1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

expected lifespan of battery?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by jbhybrid, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah the oldest plug-in that Toyotas has were in service at the end of 2012 (IIRC, November time frame) so they're only 4 and a bit years old.

But the regular Prii have been pretty reliable, as you would expect of a Toyota. Of course there are always going to be outliers as no vehicle is perfect.

Our 2005 lasted 11.5 years and 245,000km (157k miles) before it kicked the bucket, just in time for the launch of the Gen 4! Our Gen 3 is still running at 7.5 years, 130,000km (81k miles)

2. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's terrific. I was the original owner of a 2002 Gen 1, the car on the right in my avatar photo. I drove it for four years, would have kept it longer however they had a $3,150 federal tax credit in 2006 so that's when I bought my current Gen 2 (car on the left) which is practically like new after eleven years and 130,000 miles.

Remember in those early years when Prius owners waved at each other on the highway, they were so rare? Remember all the people telling us what a mistake we made, that the car will never pay for itself and that the battery will wear out as soon as the warranty ends and cost $6,000 to replace? And real vitriol by so many people, Prius owners in those early days were viewed as snobs who drove self-righteously with their noses in the air looking down on all the gas guzzlers. Did you ever get smoked by a diesel pickup? I did once, there were videos on YouTube of truck drivers proudly smoking Prius drivers. This amazing vehicle proved them all wrong.

giora, EV-ish and jrodz09 like this.
  3. eman08

eman08 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Never suggest buying a BMW if you care about reliability and you value your assets as those are endless money pit machines. They loose soo much value in depreciation and fall apart as they age.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2011. mine will be 5 in april.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Another factor to consider is the price fall of the Lion batteries 8-12 years from now (if you still have the car and want to renew the battery).

Neural Net likes this.
  6. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's worth pointing out that, just speaking in very broad generalizations, Toyota tends to be conservative in estimates regarding range and lifespan.

However, I've also seen that Japanese cars in general have a tendency to go along with very few problems for the first 150Kmiles or so, after which it seems like everything fails simultaneously! That might be more true of Honda, for example, than Toyota though...

It's also important, with regard to battery life, not to use experience with laptops and cell phones as a guide. Different battery chemistries, different usage patterns/rates, different cooling systems,...

iPhone ? Pro

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm wondering if that's why Toyota is conservative with the Prime's acceleration numbers?

Normally, I would think a car with a bigger battery can supply more power for greater acceleration (like the Volt, Bolt and LEAF). However, I think Toyota wanted to go with a more constant experience regardless of battery SOC or degradation.

IOW, the performance of the Prime will be very close to when it was new even as the car ages. As opposed to a pure EV where performance degrades as the battery charge gets low or as the battery ages and loses capacity. I think CR tested a 10 year old Gen 1 in 2011 and compared it to the "new car review" of the 2001 Prius and found the performance to be nearly identical.

8. jbhybrid

jbhybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just as a note to myself. On 20-FEB-2017 I ran down the battery driving in Eco mode and did a full charge of my one-day-old Prius Prime (from the regular slow 120V charger) which took 7.0 kWh according to my external wattmeter. The charging rate was around 1.25 kW. I do not know what fraction of that energy was usefully stored in the battery, and how much lost as heat.

9. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One thing to keep in mind is the overall maintenance for the Prime. You will find that your car repairs, during the 8 or 10 year reign, will be minimal at best. The battery will perform and do its job just fine. Your are smart to check this out prior to purchase as many are scared away from Hybrid cars because of this. But, looking back on my new car purchases, I always bought another one within 5 years or sooner. So, for me, the 10-15 year time frame (even 8 for that matter) was no problem for me.

10. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you noticed by any chance the battery SOC before plugging in?
    HV portion of battery can be 'full' e.g. just after zero EV miles, or can be 'almost empty' as after driving with no ICE in HV mode for a mile or more. The difference between the two can be 0.5-0.7 kWh on your external wattmeter.
    If you intend to monitor change of battery usable capacity in time and use - best to do it from same (or similar) starting point.