1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Expensive Repair at 100,000 for REPLACE TIMING COVER GASKET

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by LeBeeBee, Oct 21, 2019.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it isn't leaving any drips on the ground after overnight parking, and you aren't losing oil between changes, you can ignore it.

TGrracie and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah it’s cosmetically distressing, but what @bisco said.

3. 2010moneypit?

2010moneypit? Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For over 30 years, I have worked on vehicles professionally. I would not worry about it as others have said, unless it is leaving a spot on the ground.
    Shops over sell jobs way too often! Dealerships have a lot of overhead keep that in mind when choosing a shop to work on your vehicle

4. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I once received an inspection report like that. It showed not only a photo of a timing chain cover leaking much worse than mine was (insignificantly), but also photos of allegedly failing parts that don't even exist on a Prius, complete with scary-high repair estimates. Hmmmm...

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Option one. Lots of these gaskets leak and people just keep oil in them by religiously checking every week. Otherwise one day the engine will burn up from no oil.

Option two is find an independent shop with great personal references. Not google references. Usually there are two or three in every town. At least one. That shop can evaluate the urgency and could reseal for 1/3 to 1/2 of the dealer quote.

By the way, "good service" in the oil change line has nothing to do with the Service Advisor who is not a mechanic but works on a commission.

Do you check the oil weekly?

#25 rjparker, Jan 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
    2010moneypit? likes this.
  6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    They can’t be serious. Defer.

7. Jane M

Jane M New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    XLE
    Thank you all so much for the information and kindness in responding to a non-Prius owner. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it. I used to have a terrific service advisor who basically treated me like his sister and give me all sorts of side advice (on each inspection report) about what I really needed to do and what I didn’t, and what I should go to the parts store and get myself (like a headlight). Sadly, he took his his well deserved retirement last year and now I’m stuck with a friendly young man who is doing exactly what the dealership tells him to do.

It is not dripping on the ground, and that was one of the reasons I decided to do some research on how long I could defer it, and I started to check the oil about every other week. It’s not losing oil, but I will step that up to every week to be more careful.

With my son (hopefully) starting college in the fall, I am trying very hard to get this car to go maybe even another four years. This $3000 repair quote (plus some others, of course) had started making me think I would have to give up on it. But otherwise it’s been a good car. It’s my third Toyota, and I’ve always been happy with the cars but less than satisfied with the bloated service operations. Now that my old service advisor retired, I am definitely going to have to start looking harder.

Again, thank you all so very much. I am very very grateful.

Jane

Air_Boss, CR94 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  8. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the comments. Considering my somewhat similar experience, it's possible the photos they showed you are fakes, not even of your car.

Air_Boss likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Seeing for yourself is good; post #3 has a method for doing that.

10. GregC1979

GregC1979 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    yes absurd amount, but to do it correctly as well as (if applicable) head gasket...the engine does need to come out. Putting silicone and mating the surface correctly is (almost) impossible with 1 person...needs two.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Whoa, head gasket now? Are you a service writer? :ROFLMAO:

2010moneypit? likes this.
  12. GregC1979

GregC1979 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I am. In my opinion (as likely yours) it's best to probably wait until the factory head gasket goes (and it will) to replace the silicone gasket around the Timing cover instead of paying someone $1700+ just to fix a lite seapage of oil that's really not a huge deal. Engine out of car=easy to do both jobs easily and thoroughly. I would entertain the idea to someone whose car may already have 150k+ on the ticker to be preemptive on the head gasket and save labor costs ahead of time. (You know, since the timing cover has to come off anyway and budget permitting). "Passion with Perfection" as someone says begins with efficiency and honesty...and I know how hard to set that timing cover is properly with your arms stuck through the wheel well. 1000% easier on an engine stand!

mikey_t, Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  13. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Lots of mechanics with lifts probably agree. Drop the engine Toyota style and fix it right.

GregC1979 likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Gasket Masters apply the FIPG to the cover instead of the machined engine faces, and use a North American sealant with longer setup time. I think they do apply the specd horizontal beads to the engine face, at the split lines. Without removing the engine. Seems to work.

I appreciate you do this for a living, and I’m totally out of my depth.

#34 Mendel Leisk, Jan 21, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
  15. GregC1979

GregC1979 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    It's also much easier install the head to block, and to torque head bolts the correct way when the engine is out on a stand as well. That way, any other plethora of parts also gets put back on the correct way. This is key to a healthy head gasket moving forward for the next 200k miles with no issues, that is if the owner is responsible with their routine maintenance :)

mikey_t likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’m hoping to keep the head gasket on ours happy for the duration, with regular EGR cleaning.

17. GregC1979

GregC1979 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Just remember, there's no 300k, 500k, 1 Million mile Gen 3 Prius out there on the original head gasket. (If yes, it's a 16-17 CT or Prius V) all others are lying to ya' !

mikey_t likes this.
  18. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prove it!

19. GregC1979

GregC1979 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    The ones making those claims have to prove it. I see these cars all day, every day, and listen to all the fairy tales.

mikey_t likes this.