1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exhaust Pipe Support

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rob.au, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Okay team, what do you think? Is the oxidisation on this support (or whatever it is called) normal?

exhaustsupport1.jpg exhaustsupport2.jpg

The location is just forward of my right rear wheel. I suspect it will also be on the right in your left-hand drive vehicles but I could be wrong. You have to get down pretty low to peer under the car to see it, but it's not a long way in.

Happened to recently park near a staircase which gave me a view of this object and I was surprised to see it in that state after only six months.

2. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That hanger is pretty rusted... All my previous cars have never experienced that kind of rusting even after several years but I live here in California.

I'll check mine and see how it looks (a little over a month old)

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like cutting corners in the manufacturing process... My best guess is they either used the wrong kind of metal or the wrong kind of paint on it.... That support, if it's not cost effective to use stainless steel or aluminum probably required high temperature paint, which they didn't use and I suspect the original paint cooked off exposing the metal to rust. It's probably not worth the hassle dealing with the dealer. Just sand it down and spray it with high-temp primer and high temp paint. Problem solved...

4. dick_larimore

dick_larimore Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't be surprised by this corrosion. Exhaust systems now are made of aluminized steel or stainless steel. However, the brackets are uncoated steel. The high exhaust temperatures burn off any coating on the brackets, exposing them to corrosion. You can coat these rusted brackets with products like Loctite's Extend. This stuff converts the iron oxide to a black coating which looks a lot better than "rust".

5. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    If it's just for appearance sake I'm not bothered. The only reason I even saw this was because I was parked right next to an open stairwell in a multi-level carpark and happened to observe this item when walking up the stairs.

6. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Weak surface rust.

If you just can't stand it, naval jelly and then some aluminized spray paint.

Otherwise, it really isn't all that big a deal.

7. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So there's no concern that this part will fail due to the corrosion? I'd be freaked out if I saw something like that on such a young car, and I'd be worried that if I didn't bring it to the attention of the dealer and it later fell off...

8. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Eventually, yes, it will corrode and fall apart. All cars must die.

You should see the underside of my truck. Just last year I found the first rust-through and it was quite a sobering experience. But I use it mostly in the winter and we use salt like you can just dig it out of the ground.

This little bit of rust on the hanger is no more than surface rust. It hasn't had time to really go to town yet. You could get an oily rag and probably wipe most of it off.

9. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I must say I am heartened by the fact that it's the piece attached to the pipe and not the piece attached to the car. :) Presumably it would be subjected to much higher temperatures.

I must say that relatively speaking my c would have been experiencing a low-sodium diet... it is surprisingly rarely parked outside and while it does venture towards the coast on weekends, it rarely is within sight of the ocean and the areas where you get salt build-up on external windows. Also as we don't get snow, we don't salt our roads, it's just the regular grit and whatnot.

10. AmitaK

AmitaK New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My first post here. Really want to thank all of you, I learn so much from this forum.

I discovered similar rust issue as Rob.au on my 2013 Prius C4, just 2 months after purchase. At that time, I had only driven it for about 1300 miles, and not in any snow yet. It looks like Toyota really used some low-grade metal with little protection, presumably to cut cost. Here are some pictures I took at that time.

Just behind the converter in the center front:
    2014-01-13 00.23.02.jpg

Same spot as posted by the OP under the rear passenger side door:
    2014-01-13 00.20.57.jpg

Another bracket under the rear bumper:
    2014-01-21 01.46.17.jpg

Rusting nuts and bolts in the front wheel wells:
    2014-01-17 02.34.36.jpg

Overall, I still love the car because of its MPG, but am a bit concerned about how well it will hold up in the long run after seeing this on such a new car.

ftl likes this.
  11. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Good photos! I'll have to check my 2012, if it ever stops snowing.