1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Explain (in simple terms ) Computer Has to Re-learn after the 12volt battery is disconnected.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by monoshock, Jul 27, 2022.

1. monoshock

monoshock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same as title. What dies the computer have to relearn ? How long does this process take ?
    Reason for asking, I installed a new NexCell battery and the first 3 or 4 energy pellets ( : ) fuel gauge) the car was only getting 42 mpg, after that the MPG's started to go up. Today on the ride home it is getting 52.7 mpg.
    I was getting 50-51 with this car before the NexCell update.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    On some days I get this in a Gen 2 with a Toyota battery with an engine that's wore slap out with 300,000 mi so I don't know exactly what all has to relearn per se it depends I think also how long the 12 volt is disconnected that may be another thing I would think just plugging in a nexcel battery and starting to drive. I was in 25 35 mi everything should be starting to square up I disconnect I used to disconnect my 12 volt all the time and it didn't seem much was being relearned The minute I hooked the 12 volt back up I would beat my mileage wouldn't even change on my MFD it's always 47.8 I get that with the car running poorly. When the battery was bad and I was running on the ice full time I was getting 39 37 to 39 consistently running the hell out of the car

monoshock likes this.
  3. monoshock

monoshock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found this video that my be the answer.