1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exhaust options for an 07 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by bomber991, Jan 6, 2007.

1. bomber991

bomber991 New Member

Yeah, so my dad got a Prius a few months ago, and he keeps complaining about how quiet it is.

So I was wondering what exhaust options exist for the 2007 Prius? Which manufacturers make bolt-on exhausts? I was looking at Sigma Automotive and I found TOM's Exhaust System as well as Ganador Exhaust System. I take it that both of these are just bolt on's right? Are there any other options out there?

Thanks to all those who reply.

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How can louder exhaust help when the engine is not running?

3. bomber991

bomber991 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Jan 6 2007, 07:25 PM) [snapback]371894[/snapback]</div>
    Well, of course it's not going to do anything when the engine isn't running. I know it'd be pretty weird to have a louder exhaust on the car since the engine always turns on and off, but still.

4. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bomber991 @ Jan 6 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]371874[/snapback]</div>
    That's what an exterior speaker system is for. Louder exhaust, air horn, train whistle, etc.
    Things have been getting silly in other threads, so I thought I'd just add.
    It would be nice when some jerk passes you and then slows down in front of you to give a blast that would make him think twice.

Dave M.

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    does he have a smile on his face when he mentions how quiet the car is? i know the rest of us do.

Maybe i should have an exhaust.. give my enemies a chance to hear me when i'm zooming towards them... hehe

6. ttaylor667

ttaylor667 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Jan 6 2007, 09:20 PM) [snapback]371904[/snapback]</div>
    I recently made an impulse purchase of a Kong Airhorn on Ebay from Siege engine. It is a chromed train horn complete with compressor and tank. It should arrive on Monday or Tuesday.

The air tank and compressor should be fine in the rear compartment. The horn on the other hand might be a problem, as it is rather large. I probably should have done some exploration on the available space for a train horn. Having it on the roof probably would defeat the drag coefficient, and look stupid. It may require some remodification of the mounting bracket. Okay so maybe it wasn't the brightest mod, but hey, I'm a guy, it's what I do.
    Todd

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I purchased an Elise a while back...and now all I can think of is, "darn, this car just doesn't have the cargo capacity I was hoping for..."

8. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jan 8 2007, 01:23 PM) [snapback]372624[/snapback]</div>
    Queen of Sarcasm!.,.....Excellent.

9. bomber991

bomber991 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jan 8 2007, 02:23 PM) [snapback]372624[/snapback]</div>
    Don't mean to be an a-hole here, but could you guys do me a big favor and only post on-topic replies? I don't care much to discuss the logical sense it does or doesn't make to put some sort of after market exhaust on a Prius. I'll make a separate thread if that's what I want to discuss. Thanks.

10. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bomber991 @ Jan 8 2007, 07:01 PM) [snapback]372767[/snapback]</div>
    You don't care much about the logical sense of modifying your Dad's car? Does your Dad know about this?

When I make a decision, logic plays a large part in the process.

Why don't you drop a V-8 in the car if you don't care about logic and sense? And leave the mufflers off if you want it nice and loud.

The Prius is a logical, sensible car...in case your incredible grasp of the obvious has failed you again today.

11. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jan 8 2007, 07:38 PM) [snapback]372784[/snapback]</div>
    Wow- Ouch! Pinto...easy girl. He is probably like 16 years old and thinks that very single car on the road would be sooo bitchin with one of those stupid coffee can mufflers hanging out the back and dragging on the ground with sparks flying at night.
    I remember going on a trip with my parents when I was about 10 and every time a car passed I would say, "Wow, that car would look cool with big tires and rims in the rear......." B)

12. bomber991

bomber991 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jan 8 2007, 06:38 PM) [snapback]372784[/snapback]</div>
    You know, the reason I refer to my Dad and Dad's car is beacuse it is his car. He's 55 and doesn't know s**t about computers, and I was trying to help him figure out what options exist out there. He doesn't give a s**t about making the car fast. He just wants it to be louder when the engine is running so he doesn't fall asleep while driving.

So you see, the logic I had here was "Hey this is a Prius Forum. It's the largest Prius Forum out there. If anyone anywhere is going to know what sort of exhaust options exist for a Prius, it would probably be here."

You guys are all trying to turn this into a "Why the hell does this guy want to race his Prius?" type thread. What the hell is your problem? Why do you guys have to be so stuck up? If my dad wanted a fast car, he would have bought a 350z. And if someone wanted to race a Prius, or any other car for that matter, they would need to do more than just a catback exhaust.

13. ttaylor667

ttaylor667 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bomber991 @ Jan 8 2007, 09:16 PM) [snapback]372838[/snapback]</div>
    Try this http://priuschat.com/Tom-s-Exhaust-t27800.html

T

14. bomber991

bomber991 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amishlandprius @ Jan 8 2007, 08:35 PM) [snapback]372844[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, I ran a search before posting this thread. That's how I found out about the Tom's. I was just wondering what else there was.

15. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bomber991 @ Jan 8 2007, 06:16 PM) [snapback]372838[/snapback]</div>
    If that is all he needs get him a Napzapper, it is a lot better than a new exhaust sustem.

http://www.cookselfdefenseproducts.com/driver-alarm.htm

16. bugmenot

bugmenot New Member

You'll have to forgive/ignore some of the members... They can get quite stuck up over their cars and opinions.

17. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bomber991 @ Jan 6 2007, 06:19 PM) [snapback]371874[/snapback]</div>
    Seems like you found the bolt-ons, but for exhaust stuff I like to support a local shop. Any decent muffler shop can fab you something right up, or just replace the muffler with something louder. Removing the intake baffle will also increase the sound level on the intake side.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bugmenot @ Jan 8 2007, 10:47 PM) [snapback]372871[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah. Obviously there is at least some demand and interest for a louder/different exhaust, or Tom's wouldn't offer one.

18. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bomber991 @ Jan 8 2007, 09:16 PM) [snapback]372838[/snapback]</div>
    Please use your 'inside' voice, and refrain from obscenity.

So, your Dad "...just wants it [the Prius] to be louder when the engine is running so he doesn't fall asleep while driving?"

Huh?!?

Get one of those anti-sleep devices for him that administer a little electric shock when one's skin temperature falls below a certain level or one's head tilts beyond a certain angle.

19. ttaylor667

ttaylor667 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Jan 8 2007, 11:17 PM) [snapback]372889[/snapback]</div>
    Regarding the exhaust baffle. I haven't crawled under mine, so I am not certain if it can be gotten to at home. On a harley, we used to shove an iron rod up the exhaust and give it a wack when it bottomed out. May work on a prius, may cause a bajillion dollars in damage.

The engine brake most likely works on a back pressure build up from the exhaust. There might be someone that would know for sure. I'd be careful before I tried it.

T

20. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a real question about "dad" not wanting to fall asleep while driving so he is looking for a louder muffler. I don't know of any muffler that is going to do that. I have driven some serious HP cars with headers, free-flow exhaust, etc. If you are prone to fall alseep, the drone of the pipes is probably going to put you to sleep. This logic being offered is just faulty. A louder muffler is not going to keep him awake-period.