1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Experts: maintaining a good working hybrid battery?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by kutcht1, Feb 19, 2014.

1. kutcht1

kutcht1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So now that some of these Prius Gen 1 cars are experiencing some issues with their hybrid batteries has there been things learned along the way that those who have not yet had issues can do to keep it going? I am asking this in that I have only had my 2002 Prius for four months and it is running perfect with no issues. If there is something I can do to keep this battery maintained that this community has learned along the way I would like that info as I am sure other members as well. I am hopeful that the knowledge that has been gained is not "drive it until you have problems then put in a new battery at $1500". It just seems almost every week there are a few individuals that experience problems. Do we just leave well enough alone? Balance the battery every 6 months? Thanks!
    TomK

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, if you want to take it out and do a balance/capacity charge on it, thats up to you, It is a lot of work but would likely increase your battery life. Me personally, I wouldn't touch it unless it has a problem. Leave well enough alone. If its broke, thats a different story but, if it ain't broke, you know the rest. :)

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Lessons learned:
    • "Heat is the enemy" - this is what kills the battery as the first generation modules have relatively weak terminal seals and higher internal resistance. BUT this is only relative to the subsequent and current models.
    • Park in the shade in the summer so the sun won't pre-heat the battery. If you must park in the sun, trunk on the 'shady side.'
    • Go up tall hills following semi-trailer trucks or 55 mph. This avoids drawing significant current from the traction battery so it won't go through a charge-heat-pump cycle later.
    • Descend tall hills in "B" to reduce charge-heat-pump cycles. Charging an NiMH cell generates heat and some gas. Using "B" avoids putting an extra charge on the battery so it can stay a little cooler
    • Consider getting a Prius-aware scanner, say a Scangauge II and monitor the traction battery temperatures. Less is best
    Bob Wilson

Oc.dreamer, yotatoter and usnavystgc like this.