1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exhaust duct 10mm bolt replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gotroot801, Jan 25, 2016.

1. gotroot801

gotroot801 Junior Member

So I was changing the 12V battery in my '07 (thanks, Blizzard of 2016!), and in the process the bolt that secures the exhaust duct to the sidewall fell into the battery well, and my short, stubby fingers couldn't get it loose. At this point I have everything else reassembled so I can drive the car, but I was wondering what I should be looking for in terms of a replacement bolt since I'd rather not drive around with the thing loose for long.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Home Depot sells metric fasteners. Some of the license plate bolts are pretty standard and in a commonly used size, make sure you get the metric size.

gotroot801 likes this.
  3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    IIRC correctly, I did the same thing while cleaning the blower fan.

IIRC again, I think I got out the household vacuum cleaner (a shop vac might work, also), and put the skinny "knife edge" crevice tool type attachment onto the end of the hose, stuck it behind the battey and the bolt stuck to the end of the attachement (too thick to go through into the actual hose).

There is a slight possibility that I used my magnetic pickup tool, but I doubt it, since that would have entailed me walking up to my tool shed and getting it, and I already had the vacuum next to me since I was cleaning out dust and junk, anyway.

[​IMG]

#3 Stevewoods, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As an aside, just so it does not turn into a "lather, rinse, repeat," sort of thing, whether you keep buying new hardware or recover the old....smear some white grease -- or even vaseline will work -- on your socket, to help prevent the bolt from slipping off.

6. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I sort of made my own several years ago -- again using the crevice tool and the body of a cheap Bic pen. Took out the innards of the pen, stuck the tube into the end of the crevice tool and taped up all around. Made it possible to get a bunch of seeds out of the blower fan that some rodents had decided to store in there for the winter.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is a self-tapping bolt since it fits into a plastic fitting in the right rear fender. A magnetic wand may find the original.

I use a piece of electrician's tape to hold the bolt to my socket. Once the bolt gets started into the hole, I pull the socket away so that the tape will let go. Then I remove the tape and use the socket to fully tighten the bolt.