1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WTB exhaust heat exchanger, not EGR. not catalytic

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by tacopyro, Nov 5, 2022.

1. tacopyro

tacopyro Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looking for a Exhaust Heat Exchanger from a Prius. This is NOT the EGR, and i dont need the catalytic.
    i need this part for a different application i'm doing a conversion in.
    Thank You!

it looks like this... it doesn't have to be exactly this model... it can be from any year...
    priusheatexhanger.JPG

#1 tacopyro, Nov 5, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
    SFO likes this.
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Curious to learn more about this "conversion".

3. tacopyro

tacopyro Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sure SFO, this might get a bit winded. i recently acquired a 82 VW Vanagon diesel camper. it has a 1.6NA engine. i bought it in Seattle and drove it down to LA with my wife. There are many things it needs but i'll just mention the engine. its well known that the engine is pretty gutless and coming back down i purposely avoided the grapevine. i took the 5 all the way down til Sacramento and then switched to the 1. and even then going uphill, best i can do was 30mph. sometimes 25mph. It felt dangerous to say the least, but we made it. and whats a old VW bus trip without a breakdown? PO has been patching things and not properly repairing so the first that went out was the expansion tank. good thing i planned ahead and i knew all the VW shops along the way. it also loses half a qt every 100mi. thru many leaks. body is good tho.

So fast forward, i decided to do a TDI upgrade. i looked for a parts car and found a Jetta. Also in need of many TLC but i'm just after the engine and harness for the most part. i noticed that it takes time for it to heat up when just idling. 20 mins, from 110F and it just barely reached operating temp of 190F with a ambient of 63F. it does heat up faster if you drive it, within 5 mins depending on conditions. It does keep the coolant temp in operating range once there. i'll be doing a major overhaul once i take it out. Currently i'm driving it around to work out the issues and kinks so i know its in good working condition before i move it to the Van. from 48hp/70ft-lb to 90hp/165ft-lb or more.

I have 2 options and i may put them both in. the Jetta (Manual trans only) uses a gang of 3 heat plugs to help warm the coolant during warm up cycle. I was thinking of not relying on that so much and instead use a exhaust heat exchanger. or i could do both. (edit: you may already know this. TDIs are known to take time to heat up because of its thermal efficiency - link )

So thats the gist of it. I am probably overthinking this as i always do. but i was thinking of driving to Alaska and other Northern parts so i want to be prepared. :)

#3 tacopyro, Nov 6, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
    bisco and SFO like this.
  4. tacopyro

tacopyro Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hmm. i'm getting a lot of PMs from new new members telling me their buddy is selling one.
    i dont understand why its always their buddy's that i need to email thru gmail. smells fishy but i dont fish...

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree, scammers

tacopyro and ColoradoCrow like this.
  6. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle: