1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exhaust gas heat exchanger component replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Mike Bezuyevskiy, Sep 29, 2022.

1. Mike Bezuyevskiy

Mike Bezuyevskiy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So after an attempt was made on my catalytic converter, I decided to deter future thieves with a custom theft prevention system. I basically had a shop weld a chain and rebar around my catalytic converter. The problem now is that the rebar was in the way of a component of the gas heat exchanger and did not allow the coolant pipe to move sufficiently while the car was driving. This lack of mobility put undue pressure on the pipe and caused it to crack and leak coolant from the pipe and seemingly the flange. Pictures are below.

The shop told me that they would have remove the part to reweld it as they could not do it while it was on the vehicle. I was going to cut through the rebar and remove the restriction and then just swap that component of the gas heat exchanger.

Does anyone know what this component is called and can it be purchased separately from the catalytic converter assembly? Also, upon further inspection, it looks like it may be welded to the catalytic converter, I pointed out the location in the picture. Any idea if that is the case? Any input would be welcome. Thanks in advance!
    cat converter.jpg cat1.jpg cat2.jpg

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They didn't notice that when they welded it????

3. Mike Bezuyevskiy

Mike Bezuyevskiy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There is a 3-5mm gap between the rebar and the pipe so there is a little space but I guess not enough. I was not aware of how much movement occurs in that area and they did not give me any advise on the matter when I told them to weld it on. Now it seems like I may have to remove everything and get that pipe rewelded.

ASRDogman likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota does not sell it separately. The part as sold by Toyota is the "front pipe assembly", which includes both catalytic converters, the heat exchanger, and a sub-muffler, and the pipe back to where it meets the muffler/tailpipe.