1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Experimental approach to getting charger

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Oct 17, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So we had a meeting on Sunday at a local, 5-Points eatery:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can not predict whether or not we'll have any luck. But the principles are:
    • Other shopping centers and places have EV chargers and they are being used ... by EV owners.
    • EV owners will use less-desirable parking places and shop in the stores
      • Unpopular parking places avoids conflicts with ordinary ICE vehicles
    • Realistic electrical and charging station costs with an offer
    • Business provides circuit, EV owner provides a Level 2 EVSE, management and maintenance
      • Show that the L2 EVSE is real (and we brought it to meeting)
    I think EV owners have been too passive in asking for charging stations BUT we need to 'belly up to the bar.' Offering to support an initial, operational configuration changes from 'feel good' beggar to 'here's my commitment.' We don't have to be passive, wishers but we can initiate the changes.

Bob Wilson

hill and Robert Holt like this.
  2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When the plugshare website 1st came into existence , we marked our residence as a spot for charging. There were very limited places back in March 2011. We had to quickly put the kibosh to the whole idea. There was one deadbeat chick in a Volt who was nothing but a parasite. Went out of her way to abuse our generosity, & at the same time, made our offer (for early ev adopters) worthless, as she'd simply show up to top off while potentially blocking folks who might actually need to get somewhere important, like home - who didn't actually have both a gas/battery hybrid. Tesla has the best network - because it's maybe 25X faster, & it's compatibility/difference stops the parasitic deadbeat abusers who make necessary urgent chargers (often) useless. I've noticed how people will bitch, when public charging prices are more than gas, but folks really shouldn't ... because this assures that a spot will be freed up to people who are truly needing to get somewhere, who otherwise couldn't get somewhere.

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am not opposed to a token charge, literally a token given by the businesses. The reason is it slows the parasites.

Bob Wilson

hill likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Here is the answer: Meters & Timers | Monarch Coin & Security Inc.

[​IMG]

No token inventory or mechanism to jam. Water proof, it can fit easily on the outside of the EVSE. But with a hard time, 1 hour, it makes using the EVSE 'fair' as a timer can be. Yes, larger chargers get more but they don't get to hog the EVSE without a break.

Bob Wilson

Bluegrassman likes this.
  5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV

• Don't know how that installation adventure will turn for your group - but many areas that mandate by legislation handicap spots, are now doing the same thing for vehicles that charge .... namely, premium/close/up front parking has to consider the (primarily just overweight) handicapped. Of course you're good to go until the
      1st complaint comes in. That's usually some solo practitioner Fly by Night ambulance chasing - attorney Shakedown artist looking for a quick arm twisting buck. It's okay if I smear my own kind, right?

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's a scary looking wall - does it's facility come with a squad of marines? or the whole platoon. This coming from a guy once raised in Compton - just south of Watts. Don't tell ME white guys can't run.

Who knows! ... Google Maps shows its only 1hr-55 minutes from our Tennessee home near Franklin. We might get to meet up again someday. Been a few years since we all were in Detroit.

#7 hill, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We're hoping it will scare off the gas-holes.

Bob Wilson

bisco and hill like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was thinking the same, but didn't want to mention it.