1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extended Warranty and routine servicing

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by camner, Sep 6, 2011.

1. camner

camner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a 2007 Gen II with an extended warranty, and of course to keep the extended warranty valid, one needs to do the routine maintenance on the vehicle. I'm coming up on my 30K service, and there is a local shop (non dealer) that I've been taking my (non Prius) vehicles to for years, and they priced the items on the 30K service at about 50% of what the dealer would charge for the same stuff.

Is there any reason I can't have the local shop do the stuff rather than dealer? Does that impact the extended warranty in any way?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There is no reason that the local shop cannot do the work for you. Just be sure the materials they use meet or exceed Toyota's requirements and save the receipt as evidence that the maintenance work was performed at the required mileage interval.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree with JD, you are allowed to use any shop or DIY. Make sure you save receipts that show what was done and what products were used. A Prius Tech that posted on here a few years back suggested writing the VIN on the receipts. You can also go to Toyota Owners - Official Toyota Owners Website create an account and log your maintenance.

Requirements for the normal new car warranty are the same as for the Toyota extended warranty.