1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Experienced Hybrid Driver - What to Look For? - Buying 06 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Artric, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Artric

Artric Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [I posted this in the Newbie Forum but didn't get a reply after a whole day...]

Howdy!

I’ve owned two G1 Insights (used to hypermile up to 130MPG+), one Civic Hybrid ‘07 very briefly (totaled after one month) and I’m now driving an ‘07 Escape Hybrid with 230k+ miles on it. I also was one of the first to build and sell grid chargers almost a decade ago for the Insight.

By no means bragging, ha!

But I have the opportunity to buy a 2006 Prius in great shape with less than 80k miles, one owner, under $4k! The only thing is... I’ve never even driven a Prius.

I’d appreciate any tips on what to look for when checking it out. I know Hondas will do positive/negative re-cals when the battery is weak. But they’ll run great with a crap battery. I even removed and ran an Insight without one for a bit! But the Prius is toast without it...

I trust who I’m buying it from. He pics up cars at auctions and sells them quick vs sitting on them and milking them for top dollar. I’ve already bought a few from him. This car was 201 of 202 on the auction block and most people were done for the day, so he’s able to get his usual markup and still sell it dirt cheap.

Please let me know what the first things you’d look for and anything that might throw up red flags for a Prius guru. Veeeerrrry much appreciate any help I can get! I’m a single dad of two every day and don’t have time to deal with a lemon.

I’ll post some pics and other info shortly...

2. Artric

Artric Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    biggest thing is, prius doesn't work with a bad battery, and these batteries don't like age. so plan on around $3,000. for a new one eventually.

4. Artric

Artric Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear that!! Obviously, the HV battery is the biggest concern.

On first inspection/test drive, what would you do to put the battery through its paces? How can I tell if it's working great, or not so well?

5. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The easiest way to test it out is to see how fast the bars cycle on the display. If the bars cycle fast, it is an early indication that the battery is starting to degrade;).

There are options though. If caught early enough, you can maintain the battery pack and extend its life:).

Being a previous Insight owner, you might be familiar with the Hybrid Automotive name and equipment as @jeff652 is active in the Insight community:

Prolong Battery Systems. Extending the life of your hybrid. – Hybrid Automotive

One option to consider;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

Aaron Vitolins and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    reset the average mpg's on the mfd, take her for a good long test drive under varied conditions, and see how the mpg's shake out.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice pictures, very pretty car! I don't have much to add to what Ray @ Co. have said, although I'd seriously consider what Hybrid Automotive have to offer (as has been mentioned!) My 2009 Gen II has just rolled over 126,000 miles, and I've been doing TheProlongGridThing for the past 2 years, and have certainly noticed an improvement (see Ray's "HowFastTheBarsChange Test"). Welcome to PriusChat, and Good Luck!! ;)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    164k miles on our 2010 Prius II with 164 k miles and going strong :).

Will end up doing a top end charge probably soon as I am beginning to see the bars starting to cycle more;).

But I have a solution to that problem(y).

bisco and SFO like this.
  9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Read the link in my signature.

10. Artric

Artric Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the posts, guys!

I had one of the early packs from Hybrid Auromotive in my second Insight. I really hope quality is better, because that thing was just junk. Glad I wasn’t the one who paid for it, but I paid a pretty penny for the car.

The pack is still taking up space in my garage.

11. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We don't sell batteries, so if you are referring to a battery pack that would have been someone else. We sell Prolong Battery Systems, which are used to restore and recondition existing battery packs:
    Prolong Battery Systems. Extending the life of your hybrid - Hybrid Automotive

WilDavis likes this.
  12. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am somewhat surprised by your comments, since I found the quality of all the products I bought from HA to be first-class and used components of the highest quality. I speak from experience as in a previous life I worked as an Electronics Engineer for the United Kindom Atomic Energy Authority and recognize quality when I see it (but believe me quality does not come cheap! :eek: …you gets what you pays for! :rolleyes: ) ;)

Edit: When I worked for the UKAEA (early 1970s) we used Lemo connectors (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LEMO )
    Check 'em out, they don't come cheap, and somewhere there might still be my Dad's old Austin Ten fitted with a parking-light powered by a Lemo connector (from the 100% DiscountStore¹) fitted by yours-truly… (…ah, those were the days!)

¹ - Culham Laboratory's Main Store ( :eek::eek: ) ;)

#12 WilDavis, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Artric

Artric Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m really sorry! I must have had your company’s name confused. I didn’t mean to slander you! But that battery was just junk, ugh. Whichever company ripped off my insight’s prior owner deserves a spanking.

I’ll edit or delete that part so it doesn’t come up in a search and potentially hurt you. Thank you for setting me straight!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. Artric

Artric Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ugh, I can’t find a way to edit that post. I’m on iOS. Anyone help? Or if a kid sees this, can you delete it?

15. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have found that operating the AC system while parked is a fairly good measure of battery capacity. If the bars move quickly from high to low and back AND never achieve Green status but do get to Pink (bottom), the pack is ready for replacement. Also, when we bought our '05, I could get about 5-8 MILES of EV only operation on level roads and low speeds, in the days before we lost module #6, it was blocks.

16. Fredsimm

Fredsimm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    For clarification, are you saying that you can idle a Prius with the air conditioning on and it will eventually go green, or are you saying the bars should turn green at times while you drive? My 07 runs awesome, but is never green when idling for extended periods. I maintain 45.5 on the lie-o-meter.

17. Fredsimm

Fredsimm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My personal experience. I've bought 2 used Prii. Usually the overall condition of the car is important. If it looks neglected, it was neglected. Both of mine were mint, and turned out to be nice cars. I highly suggest you download the Toyota owners app and type your vin in to check maintenance history. One of my prii has had 2 inverter pumps replaced under warranty. The other has had one pump replaced. One has had Mobil 1 oil changes up until I bought it. The app will tell you what state it was bought in and all recorded Toyota maintenance work. Unfortunately, both have original hv packs. Good luck.