1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exide Orbital Deep Discharge 12V

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mlibanio, Feb 3, 2009.

1. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello everyone,
    I am going to give this battery a try. I have the retrofitted Panasonic Battery from the Toyota TSB on my Classic, which means I have regular North American terminals! At any rate the Panasonic battery is rated at 48Ah, and this one is rated at 50Ah. CCA are useless as this is a deep discharge battery as is needed in the Prius. Venting is a non-issue as it is totally sealed and has chambers that recycle hydrogen gas that is created. It is totally safe and actually designed to be mounted inside trunks and can even be mounted on its side too! The weight is the same as the Panasonic as well at 34 lbs! The physical dimensions are very close, within centimetres of the Panasonic so I am not worried about fit. I will likely custom make a bracket or two, but the added capacity is definitely a seller for me. My 12V is now measuring between 11.8 volts and can go as low as 9.9V from time to time. This Panasonic only lasted two years! and it was $274 at Toyota. I will not do that again. I will keep you all posted on my results!

2. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
  3. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Well I did it! It fits perfectly, plus with a 10 year replacement warranty I have nothing to worry about. If anyone needs help let me know. Its a group 34 battery, and it fits completely without any modification required! It has 45 Ah versus the 28 Ah that is fitted to classics. Bye Bye Panasonic, hello Spiral cells! Heck its even more powerful than Optima Batteries, and it does not need venting either!

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I was looking at their specifications. Which specific model did you go with?

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

5. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I went with the Group 34 battery. It measures out perfectly 8.5" Length x 6.5" W x 7.6" H (not including the poles). The 45 Amp Hour rating is much higher than the stock Prius battery, and is highly recommended by my Toyota Dealership here in Canada. The like the fact that its fully sealed too. It even has a converter inside that recycles hydrogen and oxygen back to water to be used in the battery in the rare event that over charging occurs. Trunk mounting is what it was designed for.