1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exhaust system parts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Martini, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Martini

Martini New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2006 Prius with 265,000 miles on it. My mechanic said I need all the parts necessary to replace the exhaust system. I'm going to buy them, he'll install them. Does anyone know how many parts are needed, and what they're called? Using Walker parts, do I just need a resonator assembly (#55431) and a "direct fit" catalytic converter (#16337)? Anything else needed? Like more pipe length or anything? Also, I had these same parts put in exactly three years (75,000 miles) ago and now there's a leak. Idk yet if it's covered under the warranty, but is that a reasonable amount of time for them to last? It seems short. Thank you.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the proper Gen 2 sub-forum.

3. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My experience with using Walker's model specific parts diagrams has been favorable. Granted it was in another vehicle's application but the point is if you purchase all the components listed for your application that should be all that you need short of some fasteners. And by all I mean gaskets, seals etc listed on Walker's model specific parts diagram. My only question for you back to your wrench is, from what component backwards/rearward do you need to start (e.g. exhaust manifold, converter, etc.). IMO when available Direct-Fit components are the way to go. My time is generally worth the additional expense of Direct-Fit component rather than a universal variant.

I'm assuming, which we all know can be bad, but NYS = New York State. If that's the case or if your vehicle is operated in the rust belt three years may not be out of line depending upon the type of road treatment chemicals used and the frequency of use. Where do you believe your current leak is? Has a component rusted through or a sealing gasket or clamp failed? Based on your wrench's comments it sounds like you have greater issues than simply an exhaust leak.