1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

experience/advice using 1.25 hitch with adapter for bike rack

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by johnsoli, Mar 15, 2012.

1. johnsoli

johnsoli New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive a 2008 Prius and have a Saris Thelma bike rack with a 2 inch bar that I would like to use. I understand that my Prius can only have a 1.25 inch receiver hitch as the 2 inch hitch by Curt is no longer made. What are your thoughts about having a Draw Tite 1.25 inch receiver hitch installed and using a hitch adapter to allow the use of my Saris rack? Will the extra length of the adapter be a problem? I will only be carrying 2 road bikes plus the Saris rack. Will the adapter be able to hold the weight? Will the rack stick out too far behind the car or hit the pavement?
    Thanks for your help!
    Lisa

2. uwsslh

uwsslh New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Lisa,

Last summer I installed a Curt 1.25 hitch on my 2008 Prius so that I could use my Saris T-Bones hitch bike rack. I don't have knowledge of the Draw Tite hitch but am happy with the Curt. FYI U-Haul sells and installs hitches that are made by Curt.

My T-Bone Saris receiver is 1.25 inches and it comes with a 2 inch adapter so that it will work with either size. I've carried 2 bikes on my rack with no problem - I plan to keep the total weight of bikes plus the Saris rack under 100 lbs to be safe.

You said that the Thelma has a 2 inch bar -- is the bar 2 inches or is the bar 1.25 inches but with a 2 inch adapter? The new Thelma racks have a 1.25 inch bar and have a 2 inch adapter. Unless you have an older model that has a 2 inch bar you will not need an adapter and there should be no problem.

You may want to contact Saris.com with any questions. I found them to be very helpful. The website also has manuals and installation videos for their hitches.

Good luck
    Steve

3. Bliz

Bliz The Man

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Using an adapter is fine, I've done it with my Thule bike rack with 2 heavy beach cruisers without a problem. The adapter probably adds 10 pounds and about 6 inches.

4. johnsoli

johnsoli New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [/QUOTE]
    You said that the Thelma has a 2 inch bar -- is the bar 2 inches or is the bar 1.25 inches but with a 2 inch adapter? The new Thelma racks have a 1.25 inch bar and have a 2 inch adapter. Unless you have an older model that has a 2 inch bar you will not need an adapter and there should be no problem.

You may want to contact Saris.com with any questions. I found them to be very helpful. The website also has manuals and installation videos for their hitches.

Good luck
    Steve[/QUOTE]

Steve,
    My Thelma bike rack by Saris is connected to the hitch by a bar with a 2 inch square hole. I know the hitches that can be installed on the 2008 Prius are 1.25 inch receiver hitches. So that means I have to have an adapter added between the bike rack and the hitch. The adapter adds weight, length, and also reduces the tongue weight the hitch is able to hold. That's why I'm concerned about using all these pieces together.

The suggestion to contact Saris is a good one as is the reassurance from Bliz that he's used an adapter without any problems. I just don't want to be doing all this and then find out the hitch will bend under the weight or the added length will make the hitch under the car scrape the ground. Thank you Steve and Bliz for your replies!
    Lisa