1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exhaust manifold rusted through (2006, 182K)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Soylent, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I went to the dealer to check up on a noise that's been getting louder over the last few months. It sounds like an old motorcyle and it gets louder as I accelerate, and it's coming from below the passenger-side foot well.

They took a look, and said the exhaust manifold is perforated from rust. The exhaust center pipe is fine from what they could see without dropping it, though.

I'm not sure why the manifold is the only part that's rusted out, though, because it seems to me it's much thicker and heavier than the exhaust pipe.

So they want $1,000 to replace the manifold (and another $1,600 if the center pipe is also damaged). How long can I leave it like this? Do I have any other options?

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One option is get a second opinion. Seems unlikely that the exhaust manifold is rusted out.

I would bet that the downpipe from the exhaust manifold has a hole in it at its lowest point from condensation that
    collects there after the car cools off. My old Honda Civic VX downpipe rusted out in just this way and it separated there when I was driving it one day - instant header :LOL: .

If not the downpipe, then perhaps a gasket is leaking at one of the exhaust pipe connections.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is a safety issue to be driving a vehicle with a leaky exhaust system so this should be immediately repaired.

Another option is to obtain used parts from a salvage yard (although this would not be legal if a catalytic converter is involved) and have an independent mechanic install them.