1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exploding Side Glass

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by CardiffChris, Jun 9, 2015.

1. CardiffChris

CardiffChris Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    II
    While on the Freeway driving through a questionable neighborhood my passenger side rear door window shattered with a BOOM.
    The road wasn't bumpy, there was no debris that I saw, no paint damage, no projectiles found in the car.
    It wasn't a hot day by any means....68 to 70 degrees.
    Kids with a BB Gun or just one of those crazy things.

PS $359.00 for the local windshield installer to drop by my house and repair it.
    They even vacuumed up the glass.
    No Injuries except to my wallet.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or a rock? glad you're okay! you have questionable neighborhoods by the sea?:cool:

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe a BB, pellet, or ball/rock from a slingshot? If velocity was low, it could've shattered the glass, but bounced back and not end up inside the vehicle.

At least no personal injury resulted. Glad you came out relatively ok.

4. mg555

mg555 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, that is horrible! Thankfully it didn't cause you to have an accident. What a crazy thing to have happen. Sad to think that some kids would do such a thing and think it was "fun". Bizarre world.....

5. CardiffChris

CardiffChris Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    II
    805 north between 43rd street off-ramp and 47th street off ramp.
    From the Grassy Knoll I suspect.

220 miles(for work) in my 1995 Honda Del Sol 5 speed.
    Cramped,Bouncy,Noisy,Cheap Stereo and Very Low To the ground.
    At least it has decent A/C
    I'll be very happy to get back in my Prius Tomorrow

#5 CardiffChris, Jun 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was there any traffic on that side of the car? If not, was there a sidewall or barrier for a rock or other road debris to bounce from?

Last year, the driver side wing window of my Forester exploded on I-70 in Colorado, moments after I saw and shifted away from a pair of rocks (large baker potato size) that fell off a passing flatbed truck and bounce from the lane stripes up to my eye level. Part of the mirror housing also shattered, it probably deflected the rock towards the window. The timing of the visible rocks wasn't quite right, so it was probably an unseen third rock. The rock itself did not enter the car, but some fragments took a few paint chips off the A pillar.

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Remembering that all auto glass is tempered, ANY flaw in the glass (you won't see them), or a tiny scratch (you can usually see that if you look carefully), will concentrate the strain at that point. Eventually it will release explosively.

Windshields are two layers of tempered glass with plastic in the middle to hold it together if/when it fails.

If you have polarized sunglasses have a look at the windows. You can actually see the strain tempering imparts. Tempering imparts a very high resistance to failure, but not a total resistance. It also ensures the glass will fail to very small pieces, usually small enough they can't kill you.

It could have been -something- thrown, either by someone or another vehicle, or it could have just been time. My experience (observation) is failure is rare, but does happen.

DO have a close look at the gap where the seat back and seat bottom come together. Often tiny pieces of the broken window hide in there and slowly cut the material.