1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Experience from Toyota service center

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Hai Le, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Hai Le

Hai Le New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hi everyone,

I just owned this car for 2 years so I consider myself not experience much.
    Yesterday I brought my car to Toyota service center in Sydney, Aus. They did engine oil change, inverter and engine coolant change. When I drove back home, I noticed the car did not run smoothly like it was before, the engine was loud.
    When I open the engine bay, I notice something:
    - oil split everywhere on the engine and wiper area.
    - oil overfill when I check oil dipstick, also some oil on the brake fluid tank.
    - inverter coolant not reach the full mark
    - engine coolant is overfill over the full mark, which drops a lot of coolant on the bottom cover.

My concern is "Are these issues serious?" I read on this forum that:
    - Overfill engine oil can damage the car.
    - coolant can cause damage to plastic/rubber parts, or paints.

I just want to ask idea from experts here first before going back to Toyota service center.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Go back to the dealer and get them to clean the car and check fluids.

3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Also contact the corporate consumer liaison at Toyota and make it known to them.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, serious issues. but typical dealer service, unfortunately.

if you can, try to find a reputable private mech in the future

edthefox5 likes this.
  5. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely sloppy work which is why I stopped taking my Prius to the dealer a few years ago. The last time I took my car in, they overfilled my oil and I ended up using a cheapo harbor freight transfer pump to remove excess oil through the dipstick (be careful not to get a tube stuck in there though). In your situation, since you mentioned the car felt rough after the service, I'd take it right back to them and speak directly with the manager.

The inverter coolant low level and high level is almost the same. My main concern with the coolant changes, based on the overall negligence shown, is if they adequately bled all the air from the two loops. I'm assuming no warning lights have come on? Check to see if your heat works properly. Another check, this time for the inverter loop, is to start the car in IG-on mode (two presses with foot off brake) and then listen to the inverter pump which should sound like a smooth hum.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was watching this yesterday:

He explains the dealership mechanic employment process, how junior mechanics tend to be set loose on oil changes and tire rotations. Perhaps without adequate supervision, or a supervisor with poor attitude.

There seems to be this "they can't get into too much trouble doing basic stuff" attitude, but...

One thing dealerships note in their maintenance packages is "fluid top ups", many/most are not needed, ore done excessively.

#6 Mendel Leisk, Jan 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh no they did a engine coolant change…..I can almost guarantee you that coolant loop is air locked.

Like Rogerthat said see if the heat works asap. If not the coolant loop is air locked which is very very bad. You can easily overheat the engine and blow the head gasket and you will never know because there is no temp gauge. With heat on listen carefully under the dash for water gurgling sounds or water rushing sounds.
    Any sounds under there is really bad as you have an airlock.

Take the black plastic cover off the top of the rad that should be easy as they probably left the screws out. Under that cover is the rad fill cap so with cool engine open that cap and engine coolant should be right at the top of the neck.
    Yours won’t be.
    Btw the coolant level in that plastic over flow tank is meaningless on a g2 it could be full and the coolant inthe block low or empty, you must open the rad cap. I leave the screws out of that black plastic cover so I can check the coolant level routinely. The hood traps it in place when closed.

I will be shocked if they actually changed the coolant. If they did it’s airlocked.
    Takes alot of time to get the air out of a g2 system that has a coolant thermos for the CHRS. It would be very expensive at $200 an hour to do this job correctly.

And oil change at the dealer is not done by a mechanic it’s done by minimum wage knuckleheads with pneumatic oil pumps in the very back of the building where they make sure there’s plenty of oil in there oh yes there will plenty of oil in there….