1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Experience with Ethanol-Free Gas?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Sporin, Aug 30, 2017.

?
  1. I don't Ethanol-Free Gas.

60.0%
  2. I use Ethanol-Free Gas and see a signifigant jump in MPG.

11.1%
  3. I use Ethanol-Free Gas and DO NOT see a signifigant jump in MPG.

8.9%
  4. I use Ethanol-Free Gas and see a SMALL jump in MPG.

20.0%
  1. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That depends on what side of the fence a person is on. Sad but true - they will be defended to the end by those on their side, even when faced with irrefutable facts. Sad...

2. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a site with every tweet made categorizing the tone, it appears over 90% are negative or personal attacks.

If you want more positive coverage you’ve got to start with what you say yourself .
    That shouldn’t be political or hard to understand.

It would be different if we were talking about the historical extremely negative media coverage and personal attacks that occurred on a saint like (histories greatest evil according to some) Jimmy Carter.
    But that doesn’t seem to be what’s happening.

dubit likes this.
  3. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow! You have E0 gasoline right in your own city AND two other sources! I'd make them bid for your business! That's great! Yes, your post agrees with my information that I have posted in the past. While the "ethanol in gasoline industry" has only been able to float 4000 (their own data..... which is often wrong) U.S. sources for E85 (because people hate E85?), word-of-mouth has helped expand 100% ethanol-free gasoline(E0) to almost 14,000 sources. Yes, Mississippi has 427 E0 sources, 10+% of E85 in the entire country.
    You have rivers, lakes & oxbows that have to be a delight to visit! You're not too far from the Mississippi River, too! I'd go to the Mississippi River, just to watch (& feel) the gargantuan flowing waters & ocean going ships, hours on end. I would even get a good map with sounding depths of the River. If I'd been on a raft in the middle of the Mississippi River like Jim & Huck Finn, I would be scared to death. I've crossed the magnificent Mississippi River, but north of the Missouri, Ohio, Illinois, & Platt Rivers Confluences.

#123 litesong, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Robert Holt likes this.
  4. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IF you filled up with 87 octane E15, the gasoline component only had an 82.3 octane rating. If you bought 90 octane E15, your gasoline component is still only 85.8 octane. The "ethanol in gasoline industry" wants E15, not just to make more money. But, its easier to confuse consumers with percentages & flapjaw.
    As an example of simplicity, 87 octane E20 would have the gasoline component octane rating down to ~ 80 octane.
    Gasoline engine engineers designed 87 octane engines to burn 87 octane ethanol-free gasoline (E0) most efficiently.

#124 litesong, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Robert Holt likes this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Last 2 weeks ago at a prius meetup, I was able to clean my intake manifold. Averaging 63 mpgs per tank for the last 6 months while using a fuel addictive to "neutralize" ethanol in E10 so I'm all for E0. Winter blends hasn't affected MPGs either with the additive. After the intake manifold was removed, some of the guys asked me how many miles were on the engine. They said the ports on the fuel injector looks cleaner than most Prius with the same mileage- the gumming, carbon deposits & etc. Give credit to the fuel additive for keeping the ports in that shape. If E0 was available close by, I'd pay extra for it. 3% mpg increase isn't that big w/E0, but keeping your engine cleaner is bigger to me. Saw results with my own eyes, and others that were there.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Dude seriously....

Have you completely forgotten that we have had this conversation repeatedly. I once filled up a Nissan Titan with E85 just so I could post here that I did it - only to irritate you. I will continue to put in whatever is cheapest at the pump, just like everyone else & I honestly could give a crap about your ethanol in gasoline industry.

7. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The condescending post of dubit tries to cover up info that the "ethanol in gasoline industry" continues methods to dilute the nation's excellent fuel supply(E0). No one has mentioned the actual AND down-rated gasoline component octane rating of E15.
    So I repeat, what no one here has ever mentioned, AND only for the 2nd time AND only in answer to a demeaning post, that:
    IF you fill up with inaccurately "designated" 87 octane E15, the gasoline component only has an 82.3 octane rating. If you buy inaccurately "designated" 90 octane E15, your gasoline component is still only 85.8 octane.
    ////////
    It remains obvious that 87 octane ethanol-free E0 has gasoline that is 87 octane. Actual & true 87 octane E0 burned effectively in my five designed low compression ratio, 87 octane gasoline engines have provided 8%, 8%, 7%-8%, 7% & 5% better MPG than inaccurately "designated" 87 octane ethanol blend E10. Inaccurately "designated" 87 octane E15 can only be expected to further lower MPG for designed low compression ratio, 87 octane gasoline engines.

#127 litesong, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sigh. Like flat earthers, anti-vaxxers and intelligent designers, no amount of facts will sway folks who did not use facts to get into their position. litesong has some theory about the purity of the gasoline mixture and no amount of mere facts will change that delusion. It is just extra money, let him spend it. At least he is not killing children.

kc5dlo and dubit like this.
  9. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ethanol is THE proper fuel for high compression ratio (16:1) ethanol engines designed to burn 114 octane ethanol. But, the unpaid employees of the "ethanol in gasoline industry" quickly leap to demean the knowledge that 114 octane ethanol can NOT perform properly in designed 87 octane low compression ratio gasoline engines. All this is in preparation to stuff E15 in gasoline tanks.

10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You did not post peer reviewed sources for your claims.

Rmay635703 and kc5dlo like this.
  11. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    which additive you're using?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NEWS FLASH TO THE GASOLINE ENGINE VEHICLE INDUSTRY! JimboPalmer takes exception with the fact that gasoline engineers, who design 87 octane low compression ratio, gasoline engines, deem 87 octane ethanol-free gasoline the most efficient fuel to power their constructed products.
    In addition:
    Grass-roots (unfunded) pure-gas.org now lists OVER 14,000 sources for E0, while the EPA & strong lobbying "ethanol in gasoline industry" can only uppy-daisy E85 to 4000 (less?) sources.

#132 litesong, Feb 26, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  13. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So much for peer reviewed sources.

kc5dlo, fuzzy1 and dubit like this.
  14. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jimbo doesn't believe gasoline engine engineers, who designed 87 octane gasoline engines to most efficiently burn 87 octane, 100% ethanol-free gasoline(87 octane E0).

15. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Actually, you not cited a single article by any engineers.

kc5dlo likes this.
  16. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    jumbo doesn't believe that low compression ratio, 87 octane gasoline engines give their best MPG while using 87 octane ethanol-free gasoline (E0).
    1) My EPA highway rated 42MPG Ford Festiva, gave me 50.1MPG...... while on a 380+ mile trip, ascending & descending 11,000 feet of mountain passes....... efficiently burning 100% ethanol-free gasoline (E0).
    2) Last summer, my EPA highway rated 32MPG Hyundai Accent gave 18 tanks in a row, that were over 40MPG. E0 was used in the majority of tanks AND gave the highest MPG tanks at 45, 47+, & 48+ MPG
    3) The Elantra was so bad-mouthed by lead-footers, who couldn't get the advertised highway 40MPG, Hyundai had to down-rate it to 38MPG. My Elantra, completely using E0 in its first year, in all driving applications, averaged 39MPG. The first tank was 42MPG driving with 3 people, highway driving to 66MPH, up & down hills hundreds of feet in elevation AND in two cites & a town. Highest Elantra MPG ever, with E0 was 45MPG.
    4) Using E10, at times, in all vehicles mentioned (& others too), E10 never gave, in decades of driving, MPG performance, such as mentioned above for E0.

#136 litesong, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NEWS FLASH TO PRIUSCHAT READERS! Litesong repeatedly takes exception to any disagreement on this ethanol issue, and responds with name calling, personal insults, false claims about respondent's words and beliefs, and other ad hominem disparagements.

Terms of Service and Rules | PriusChat
    "You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this site to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, ..."

dubit likes this.
  18. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The absolute truth.

19. litesong

litesong Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nah! But, I do take exception with the "ethanol in gasoline industry" propaganda (& their propagators) that are longstanding lies.

20. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    And that is why I never tell any, merely correct the lies I see.

Rmay635703, kc5dlo and fuzzy1 like this.