, i think it was cabin and air filter. And they said its recommended at 15000 miles, my car is at 19264. And what about the recall? anyone?

4. RonKo

RonKo New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've had my Prius V since August and have not heard anything regarding any recalls. Any recalls I've had in the past w/different cars have been covered by the maker/dealer. Also recall announcements have come in the mail and not through the dealer service department. I would contact Toyota about this. Something smells fishy and it has nothing to do with the filters.

5. vlady

vlady Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Toyota issued recall sometime last spring. Check techical forum for info. I had it done with my 5k service.
    Toyota does nice job notifying it via web. Make sure you register.

6. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The air filters being changed has nothing to do with the recall. They recommended the change of the filters simply because I am past the 15000 miles mark. The recall was something that just came up as a side thing and that will be of no cost to me.

7. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, they said the recall would cost me nothing. The recall you are talking about is the same one I am talking about, correct?

8. darkleafar

darkleafar Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  9. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Changing those 2 filters would take you 20 minutes and no special tools. Assuming the $85 is for both parts and labor, not absurd.

Now as to frequency, on other cars I've gone longer on the cabin filter, air filter seems reasonable considering you are trying to get max air flow to the engine for max mileage.

Ask for the removed parts and see for yourself the condition so you'll know the answer next time.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For regular Prius the Warranty and Maintenance Guide (the smaller booklet, comes with the Owners Manual) says:

For Engine Air filter: inspect every 5000 miles, clean as required, and replace at 30,000 miles

For Cabin Air filter: inspect every 10000 miles, clean as required, and replace at 20,000 miles
    (there's a 5000 mile staggering of the intervals depending on if you have the solar power vent system or not)

Check your documentation, see what it says. Also, both filters are pretty easy to change yourself. But see what the parts will cost, if their charge to install is not that much more...

11. grayvee

grayvee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    the recall is no big deal but they need to have the part and they didn't have it when I had my first service. I waited until my next service. I change my own cabin filters for 20-30 bucks. I havent looked at the cost for the vee yet as its not in the parts books at the stores yet. The prius v is not listed. I hit it with the air gun while I have it out.