1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Expanding Banner Ads must Die!

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by dogfriend, Sep 16, 2008.

1. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The banner ads for Sharp and Odwalla are getting out of hand. I have nothing against either company (yet) and I understand that the site needs advertising to be able to run, but these ads are screwing up the ability to post and use the search functions.

The new Odwalla ad is particularly egregious because even when it is not expanded, it stays on top of the Search pulldown menu, preventing you from selecting the Advanced Search option. It also interferes with a New Post, blocking the Subject box.

I tried to take a screen shot of this, but the Odwalla banner does not show up in the screen shot.

2. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm glad you said something about it because I thought it was just me. I've been attacked by that evil Odwalla ad twice!:mad::angry: The stupid thing WILL NOT go away when you click collapse. The only way I could get rid of it was to refresh the page. I agree with dogfriend, the Odwalla demon-ad has to go!:mad::frusty:

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree...Danny, I've turned off Ad Block plus for this site b/c I want you to get the sponsor money and all that, but if these expanding ads continue I'm gonna turn it back on to be free of the annoyance.

4. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Geez.

Install AdBlock add-on easily with Firefox 3. Click Tools, Addons, Get Add-Ons, Search All Add-ons, enter Adblock, install it.
    After the firefox restart, chose USA Adblock Filterset.

Next step - even more agressive anti-ads, is to replace your "Hosts" file.
    It's here:
    c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

It has no extension. Google "hosts block ads" - I use www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Your anti-virus or whatever might complain - say "Allow" to the "Hosts file - possible trojan attack". It's just detecting that the file has changed.

Even if I use Internet Explorer I just see two tiny ads - because PriusChat.com is storing / displaying the ad - not some third party.

1 person likes this.
  5. markderail

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When using the hosts file, sometimes you'll get an error (not on this site) because of what is called a click-through.

looks like http: / / media.fastclick.net/something.php?sponsor=123~http: / / the_site_you_really_want.com

Just delete from the first to the next HTTP and hit enter.
    Firefox has another plug-in called "Redirect Remover" that cleans this.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes Mark, ABP works well. But this site costs money to run and Danny's profit comes, in part, from those ads. He makes no money on them if you use ABP. For most sites I don't really care...but for my favorite sites...those I want to support...I keep ABP turned off. Danny has asked if people would please turn off ABP in the past.

In general the ads here have not been intrusive and only with the Sony one and now this fruit drink one have the become so. Hopefully we can get the ad place to remove them...if not, I'm with you and will use ABP.

7. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Evan,

I think this is something all of us have noticed. And while I'm really glad this community continues to grow, and Danny is hopefully doing well with this venture, some of the ads are a bit annoying. We appreciate you keeping your finger on the pulse of this thing!

RD

8. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Are the expanding ads more profitable than regular ads? I agree they are annoying, but I understand they help the site out.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree that the expanding ads are very annoying. One of them collapses again as soon as the mouse moves off it, but another remains expanded after the mouse moves away, meaning that you have to be very careful not to let the mouse move across it or you'll be unable to read a portion of the page.

Both are annoying. The latter is much more annoying.

10. markderail

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went into ADBLOCK in the bottom right, click, then at the top of the new window, WHITELIST.

When you whitelist, you can choose PAGE or WHOLE SITE.

I put Whole Site, and I see a tiny amount of publicity - meaning a very well behaved site - I'll leave as is.

However, I'm still blocking publicity CNN.com !!!!

11. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand the need for ads. However, the clear edge ads block the search function. It is frustrating to not be able to search for something. This could also cause duplication of threads because you can't see if your question has already been answered.

12. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Even though I have priuschat.com whitelisted in Adblock, I still don't see the ads because I have Quantserve, Doubleclick, and the rest of those blocked with Noscript.

Is there any way to say "show ads from doubleclick on Priuschat without showing them anywhere else"?

13. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, you mean like this....

[​IMG]

YES, P.I.A.!!!

I do not mind the static ads, but these active SOB's gotta go!!!

3 people like this.
  14. FxsX24

FxsX24 V8 Powered Chevy S10

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    get firefox and get the add on called FOOF

15. ibmindless

ibmindless Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the tip. I also find these Clear Edge ads extremely annoying. The ads block me from private messages, search functions and even postings near the top of the page.

I do hereby pledge I will never buy anything from a company that chooses to annoy innocent viewers in such a manner. It is no different than scourge cast by spammers and telemarketers.

16. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Noscript lets you allow a page temporarily or permenently irrc. I haven't used Quantserve and Doubleclick. I thought doubleclick was an ad promoter not blocker?

17. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I meant I have them blocked. Quantserve and Doubleclick only exist to shove ads in your face, so they're the first sites I blocked with Noscript (Adblock blocks them automatically by default).

18. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    May they burn in hell...or at least be redirected to the bit bucket.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  19. Jim05

Jim05 Occasional Quasi-Hypermiler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm getting tired of not being able to use my Back function. I hate to leave a great site, but am really getting tired of having to go out of my way to go back a page and monkey around finding where I was. As much as I understand the income coming from the ads, picking the most annoying, pervasive that I've seen in a long time torques me past wanting to come back.

20. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dude, I owe you a beer!!!!

This also works really well on some of the even more
    Obnoxious over popped up, and Ad ridden websites I visit.....

I like Fiefox, good find!

Thanks